Author Topic: Pick and roll  (Read 2312 times)

Pick and roll
« on: April 30, 2008, 11:14:11 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Has anyone noticed that kevin garnett was made to run pick and rolls.

Why in the h are the celtics not running any with their stars, Garnett and Ray Allen were destined to run the pick and roll together, yet we havent seen one all season long.

This is a discrace, Cassell is another pick and roll player, why arent we running any real offense when we are clearly struggling against a more athletic team.

Bird and Parrish ran them all of the time with great results against more athletic teams.

Time for this so called coach to do his job and coach.

They dont have to run them all game long but once in a while for sure.

Once again if players play dumb for 5 min it their fault if for a whole game then look your coach square in the face and lay the blame there.
blind optimist or GENIUS

Re: Pick and roll
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 11:22:54 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I don't really agree with that.  Allen does better when he can come off screens and receive the ball in stride for a jumper, rather than running the pick and roll.  And Garnett is more of a pick and pop player.  I would like to see him role more of the picks, but either that's just not his tendency, or not how the plays are designed.  But we do need the ball to be taken to the basket more.  Not just to get higher percentage shots, but also to get some of their players in foul trouble for once.

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 11:36:36 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
Id like to see them run a few and see the results before I would discard my theory.

How can we say it wont work if we never try.

KG is a great shooter, passer and finisher, so is allen, this is what needs to be prodded to see if we can make it work.

Force these athletes to make adjustments and think the game at the same speed their legs are playing.

My money says they cant think as fast as they move.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 01:09:15 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't really agree with that.  Allen does better when he can come off screens and receive the ball in stride for a jumper, rather than running the pick and roll.  And Garnett is more of a pick and pop player.  I would like to see him role more of the picks, but either that's just not his tendency, or not how the plays are designed.  But we do need the ball to be taken to the basket more.  Not just to get higher percentage shots, but also to get some of their players in foul trouble for once.
Ray Allen is fantastic on the pick and roll. He lived off of them back in Seattle. Good ballhandler, good passer, great shooter so they can't go behind the screen and he's got good quickness and turns the corner very well and gets to the hoop. He was brilliant on screen and rolls back in Seattle.

Kevin Garnett is also fantastic on the pick and roll. The hard screens, the jump shot, the ability to finish around the rim. It's a great way to get Kevin to shoot the ball too. It sets him up to be the finisher.

I've wanted to see this all season but it hasn't happened.

There are other screen and rolls I'd like too, I love the Rondo-Pierce one to force the mismatch. A lot like Bibby-Joe are doing. Are any real combination of those four Celtics. Just leave Perk out on the weak side by the rim.

I don't really want to see Doc change anything major for Game Five. It's about doing things better, not doing different things. Their execution hasn't been good, that's the problem. Go back to doing what you do best and have done all season and do it well.

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 10:57:44 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
I almost cried when I saw Doc call a time out, I knew then that we were going to shoot a 3 to win, instead of running a pick and whatever the D gives you, or just go to the hole.

Doc might Suck as a coach for sure.
blind optimist or GENIUS