Author Topic: Cassell already complaining about minutes  (Read 21931 times)

Re: Cassell already complaining about minutes
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2008, 08:34:07 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Hey, I'm just going on what he said, and the emotion behind it, and it had nothing to do with the team or anyone else but Sam. He was definitely irritated that Rondo is playing so well, because it means HE isn't getting as many minutes ... he said so. Sorry, but that's a bit removed from the whole "We Not Me" thing ... to say the least. I would think that kind of statement would bother anyone on the Celtic side of things who heard it. Wrong priorities if you ask me. Not saying it's his ONLY motivation, cuz I honestly don't know. But from what he said, it was clear he wasn't thinking much about the team.

See, I didn't get that.  I got that that was the reason why he wasn't playing and he understands that's the case because Rondo's playing well.

So

1) He's saying he'd be playing better if he had more minutes (which is likely true)
2) He's saying that the reason he's not playing more is because Rondo is playing well (which is true)

I didn't hear any resentment about it, just an understanding.  He's not asking for more minutes anywhere. 

Sorry, but it didn't come across remotely as innocuos to me ... or any of the people I was watching with. Guess a lot has to do with your opinion of Sam before hearing such things, and mine's not as positive as yours, clearly.

There was not even a hint of team consideration in it to me, but was all about Sam ... and it's just how he plays on the floor as well. I guess that's the ultimate example he sets for me. But hey, we can't agree on everything, Redz, and while you know I love ya, the ol' Sammy issue is where our "roads diverge in the woods".

As long as Sam keeps hitting his shots, he's OK in my book, but I'll never believe that he's the consummate "team player" that many tout him as. TP, Redz ... I'll keep giving him the benefit of the doubt ... and agree to disagree on this issue. (Besides ... I'm obviously WAY outnumbered on this one!) Good points.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2008, 08:45:08 PM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
Does anyone have the accompanying questions that were being asked to Cassell?  I kind of doubt he just sat down and started a diatribe about his minutes unless the topic was raised in the form of a question directed at him first. 

Some context would go a long way here.

Lighten up on Sam.  I'm not hearing him begging for minutes here. 

I see him on the bench getting pretty pumped for his teammates. If the team's not bothered by Sam, why are we?

It's up on the celtics site.  The TNT halftime show (hawks-celtics) is on nba.com.        

To be clear, I didn't bring this up to detract from Sam's ability or contributions, or push in any way for  Eddie into this series' rotation.  As I said, I like Sam.  It bothers me that he's getting into this minutes thing when he's actually gotten them.  What's triggered all this?  Just one game where he got 7 minutes.  I don't know what Doc has said to him but I get the impression he expects to be playing 16 to 18 minutes (or even more) a game regardless of his play or rondo's.

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2008, 09:01:41 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Hey, I'm just going on what he said, and the emotion behind it, and it had nothing to do with the team or anyone else but Sam. He was definitely irritated that Rondo is playing so well, because it means HE isn't getting as many minutes ... he said so. Sorry, but that's a bit removed from the whole "We Not Me" thing ... to say the least. I would think that kind of statement would bother anyone on the Celtic side of things who heard it. Wrong priorities if you ask me. Not saying it's his ONLY motivation, cuz I honestly don't know. But from what he said, it was clear he wasn't thinking much about the team.

See, I didn't get that.  I got that that was the reason why he wasn't playing and he understands that's the case because Rondo's playing well.

So

1) He's saying he'd be playing better if he had more minutes (which is likely true)
2) He's saying that the reason he's not playing more is because Rondo is playing well (which is true)

I didn't hear any resentment about it, just an understanding.  He's not asking for more minutes anywhere. 

Sorry, but it didn't come across remotely as innocuos to me ... or any of the people I was watching with. Guess a lot has to do with your opinion of Sam before hearing such things, and mine's not as positive as yours, clearly.

There was not even a hint of team consideration in it to me, but was all about Sam ... and it's just how he plays on the floor as well. I guess that's the ultimate example he sets for me. But hey, we can't agree on everything, Redz, and while you know I love ya, the ol' Sammy issue is where our "roads diverge in the woods".

As long as Sam keeps hitting his shots, he's OK in my book, but I'll never believe that he's the consummate "team player" that many tout him as. TP, Redz ... I'll keep giving him the benefit of the doubt ... and agree to disagree on this issue. (Besides ... I'm obviously WAY outnumbered on this one!) Good points.
Right back at ya!

