Author Topic: Anybody annoyed by Dan Shaughnessy's column today?  (Read 11865 times)

Anybody annoyed by Dan Shaughnessy's column today?
« on: May 01, 2008, 01:47:40 PM »

Offline Riles335

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/05/01/how_did_we_get_here/

I was a bit annoyed with what Shaughnessy had to say in the globe today. The playoffs are the playoffs. Things don't always go as expected. In my opinion he goes out of his way to call the Celtics pathetic for losing to these guys. Does he realize this team had a 25-16 record at home this year? I wasn't expecting the Celtics to lose two straight to the Hawks but it happened and I think he took it a little overboard.

Maybe its just me but I'm a bit annoyed with what he had to say.

Re: Anybody annoyed by Dan Shaughnessy's column today?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:50:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/05/01/how_did_we_get_here/
Maybe its just me but I'm a bit annoyed with what he had to say.

I've felt like that for years in regard to the CHB.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 01:55:40 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Sports writers are no different than the rest of us on this board. Some are thoughtful and look at situations dispassionately, while others are opinionated and write from gut reactions.

It is hard to take most sports writers and commentators seriously. Like on TNT - Kenny Smith is worth listening to, while Barkley doesn't worry about facts as he spouts whatever pops into his head.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 01:56:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
yea, thats why i don't read him anymore.

He is, in my opinion, a slightly above average writer with a perdicatble gimick. All he does is find a negitive side to a feel good story and harp on it. If they had lost yesterday, he probley wouldn't have even wirtten a column. He's still bitter the sox won, since it landed his awful book in the bargin bin.

I don't even bother with his columns, they all follow this pattern.

so x happened, and you have hope? well here's why you shouldn't, and local team x is a bunch of chockers/losers.

its the DS way.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 02:00:18 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

He is, in my opinion, a slightly above average writer with a perdicatble gimick. All he does is find a negitive side to a feel good story and harp on it. If they had lost yesterday, he probley wouldn't have even wirtten a column. He's still bitter the sox won, since it landed his awful book in the bargin bin.

so x happened, and you have hope? well here's why you shouldn't, and local team x is a bunch of chockers/losers.

its the DS way.

The Callahan article in yesterday's Herald was another, IMO, over the top article.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
That had to be one of the worst columns I have ever read, even for Shaughnessy. It was negative for the sake of being negative. Did he say anything of substance in that article that we didn't know already? It shouldn't have come to this. Fine, but it did, so now what? There was no analysis or even good writing in that piece. Why couldn't he get bought out?

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 02:07:05 PM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
typically, Callahan's article wasn't on the same level as Shaughnessy's.

Herald sports > Globe sports

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 02:12:04 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The only problem I could see you having is if you were concerned with him having a "fan's" perspective when it suits him on one hand and an "experts" analysis on the other.  He clearly wrote this column as a "fan".  As a fan,  can any of us dispute that we expected the Celtics to sweep (or maybe lose 1 highly contested game) to the Hawks?

I too was acutely aware that for first time all season I had some doubt in my gut about this team.  I was still confident that they could get the job done because I've watched them all year and know what they're capable of, but there was some doubt there.

The only thing I disagree with him about is denying the Celtics fans the right to get excited about last night's win.  Yes, the Celtics SHOULD have won in Atlanta, but the fact that they SHOULD have won those games did not change the fact that this was a huge Game 5 with a series tied 2-2.  If you're not getting excited about winning a must-win game then you should choose another pastime.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 02:42:26 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 02:25:58 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
I didn't read what all the fuss was about... ???

For the most part he's correct.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 02:31:53 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
the just is that its a hack article with no point.

"your team underpreformed! behold my knowledge!"

and thats his ENTIRE body of work for the last 15 years. call me crazy, but when i read a sports column, im lookign for something i couldn't have figured out 5 beers down between me and my firends.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 02:32:35 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
That had to be one of the worst columns I have ever read, even for Shaughnessy. It was negative for the sake of being negative. Did he say anything of substance in that article that we didn't know already? It shouldn't have come to this. Fine, but it did, so now what? There was no analysis or even good writing in that piece. Why couldn't he get bought out?

Somebody needs to take over the "needlessly bitter towards the Celtics" shtick from Peter May.  Shaughnessy already has that wrapped up with the Sox, so I guess he decided to branch out.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 02:33:22 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I agree with him.  I don't care how fired up the Hawks were, they should have never beaten the Celtics twice. 

The win last night was expected.  It felt good. 

The big game is game 6.  Celtics must show that they can win on the road in the playoffs. 

They need to play like they did in games 1,2 and 5.  There is no reason they shouldn't in game 6.  (just like they was no reason not to play that way in game 3 and 4)

Hawks played just as tough last night as they did game 3 and 4.  The difference, the Celtics decided to show up. 

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 02:43:23 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Somebody needs to take over the "needlessly bitter towards the Celtics" shtick from Peter May.  Shaughnessy already has that wrapped up with the Sox, so I guess he decided to branch out.

An economist might say that Shaughnessy is just taking advantage of economies of scope.....
 ;D ;D
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 02:52:46 PM »

Offline Riles335

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6

its the DS way.

100% agree. I've come to do the same. He has always taken the glass half empty approach rather than the glass half full approach. I also took exception with him saying that fans were pathetic in getting excited about last nights win. Thats just ridiculous.
I've never been a big fan to begin with but over the past year or so, I hardly even take notice to his columns. To me Shaughnessy makes Bob Ryan out to be a god.

Also to whoever said that the Herald Sports are better than the Globes. Tommy point to you.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
I forget where i first found the website. It might have been on CelticsBlog but it is devoted to slamming CHB
http://danshaughnessy.blogspot.com/