Author Topic: TNT segment last night...  (Read 11931 times)

TNT segment last night...
« on: May 01, 2008, 01:18:34 PM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red
Did anyone catch the TNT segment last night where TNT went down Yawkey Way to ask Boston fans if they are worried about the Celtics? A couple of the interviewees said they didn't even are about the Celts and that they only care about the Sox right now. It made it look like people around Boston only cares about the Red Sox and not the Celtics in the playoffs.

Does anyone feel like this could be remotely indicative of some of the fans around here? I don't think  that segment showed what true Boston sports fans are like. I know there are many sox fans out there who don't give the Celtics attention, but the C's are certainly not being ignored around here.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

Re: TNT segment last night...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:20:58 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
yea, there called pink hats, and they only root for the sox.

there's a whole bunch of em.

Note that they don't actually care about baseball, it "hip" to be a sox fan at the moment.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 01:23:31 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I think that sadly, it is a good representation of boston sports fans. The red sox are by far the main boston sports team, even when they were losers they were still the main team, and many red sox fans don't care about the celtics or bruins, they do however care about the patriots. I tend to be the opposite, I don't care about the red sox or patriots, but the celtics take up most of my spare time.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 01:25:31 PM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
think about it the idea of the segment...its stupid.  why not interview people outside of the garden, im sure youd get more of a celtics response.  its dumb to interview people about the celtics outside of fenway.  i mean if your interviewing people about the redsox right before they go into the celtics, im sure your going to have a lot of people who say they dont give a crap about whats going on with the sox.  just because your a fan of one team, doesnt necessarily mean you have to root for both or root for both with the same amount of fervor...

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 01:32:48 PM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red
think about it the idea of the segment...its stupid.  why not interview people outside of the garden, im sure youd get more of a celtics response.  its dumb to interview people about the celtics outside of fenway.  i mean if your interviewing people about the redsox right before they go into the celtics, im sure your going to have a lot of people who say they dont give a crap about whats going on with the sox.  just because your a fan of one team, doesnt necessarily mean you have to root for both or root for both with the same amount of fervor...

True...and I'm sure they edited it to look like that anyway
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 01:37:37 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
True...and I'm sure they edited it to look like that anyway

Wait...they edit stuff?  Does this mean Kenny Smith wasn't really hit by a car doing that Kobe commercial?
Yup

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 01:41:13 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Honestly they probably are indicative of Boston sports fans. They are not indicative of Celtics fans, though, or for that matter, Red Sox fans or Patriots fans or Bruins fans.

I mentioned this in another post, but I'll say it again. Two big problems with that segment:
1. The middle aged guy who clearly knew nothing about the Celtics' situation talking about how "there's always next year." Obviously, he didn't have a clue, it frustrated me to no end that he was allowed to represent "Celtics fans" on national television.

2. TNT is either lazy or manipulative to have done a Celtics fan reaction piece at Yawkey Way instead of Lansdowne Street. If there's a Red Sox home game in April and a Celtics home playoff game AT THE SAME TIME, where do you think you're gonna find the Celtics fans?
Go Celtics.

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 01:47:56 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
People who are baseball fans aren't necessarily basketball fans. Then again, some Red Sox fans aren't even baseball fan. Rooting for the Red Sox is more a social phenomenon in Boston these days than a sports phenomenon.

There are also people like me with Celtics season tickets but who don't care one bit about the Red Sox.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 01:50:32 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
2. TNT is either lazy or manipulative to have done a Celtics fan reaction piece at Yawkey Way instead of Lansdowne Street. If there's a Red Sox home game in April and a Celtics home playoff game AT THE SAME TIME, where do you think you're gonna find the Celtics fans?

Right on.  But of course, something I've always noticed in Boston is that (particularly last year) it was almost cool to not care about the Cs.  Listen to some WEEI talk radio.  They take pride in not knowing basketball.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 01:51:51 PM »

Offline maxw318

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7

Exactly, I mean no true celtics fans would go to an april red sox during a celtics pivotal game 5 of the playoffs, in the first year in 20 years where they've finally meant something to the city, even my dad gave up tix to sox game in a heart beat.  And sadly it looks like the celts will always be behind the sox, whom i still love, in the heart of fans around the city.

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 01:58:59 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Exactly, I mean no true celtics fans would go to an april red sox during a celtics pivotal game 5 of the playoffs, in the first year in 20 years where they've finally meant something to the city, even my dad gave up tix to sox game in a heart beat.  And sadly it looks like the celts will always be behind the sox, whom i still love, in the heart of fans around the city.
There are a lot of people who live in this region. Not all of them have to love every team. The Celtics have a lot of fans. I don't see what there is to complain about.

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 01:59:40 PM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
think about it the idea of the segment...its stupid.  why not interview people outside of the garden, im sure youd get more of a celtics response.  its dumb to interview people about the celtics outside of fenway.  i mean if your interviewing people about the redsox right before they go into the celtics, im sure your going to have a lot of people who say they dont give a crap about whats going on with the sox.  just because your a fan of one team, doesnt necessarily mean you have to root for both or root for both with the same amount of fervor...

Your quote reminds me of what Mike Bibby said about Boston Celtics fan being "Bandwagon Jumpers". The reason why I would agree to some degree with what Mike said is look at the Patriots.  I remember when the Pats was bad and they didn't show their games on local tv.  Most of the people I knew was NY Giant fans, or Cowboys fan.  Now everyone loves the Patriots.  The Pats have the 2nd best fan base in the City.  You couldn't say that 10-15 years ago.

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 02:00:34 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
They may have interviewed a couple hundred people before they got those responses (which they wanted for the effect).  Dickerson did the same thing for Celtics Tonight and didn't even get one person who actually knew that the Hawks were even in the playoffs.  Not a representative sample... just cherry picking the responses they want. 

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 02:04:48 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Exactly, I mean no true celtics fans would go to an april red sox during a celtics pivotal game 5 of the playoffs

I would.  If the choice was between going to a Red Sox game vs. watching a non-elimination playoff game on TV, I'd go to the Red Sox game 10 times out of 10.  If I could go be in attendance to either, I'd go with the playoff game dependent on who's pitching and who the teams were playing.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 02:08:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Did anyone catch the TNT segment last night where TNT went down Yawkey Way to ask Boston fans if they are worried about the Celtics? A couple of the interviewees said they didn't even are about the Celts and that they only care about the Sox right now. It made it look like people around Boston only cares about the Red Sox and not the Celtics in the playoffs.

Does anyone feel like this could be remotely indicative of some of the fans around here? I don't think  that segment showed what true Boston sports fans are like. I know there are many sox fans out there who don't give the Celtics attention, but the C's are certainly not being ignored around here.

The best place to find Celtics fans probably isn't outside Fenway.  Still, only I think two people said they aren't Celts fans.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions