Author Topic: With union reps like these...  (Read 6272 times)

Re: With union reps like these...
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 05:09:04 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Just a thought... Fisher probably feels like many in the NBA where their reputation is tarnished by all these other guys in the league. Leaving the PP issue whether it was a gang sign or not issue alone, the throat slashing is one of the worst things IMO that these guys could do. Especially in light of the war we are in and the not so recent beheadings of Americans. I wouldn't want to be lumped in with that behavior and have no problem with Fisher coming out and saying they crossed the line.

This isn't a defense attorney that is required to do anything possible to get his client off even if he is guilty. Stevenson is not even remotely close to innocent and I am actually glad that one of their own stepped up and said so. I would be much more offended had they whined about it not being a big deal.

Fisher has a lot on his plate with a daughter who has cancer. Let's have a little compassion for the guy. Even if he is a hated Laker...

I think linking Stevenson's throat slashing to the beheading's in the middle East is a bit of a stretch.  And Fisher's daughter has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with his opinions.  Or even liking the guy.

But I agree that the more clean-cut players probably don't like the "thug" actions of some... and if he wants to condemn Stevenson's actions, fine.  But has anyone proved Paul's hand signal was a gang sign?  No, he's not a defence attorney.  But I'm pretty sure he's an American.  Innocent until proven guilty.

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 05:33:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I have nothing wrong with what Fischer said.  I think there certainly is still questions about Pierce's involvement here, but in general, I don't think that the player rep should contest everything just for the sake of it. 

If Pierce did make a gang sign, then the fine is absolutely waranted, and I would expect the player rep to have no problem with it.  By players doing things to paint themselves as "gangsters", it looks badly on all of the players.  These are the types of things that end up hurting the marketability of the NBA players in general.  The more people start thinking of them as "Thugs" and "Gangsters" (and yes, I know it is complete BS, but there are a LOT of people who do think of many NBA players that way), the less chance these players have to make more money outside the game.

The Stevenson issue is even more clear.  There was no misunderstanding what he was doing.  And the end result is the same. 

As a player rep, Fisher's job is to look out for ALL of the players.  When one or two of them make the rest of the players look bad, then he should not be standing up for those players.

edit: and just to be clear, I don't believe Pierce was in fact making gang signs...and I hope that will all be cleared up.

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 05:40:42 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Just a thought... Fisher probably feels like many in the NBA where their reputation is tarnished by all these other guys in the league. Leaving the PP issue whether it was a gang sign or not issue alone, the throat slashing is one of the worst things IMO that these guys could do. Especially in light of the war we are in and the not so recent beheadings of Americans. I wouldn't want to be lumped in with that behavior and have no problem with Fisher coming out and saying they crossed the line.

This isn't a defense attorney that is required to do anything possible to get his client off even if he is guilty. Stevenson is not even remotely close to innocent and I am actually glad that one of their own stepped up and said so. I would be much more offended had they whined about it not being a big deal.

Fisher has a lot on his plate with a daughter who has cancer. Let's have a little compassion for the guy. Even if he is a hated Laker...

I think linking Stevenson's throat slashing to the beheading's in the middle East is a bit of a stretch.  And Fisher's daughter has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with his opinions.  Or even liking the guy.

But I agree that the more clean-cut players probably don't like the "thug" actions of some... and if he wants to condemn Stevenson's actions, fine.  But has anyone proved Paul's hand signal was a gang sign?  No, he's not a defence attorney.  But I'm pretty sure he's an American.  Innocent until proven guilty.

Not a stretch at all. How would you like to be one of their family members and turn on an NBA game and see that? Where's your compassion?! People are ripping Fisher personally and all I did was remind them that he has a daughter with cancer that I'm sure takes up every spare minute of his time. If he doesn't say something like you'd like it then fine, but I'd cut the guy some slack. If you want to kick a guy when he's down then that's on you.

You didn't see me focusing on PP's gang sign now did you? When you are in the NBA and subject yourself to their code of contact then that is your judge and jury. The NBA and the Union both felt comfortable in calling them both guilty. That's a fact.

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 05:44:38 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Its just extra motivation for Pierce and the boys if the Lakers make it to the finals to play us (when we obviously make it - full throttle tonight)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 06:56:27 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Pierce isn't appealing the fine is he?

Players appeal everything these days - unless there's an open and shut case.

as far as i know, yes he is appealing the fine. but since stern said on national TV he doesn't have a shot in hell, i don't know if paul will bother.

I mean when the judge says to your sideline guy "well, whatever, there's no way im changing it." your right to appeal kinda losses its value.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion