Author Topic: So now we are the number 1 most hated?  (Read 5933 times)

So now we are the number 1 most hated?
« on: May 02, 2008, 12:54:29 PM »

Offline klg05

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
So according to Lang Whitaker at SI.com, any team from Boston (Celtics, Sox, Pats) are the most hated now, followed by the Yankees and the Lakers.  And not just because our teams win so much, but because we as fans are POOR WINNERS.

"1. Any Major Team From Boston: The Red Sox, Celts and Patriots currently occupy that number one slot. Not so much because they all have more money than the treasury and have basically managed to assemble All-Star teams, but because they all win, all the time, and their fans love nothing more than to make sure everyone else knows about this. And nobody loves a winner who rubs it in."

So do we like this?  Or are we embarassed?  As someone who has loved to hate the Yankess and Lakers for a long time, I am conflicted.  Is this just good for sports?  Or bad for our image?  (Hmm, do we have an image?)

Re: So now we are the number 1 most hated?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:59:50 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
We payed our dues y living through the 90's didn't we?

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 01:16:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Let `em hate (AND LOSE) :P

hmmm, maybe that was the attitude they were talking about?  Oh well...Screw em anyhow!  LOSERS! :P :P
Yup

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 01:21:10 PM »

Offline CelticPride

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 28
Just another way to sell magazines.

As a fan of the Sox, Celts and Pats, I have an appreciation of rooting for losing teams and have genuine sympathy for fans of teams like the Indians, Royals, Wizards etc.

The only fan I bother ragging on is the fan from New York. Only because they have practically three different teams in each market so one of the three is bound to be having a good year.

For the most part, I win with good grace and lose with good grace. Although I gotta say, I prefer the winning :)

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 01:31:19 PM »

Offline klg05

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
I guess it sort of bothers me because #2 is the Yankees, a team from New York, and #3 is the Lakers, a team from LA.  Only in our case do they hate the entire city of Boston in general!

By the way, is anyone else bothered by the fact that in Atlanta they have been playing "Dirty Water" and the "Cheers" theme song to mock Boston?  I don't think we do anything like that....wait...I don't think Atlanta has any songs, do they?

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 01:44:13 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
[dang], the Yankees can't win in anything anymore, can they?   8)

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 01:57:20 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
[dang], the Yankees can't win in anything anymore, can they?   8)

lolololol TP for you man.

I live in Ohio, and every chance I get I sport my Boston sports gear when I go out.  Amazingly often, especially later in the evening when some folks may have had a bit to drink, people just walk up to me and start talking about how much they hate Boston sports and our fans.

I think part of it is sour grapes, part of it is that everybody loves an underdog and, by extension, hates an empire.  But I think an equally large part of it is how the media has portrayed us.  I mean, of course people hate the Patriots when ESPN kept shoving them down everyone's throats for years.  And of course people got tired of the Red Sox when they suffered a constant barrage of Red Sox hype after the world series.  I don't really blame them.

Typically people don't talk trash about the Cs though, and whenever a real NBA fan (few and far between out here) talks to me, they give much respect to the Cs and appreciate that all the real Celtics fans had to pay their dues with a lot of mediocrity.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 02:06:44 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
I don't think it's a Boston thing. Red Sox have the payroll and as a fan of one of the many teams that don't it's hard to give that kind of team any kind of love (no offense, try being a Blue Jays fan for a few years and watch the financial risks that have to be taken year after year to try to break even, you'll sympathize). Throw on top of that every time they make an out or win a game in the playoffs it's considered one of the greatest plays in baseball history because Red Sox fans tell everybody it is, the rest of us just want it all to go away. Pats haven't exactly been a blue print of fair play and joviality throughout the league, not that they should be but I appreciate their resentment. But the C's I have no clue why they're hated as much as they are. Some morons out there think the team was bought by raking in guys like KG and Ray but considering they were bought with young talent less than they were with money that's hogwash. They could be annoyed by us because we never shut up but I'll accept that any day. Or maybe they have Barkleyitis, lingering resentment from the old days which results on using the weak conference as a clutch to cling onto knowing it's too late for their pathetic team(s) to slow down the green freight train.

I will say this being an out of towner, don't hammer me here because I'm just stating what I think is fact based on the people I've dealt with over the years, Boston sports fans know more about their own teams and less about the rest of the league than 90 percent of sports fans out there. Sometimes to a level of absolute ignorance, and IMO that doesn't give someone a right to talk down to someone else when their team's on top.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 02:18:23 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think the newer, more bandwagon type of Sox, Pats, and Celts fans are all insufferable.  They just tend to be rude and overbearing, like the team's success somehow validates their life.  The diehards, though, are as knowledgeable and committed a fan base as you'll find.  Anyone who has stuck with the team through the Pitino years, followed by last year's tank job, has my respect.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 02:34:41 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I think the newer, more bandwagon type of Sox, Pats, and Celts fans are all insufferable.  They just tend to be rude and overbearing, like the team's success somehow validates their life.  The diehards, though, are as knowledgeable and committed a fan base as you'll find.  Anyone who has stuck with the team through the Pitino years, followed by last year's tank job, has my respect.