And yes I have had a career long thing for Sam, so I'll always see the glass half full (especially now that he's wearing green)
Yup

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2008, 09:17:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Yeh, just watched it twice and still don't really see selfish part of it.  He's saying that it's tough to get in a rhythm when he's playing limited minutes and he'd like to play more but Rondo's fine play is preventing that (and he was laughing about it).  I also heard a whole bunch of "we's" and "us's" later in the press conference in regards to the importance of gaining home court advantage during the regular season.

Question leading up to it:

"Sam it seemed like you really hit a groove tonight, maybe compared to the previous two games.  Do you feel like you're getting back more into it?"
Yup

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2008, 09:24:37 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I concede to the majority, and the powers that be, (but retain my opinion ... sorry, but I keep watching it, and keep seeing the same "Sammy first" tone). Stale-mate.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2008, 09:29:35 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I concede to the majority, and the powers that be, (but retain my opinion ... sorry, but I keep watching it, and keep seeing the same "Sammy first" tone). Stale-mate.

I will add that watching it twice was painful.  I didn't enjoy it. 

Am I eligible for martyr status?
Yup

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2008, 09:38:41 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I will add that watching it twice was painful.  I didn't enjoy it. 

Am I eligible for martyr status?

Absolutely, Bud! LOL! As long as I qualify for "Witness Protection", I'll come down on Sammy's side, (for now).

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2008, 09:41:44 PM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
Yeh, just watched it twice and still don't really see selfish part of it.  He's saying that it's tough to get in a rhythm when he's playing limited minutes and he'd like to play more but Rondo's fine play is preventing that (and he was laughing about it).  I also heard a whole bunch of "we's" and "us's" later in the press conference in regards to the importance of gaining home court advantage during the regular season.

"Sam it seemed like you really hit a groove tonight, maybe compared to the previous two games.  Do you feel like you're getting back more into it?"

watch the TNT halftime on nba.com as well. take that together with his presscon comments and Sam's motivation may come forth a bit clearer.

anyway won't belabor the point any more that it has been.  maybe he's just saying things (like Sam has) and he won't pose too much of a distraction if doc deems it necessary to start playing rondo 38-40 minutes in a series.  i trust KG will keep him in line.

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2008, 10:43:12 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

watch the TNT halftime on nba.com as well. take that together with his presscon comments and Sam's motivation may come forth a bit clearer.

anyway won't belabor the point any more that it has been.  maybe he's just saying things (like Sam has) and he won't pose too much of a distraction if doc deems it necessary to start playing rondo 38-40 minutes in a series.  i trust KG will keep him in line.

i'm still with Redz. i just don't see it....

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2008, 10:49:28 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

My mother-in-law pronounces tomatoes "toe-MAH-toes".  Makes me crazy.  I just don't understand how she can call a perfectly good toe-MAY-toe a toe-MAH-toe. But in the big scheme of things it ain't no big thang.

Yup

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2008, 10:52:17 PM »

Offline casCELTIC

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
  • Cassell, I am - Huevos, I use.
i'd like to see how many of you are complaining when chauncey rip stuckey prince and lindsey are full court pressing us  ::)

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2008, 11:00:37 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

My mother-in-law pronounces tomatoes "toe-MAH-toes".  Makes me crazy.  I just don't understand how she can call a perfectly good toe-MAY-toe a toe-MAH-toe. But in the big scheme of things it ain't no big thang.

My Mom's the same way ... and all my Down-East relatives on her side, (my Dad's from Wellesley), "Toe-Mah-Toe" ... it is a bit annoying, (a-yuh!). Is your MIL a Downeaster, too?

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2008, 11:07:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

My Mom's the same way ... and all my Down-East relatives on her side, (my Dad's from Wellesley), "Toe-Mah-Toe" ... it is a bit annoying, (a-yuh!). Is your MIL a Downeaster, too?
Cincinnatian
Yup

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2008, 11:18:06 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Cincinnatian

Yeah ... guess it is a mid-west thing, too ... got a friend in Toledo who does the same thing ... and she adds a German "umlaut" to certain word's vowels, too ... like "bewwts" (boots)and "coewwts" (coats) and the like. Hope the Downeast thing wasn't taken as a slam, (many people would!)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2008, 09:11:49 AM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !
I'm not a Cassell fan at all so I shouldn't comment...but I will!!!

His derrier belongs on the bench.
Let House play!!!

"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird