Author Topic: Anybody annoyed by Dan Shaughnessy's column today?  (Read 11855 times)

Re: Anybody annoyed by Dan Shaughnessy's column today?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2008, 11:46:28 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
meh, everybody thinks they're a sportwriter today - all these blogs and forums out there.  Plus, we're inundated with many writers everyday of our lives.  there is no longer a uniqueness to writers anymore because of the glut of them out there.  Before the internet we had minimal sources from which to choose our reading entertainment...now those people are a dime-a-dozen, and they're a worn out relic from the eight-track days.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2008, 12:40:38 AM »

Offline lemonadesky

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
Dan Shaughnessy and Peter May are both very good sportswriters who are hardly bitter towards the Celtics. In the case of May, objective would be a better description. Shaugnessy writes an opinion column; it's not supposed to be analytical or filled with behind the scenes "news." That's the reason the Globe employs Spears and May.

To say there is no uniqueness in writers because of all the blogs is just plain wrong in my opinion. 99% of the writing quality on the blogs pales in comparison to a fine daily like The Globe. The blogs are worth checking out for some light entertainment, but I look to The Globe first and then the Herald for reporting and analysis.

And, by the way, Steve Weinman is the one guy people should take the time to read around here. His perspective on pro hoops is well above the rest and his writing is very good.
What Would Cousy Say

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2008, 06:30:02 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
I'm quiet irritated there is going to be a Game 6 against the Hawks myself. And until they win Game 6, Game 7 isn't out of the question.

We were fed all season long about the team's focus and passion and how they won't look past anybody. Then, BOOM! first round look where we are!

On the other hand being concerned about a 3-2 series lead as an overall #1 seed is a good problem to have I guess considering last year we were losing on purpose to get the #1 overall pick.

I just hope they don't go believing they are Destiny's Darling cause that will bite them for sure.

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2008, 07:50:45 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
meh, everybody thinks they're a sportwriter today - all these blogs and forums out there.  Plus, we're inundated with many writers everyday of our lives.  there is no longer a uniqueness to writers anymore because of the glut of them out there.  Before the internet we had minimal sources from which to choose our reading entertainment...now those people are a dime-a-dozen, and they're a worn out relic from the eight-track days.

Meh, indeed.

People don't want to be informed anymore. They want to be affirmed, and that's where all this media animosity comes from.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2008, 08:21:46 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Dan Shaughnessy and Peter May are both very good sportswriters who are hardly bitter towards the Celtics. In the case of May, objective would be a better description. Shaugnessy writes an opinion column; it's not supposed to be analytical or filled with behind the scenes "news." That's the reason the Globe employs Spears and May.

I have a hard time calling May a "very good sportswriter" when he's routinely mailed in columns for the past five years, and is often prone to factual inaccuracy.  This year he's been better, perhaps because the team is better and he's more energized, or perhaps because he had gotten wind that his job was in jeopardy.  Too little, too late, Peter.

As for Shaughnessy, he's been needlessly bitter towards the Red Sox, and he's participated in and continued a feud with Curt Schilling.  The goal of a sportswriter is to report / comment on the news, not make himself a part of it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions