Author Topic: Cassell already complaining about minutes  (Read 21902 times)

Re: Cassell already complaining about minutes
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2008, 11:08:12 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
Yeh, just watched it twice and still don't really see selfish part of it.  He's saying that it's tough to get in a rhythm when he's playing limited minutes and he'd like to play more but Rondo's fine play is preventing that (and he was laughing about it).  I also heard a whole bunch of "we's" and "us's" later in the press conference in regards to the importance of gaining home court advantage during the regular season.

Question leading up to it:

"Sam it seemed like you really hit a groove tonight, maybe compared to the previous two games.  Do you feel like you're getting back more into it?"

watch the TNT halftime on nba.com as well. take that together with his presscon comments and Sam's motivation may come forth a bit clearer.

anyway won't belabor the point any more that it has been.  maybe he's just saying things (like Sam has) and he won't pose too much of a distraction if doc deems it necessary to start playing rondo 38-40 minutes in a series.  i trust KG will keep him in line.

i'm still with Redz. i just don't see it....

My mother-in-law pronounces tomatoes "toe-MAH-toes".  Makes me crazy.  I just don't understand how she can call a perfectly good toe-MAY-toe a toe-MAH-toe. But in the big scheme of things it ain't no big thang.

So You say toe-MAY-toe and she says toe-Mah-toe? I thin I have a idea for a song. ;D

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2008, 11:13:50 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yeh, just watched it twice and still don't really see selfish part of it.  He's saying that it's tough to get in a rhythm when he's playing limited minutes and he'd like to play more but Rondo's fine play is preventing that (and he was laughing about it).  I also heard a whole bunch of "we's" and "us's" later in the press conference in regards to the importance of gaining home court advantage during the regular season.

"Sam it seemed like you really hit a groove tonight, maybe compared to the previous two games.  Do you feel like you're getting back more into it?"

watch the TNT halftime on nba.com as well. take that together with his presscon comments and Sam's motivation may come forth a bit clearer.

anyway won't belabor the point any more that it has been.  maybe he's just saying things (like Sam has) and he won't pose too much of a distraction if doc deems it necessary to start playing rondo 38-40 minutes in a series.  i trust KG will keep him in line.

My mother-in-law pronounces tomatoes "toe-MAH-toes".  Makes me crazy. I just don't understand how she can call a perfectly good toe-MAY-toe a toe-MAH-toe. But in the big scheme of things it ain't no big thang.

So You say toe-MAY-toe and she says toe-Mah-toe? I thin I have a idea for a song. ;D
Yes, fortunately my marriage is strong enough to withstand the occasional mispronounced tomato and we have not had to "Call the whole thing off" ;)

My point of this whole tomato example being some of us disagree about Sam
but let's not call the whole thing off.  We can get aggravated with Sam when he sucks, and rejoice when he plays well.   
Yup

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2008, 02:11:21 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572

My mother-in-law pronounces tomatoes "toe-MAH-toes".  Makes me crazy. I just don't understand how she can call a perfectly good toe-MAY-toe a toe-MAH-toe. But in the big scheme of things it ain't no big thang.

Yes, fortunately my marriage is strong enough to withstand the occasional mispronounced tomato and we have not had to "Call the whole thing off" ;)

but let's not call the whole thing off.  We can get aggravated with Sam when he sucks, and rejoice when he plays well.   

Yep, pretty much the same as any other player.

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2008, 02:26:28 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Yep, pretty much the same as any other player.
Although I'd swear some are so bitter about some players (or, ahem, coaches) they may not even want them to succeed.
Yup

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2008, 05:46:34 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Call me crazy but I don't understand why Rondo can't play 40+ minutes, even 48 if need be. I know, that's like pitching a complete game in baseball, but he's 22 years old, he's by far their best pg, and aren't there more or at least longer timeouts in the playoffs?
As far as Cassell- who cares what he says or thinks? I'd rather see House, but it's more or less a toss-up.
One thing that disturbed me last game, or maybe the previous game, I'm not sure, was a play where there was a loose ball near the foul line or top of the key. Sam just looked at the ball, never made any attempt to go after it- any other Celtic this year would have dived for it. Anyone recall that play?, or did I mis-see it?
Anyway, if everything goes right, Sam will get no more than 10 minutes/game and the C's will win it all.

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2008, 07:31:44 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Call me crazy but I don't understand why Rondo can't play 40+ minutes, even 48 if need be. I know, that's like pitching a complete game in baseball, but he's 22 years old, he's by far their best pg, and aren't there more or at least longer timeouts in the playoffs?
As far as Cassell- who cares what he says or thinks? I'd rather see House, but it's more or less a toss-up.
One thing that disturbed me last game, or maybe the previous game, I'm not sure, was a play where there was a loose ball near the foul line or top of the key. Sam just looked at the ball, never made any attempt to go after it- any other Celtic this year would have dived for it. Anyone recall that play?, or did I mis-see it?
Anyway, if everything goes right, Sam will get no more than 10 minutes/game and the C's will win it all.

I agree with this 100%. How is it that I can play two hours of pickup ball at 36 yrs of age with a bunch of 20 year olds and run 10 games straight the other night and this kid not be able to play 40+ minutes in the kind of condition he is in?! Yes I know they have fewer breaks in the action and have to be going full speed much of the time, but we had 30 second breaks in between games the other night and I seemed to do just fine. I also didn't have a 20+ minute half time rest or all the TV timeouts. He should sit one minute before the end of a quarter if play allows, and come in about 2 minutes after the quarter has started. (Q 2 and 4) If they need to use a couple more timeouts in the first half, which they typically don't use all of them, then great. It will give him a rest. He would be playing about 42 min each night and this whole Sam mess would be a moot point.

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2008, 08:34:12 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Well that's simply the difference in some people typing in an opinon as to how to coach and what they know about B.Ball played on the level of the NBA player and actually playing on that level or coaching in this playoff run. IMO

And frankly, I'm getting tired of the nit picking, second guessing and complaining with regard to Sam Cassell and his contrubution to this team in general. As though he hasn't proved himself and his worth as THE backup Point Guard, who always would rest a second year starting point guard 7-10 minutes in the plsayoffs. Also, he is still finding himself and working into the team and its sets. All of which, if I might remind anyone will be crucial if any injury happens to the SGs or the starting point guard, Rondo. Also, if need be I believe both
Rondo and Sam on the floor has proven to work out well, which we may see again here at some point, if needed!

Bench him and play Rondo 45-48 mins and or House instead IS JUST CRAZY TALK at this point!!! LOL

If he is in and develops THE hot hand, it's crazy talk to simply give him the hook because Rondo can do it all or House is as good, which I simply don't believe is true!

Have fun!

Also

"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2008, 08:59:38 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Then stop posting about it. It's pretty easy...

So far in this game Sam has continued his "launch at will mode". He better develop the hot hand soon or he better get the big hook...

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2008, 09:12:11 PM »

Offline casCELTIC

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
  • Cassell, I am - Huevos, I use.
Then stop posting about it. It's pretty easy...

So far in this game Sam has continued his "launch at will mode". He better develop the hot hand soon or he better get the big hook...

would you stop hating?  rondo got 2 early fouls and house is worthless.  you know shooters need shots to get hot - especially BIG GAME shooters.  house should only get minutes if either rondo or cassell are also on the floor.

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2008, 09:23:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Close games in the 4th quarter are one by players who have the most energy and make the best decisions. Tired players make more mental errors, miss more jumpers because they no longer have their legs under them, and don't get the loose balls. I'm glad you are not the coach. Do you see the intensity of these games? I don't care if he's 22, guys can't play up to their potential in pressure situations when they are fatigued, and 40-48 minutes would be enough to fatigue rondo.