Author Topic: Anybody annoyed by Dan Shaughnessy's column today?  (Read 11860 times)

Re: Anybody annoyed by Dan Shaughnessy's column today?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 03:02:27 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
I think we should be more upset with the Celtics than Shaughnessy.

No way the Celts should have lost both - especially game 4.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 03:08:47 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I am upset with the celtics, that doesn't change the fact that Ds is a hack who hasen't written a column that isn't a complete "don't be happy, your team is still terrable" piece of tripe in 15 years.

i mean, you can do it about anything, watch;

(note, PURLEY SATIRE FOLLOWS and its going to be short since im at work. think of it as a DS outline)

"The red sox have now won 8 games in the final at bat at home. seems like a team who knows how to close doesn't it? but why are they in such precarious situations? I'll tell you why, they can't hit. Everyone, from ellsbury to lugo, is terrable. So they got lucky in 8 games, you should be mortified, mark my words, this team is destined to fall in the first round of the playoffs, for gods sakes they got swept by the drays! how you cattle can be happy is beyond me. you should all be miserable like me. morons."

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 04:16:57 PM »

Offline swe1989

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I did not read the article, but I think Dan Shaughnessy is really annoying because

A)  You waste your time reading his article.
B)  You learn nothing from reading what he has to write.
C)  He thinks he's the man...so of course...everybody has to listen whenever he has anything to say...which is usually close to nothing.
D)  Lastly, you probably feel dumber from reading his articles.

Anyone agree with these points?

Oh and he looks goofy, he looks like one of those people where if he was not writing pointless articles he'd probably be a clown or something.

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 04:19:13 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
I did not read the article, but I think Dan Shaughnessy is really annoying because

not sure what's worse...his article or your sentence.  i love how people jump into a discussion and never read what's been discussed prior to their post... ::)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 04:26:50 PM »

Offline swe1989

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
No need, it'd be a waste of time to read it to begin with.  I just know that he talks about how embarrassing it must be from losing to the hawks from looking at the first post of this discussion.  That's all I needed to know, to post.  So I guess I should of said "I did not read the whole article, but know what it was about."  Sorry if I did not Andy Jick.

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
It really makes you wonder why CHB always looks for the negative. Very strange. And pointless.

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 05:47:51 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
It really makes you wonder why CHB always looks for the negative. Very strange. And pointless.

no, i don't wonder. It made him a ton of money. He invented the "curse of the bambino" with his book. extreme negativity as a viewpoint has worked as his writing angle for a long time, why would he change it?

some people enjoy reading that angle, I don't.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 07:34:58 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
The topic of negativity in sports writing and sports media is addressed in the latest Costas Now on HBO.

The 90 minute show is one of the best I have seen in a very very long time.  If you can make an effort to watch it -- if just to see the segment on sports blogging.

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 07:44:04 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
hmmm?

Yup

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 08:17:20 PM »

Offline EnP24

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 9
"Herald sports > Globe sports"

Could not agree more.

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 08:35:42 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
hmmm?

Split your sides funny!!!  TP

Did you come up with this?? 

Amazing!!

No wonder you were the funniest kid in the SJH Class of 83.

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 08:43:33 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
...bet he misses Pedro (Martinez, that is). ;)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 08:52:10 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
...bet he misses Pedro (Martinez, that is). ;)

I know I do, AJ!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 10:06:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
I have read Shaughnessy for years. he is a pretty talented writer and has, many times, very good insights and opinions. i used to think he was among the very best of the boston sports writers, which is saying a lot since boston has had some pretty writers in their newspapers. as of late, i think his writing has suffered.

the problem for me with Shaughnessy is that too often he believes that he is not just a writer, but a participant in the sporting scene in boston. perhaps he right given the near psychotic addiction boston fans have to their teams.

but i think he is bit frustrated by having to only "report" news on teams. with the sox he has an all too strong desire to put himself above the team, and actually wants become a central actor in the story itself. (the infamous anti-theo stories of a few years back are a prime example) a number of times he used his position and the globe to produce stories about boston's teams that really are means for him to focus attention on himself.

this is when Shaughnessy is at his worst.

at his best, he is an outstanding writer well worth reading.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 10:35:09 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
Peter May's condescending piece about how "the masses" don't understand why Glenn should be above criticism after game four was above and beyond. Beautiful that he's checking out after this round when the team has the best chance in two decades of winning a ring. That says volumes about his interest or lack thereof about this team and franchise in the past years.

(I guess I must have missed Paranthetical Peter's multimedia piece about the intricacies of the Celtics' dribble-drive motion offense or Thibideau's defensive scheme. The guy's just a lazy reporter who thinks he knows more than the people who pay his paycheck (for the next two weeks, at least.))

(((Sarcastic comment in parentheses by Peter May here)))

Shaughnessy's was lame, as well. How come we can't get sportswriter's like that? Oh never mind.