And unfortunately, the media seeks out the bandwagoners.  Even our own media is guilty of it.  CSN had a piece before game 1 and it interviewed a couple of morons talking about "The Big 3 is all you need" and how we were gonna get "#17, 18, 19, etc."  Those are the type of people that have no idea about the team or the game itself, but pretend they know it all.

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 02:38:17 PM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
The serious fans know there teams and the league just by osmosis..For me I try to watch all 82 Celtics games,tons of college BB, 150 Redsox games and all the Patriot games evry year..You read the Sportspages and the net..You know what is going on with every Professional team...I'm 35 and have been following along like this for 25 years

IMO the true fans know what is going on..it is only the bandwagon fans that have no clue..They also have'nt suffered through a lot of crappy teams on the Boston sports scene

It is a Badge of Honor to be the most hated.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 02:43:55 PM by Tommy Gun »
See, this is why I'm not allowed to announce NBA games -- I'd be talking in the Cookie Monster voice right now:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... my knee hurts ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ... me don't like when my knee hurts ...

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 02:46:25 PM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
We've suffered. We've suffered through 1-15, 2-14, 2-14, Dick McPherson/Soctt Zolak, UGH, Patriots the laughingstock of the NFL. 

We've suffered with through the some pretty putrid sox teams. Dennis Lamp, Phil Plantier, Jack Clark, Rob Deer, Kevin Morton, Luis Rivera, Putrid Sox Teams. UGH.

We've suffered through the death of Len Bias, then further by the passing of Reggie Lewis and then being jettisoned to the underworld of basketball.

I can't even go into the BRUINS!

So, I think we've all suffered and for that I will enjoy and bask in the glory that is the Celtics, Red Sox, and Patriots and all the winning and hatred with comes with being associated with a winning city and team.

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 02:55:15 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
OK, I am Celtics fan over anything else, but I am a very big Sox and Pats fan.  I can certainly undersrtand the hatred towards the Patriots because of what the media made them into - cheaters.  Call it what you want.  Maybe they broke the rules, but there's no real evidence out there that they did something I would personally consider "cheating."  But anyone who's truly competitive hates cheaters and that's what many people throughout the country belive we are.  So be it - we're good.  

The Red Sox is a different story all together.  Many of us and our friends/relatives suffered forever over the Red Sox.  Finally, they won it and the "pink hats" just take over.  Now we have Red Sox nation and all this other stuff.  How many of these people do you think watched every game 10-20 years ago?  The Sox have a Huge payroll and that is why they are really good.  I can certainly understand why someone from Kansas City would hate the Sox.  We almost always beat them because we have players they could never afford.  Baseball is truly not fair.  Too bad they have already gone too far to create a salary cap.  The Red Sox have been shoved down people's throats for 5 or 6 years now.  If you're not a fan, you're sick of them by now.

The Celtics are hated because they are good.  I can see no other reason for someone to hate the C's unless you're a fan of a rival team.  Danny got all the pieces in place and he should get credit for that.  Maybe they don't like us because we already have 16 championships?  I don't know.  

Hopefully all 3 teams can make people more jealous and hate us more this year.  Go Celts!
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 03:25:21 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
We payed our dues y living through the 90's didn't we?

think of it this way, when we were losing in heartbreaking series all the time to other teams, we were a major market city but part of pack.

now, were hated because peopel are jeolous.

think of it this way, imagine us and all the other long sufferign sports citys are a group of friends, all of us don't really have any success in life. We're also stomped on by the successful people. now, imagine the "boston friend" hits the lottery, and moves to a place up town. The old friends (read: the rest of the country) now wonder why thier friend succeded. At first thier happy for him/her (2001 pats, 2004 sox.)

Then, they start to wonder why they aren't successful. No matter what the successful fan tells them, they project thier failings onto the succesful friend.

eventually the old friends grow to hate thier successful friend and lump him in with the other successful people they've always hated. except, they hate thier former friend more because they feel he got lucky while they deserved his/her success.

thats what drives the "god I loath boston" mentality. jeolousy.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 05:52:13 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I tend to agree more with Hobbs. A lot of fans of our teams are just plain obnoxious.

With the Pats, while I'm a Pats fan and agree to a certain extent that Spygate wasn't that bad, the fan base's reaction to that situation is what truly forever ruined the country's perception of the Patriots. Until then, they were like the Spurs. Other fans didn't always love them because they didn't play the most exciting brand of football, but if you loved that sport, you had to respect that they were a hard-working, smart, humble, team-oriented, disciplined, well-coached and coachable team. And unlike the Spurs, the Pats didn't whine about everything. I think a good portion of the country was genuinely happy for the Pats that such an abused stepchild of professional sports became a dynasty.

It wasn't so much Spygate itself (although that admittedly tainted things) as it was Belichick's and then the fans' reactions to it that made us hated. Belichick pretty much wouldn't apologize, which grated on some people. And then our fans argued "you guys are jealous of our success so you made up a cheating scandal." Look, regardless of whether it's small time cheating or big time cheating, it was cheating. The Pats cheated. It was unnecessary cheating and it was the kind of cheating that's just over the line from what other teams did legally and there might be no actual difference, but it was clearly against the rules and we were caught redhanded doing it. People didn't call us cheaters because we won, they called us cheaters because we got caught cheating.

It's like if on a math test you're allowed to bring in notes with formulas but you're not allowed to bring in a calculator that has the formulas set up on it. There's not much difference in the two, but one is allowed but the other is not. If you get caught using the calculator, they didn't bust you because they're jealous of your math scores, they busted you because you broke the rules.

Then it got even worse when a lot of Pats fans and media people justified running up the score as "hey, we can do it if we want. You called us cheaters, you asked for it," as though the Patriots were the victims of Spygate, not the perpetrators.

(Incidentally, I had no personal problem with us continuing to play hard even in blowout wins. We lost in the AFC Championship the year before because we couldn't hold a big lead. The Colts lost in the playoffs this year in large part, in my opinion, because they took a game off when they could have been honing their game. The Patriots never risked that. Every player and every coach went balls out for 60 minutes of 16 regular season games, not wanting to ever let it get in our head that a game was over. Too bad it didn't carry over to the Super Bowl but that's another story.)

After our ridiculous, conceited and mocking reaction to the rest of the country when our team was caught cheating and then ran up the scores on teams it had clearly blown out - accusing everybody of jealousy and disrespect instead of admitting we were wrong and moving on - it was only natural for other teams to hate us.

The Red Sox this year got caught in a bit of this, too, because the arrogance coming from the Pats' fan base carried over into the Sox fan base. That, and, of course, the Pink Hat Brigade that took over. Suddenly, a lot of people saw Sox fans as arrogant front running bandwagon jumpers. Some of the criticism is deserved. There's a high degree of convergence between the Sox fan base and Pats fan base. And a lot of those people are arrogant.

To me, though, the irony, is that much of the Pink Hat Brigade was made up of people who weren't Sox fans before 2004 and weren't even necessarily from Boston. They were from all over the place, but always liked the Sox because there was such a loyal and long-suffering fan base and they wanted to get it on that. Cubs, Reds, Indians, Phillies, White Sox and other suffering team's fans related to us. When we won, everybody was ecstatic for us. And for a lot of people who always liked us a little, it suddenly felt okay to officially become a Sox fan. So people in other cities started to hate the Sox because people in their cities jumped on the Sox bandwagon after they won. So to me the irony was that Boston fans got the bad rap because frontrunners in other cities joined our bandwagon.

It came to a head last year when a) there was no denying we had a Yankee-level payroll and made Yankee-level revenue and made Yankee-level offers to free agents, b) our owners ran what had always been a team like a business, c) we were in first again, so the Brigade came out in full force and d) the ill feelings from Spygate tainted all Boston sports. That carryover hatred of the Patriots kicked into high gear in September-October of this year, right around the time we won the Series again. Some of those Pats fans who had been extremely cocky revelled in it and took unnecessary shots at other teams. Look, we have a team with a payroll four times that of other teams. We're supposed to win. We did, but we didn't do it gracefully. People were sick of Boston.

So, in the end, the Celtics simply had their resurgence and return to glory happen at a time when everybody was sick of all things Boston. Our season was getting ready to get kickstarted when the Patriots were undefeated and drawing hatred everywhere and the Red Sox had turned into a soulless monster to the point where people around the country were mad at themselves for being happy that we won it in 2004. The last thing everybody wanted was for Boston fans to keep their cockiness going all winter long.

Had the Celtics made the trades a year ago and been good last season, I don't think there would be too many people hating them, they'd be happy to see a once-glorious team return to prominence after two decades of embarassment. Instead, people hated the Sox and Pats so much they just lumped Celtics fans in with them, which wasn't hard, since people are constantly sporting Sox and Pats gear at Celtics games and there's a bigger reaction at the Faux-ston Garden to the Sox winning an April baseball game over the Blue Jays than there is to any number of great plays in a Celtics playoff win. The Celtics crowd is unfortunately filled with bandwagon jumpers who couldn't care less about the team for the last five years, and don't know how to be at a basketball game.

Nobody wants us to win not because they dislike the Celtics but because they're so [dang] sick and tired of hearing us talk about how great we are and how jealous everybody is of us. I think a lot of fans are graceful in victory, don't mock other teams and are just happy for our success. But I'd have to disagree with CelticsWhat - I don't think it's the vocal minority picked out by the media that is obnoxious, I think it's probably the majority of people who are actually supporting our team.

For me, personally, if I felt people did hate my teams just because they were good, I'd have no problem with that. I don't take it as a Badge of Honor, though, to be a fan of teams that are hated because a large amount of the other "fans" of my team are obnoxious punks. I'm as irritated as people in other cities are. It won't ever make me stop loving my team, but I don't want to have to defend them when they're winning, I just want to enjoy it.
Go Celtics.