Author Topic: 9 for 41  (Read 762 times)

9 for 41
« on: May 07, 2019, 12:40:44 PM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
I've been discussing (and having to deal with my friends who are fans of other teams) clown and say the Celtics are DONE. I get it, the theme for today is that it's all Kyrie's fault and the Celtics are so much better without him blah blah, but why is everyone ignoring the elephant in the room that as a TEAM the C's went 9 -41 from 3? This reminds me SOOOO much of game 7 against the Cavs last year when they abandoned going to the hole altogether and wouldn't stop shooting 3's even though Brown and Terry were stinking up the joint from downtown.

I think a degree of fault has to go to Brad. I mean seriously, at what point do you have to get to before you realize "hey we aren't the Warriors" and stop chucking up so many 3's. If they're falling .... Yes by all means keep it going but we do have guys like Brown and Tatum who can effectively drive and get to the FT line repeatedly. Just keep attacking , let the 3 ball go!!! Do you guys realize if we even went 14 - 41 we'd all be having a different conversation today?

Well I haven't lost all hope. Kyrie has been in this situation before. Down 3-1 to the "best" team in the league. They can win 3 straight, they just need to review tape and have a closed door team meeting and get all their petty grievances out and let it go. I hope it's not too late. I could be wrong but logic tells me it has to be something else. Rozier is NOT better than Kyrie. They should be able to make it work. They just need to quit being emotional and start grinding. Attack , Attack , Attack! Play Celtics basketball not Warriors or Rockets ball.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:23:29 PM by Eric_Suede »

Re: 9 for 41
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 12:50:22 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
They came back from 3-1, because they had the best player in the world playing that series... Plus Love had done some amazing last minute defense on Curry to force him into some tough shots.

But I agree, we shouldn't be shooting 3's trigger happily... We have great shooters, but they literally kept taking more and more 3's despite their inaccuracy..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 12:55:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
just to pile on the 9-41 -- that 41 is almost half the team's shots -- 90 total.  a team that takes over 45% of its shots from the 3 yet hits less than 22% of them is running a horrible offensive scheme.  Worst problem with this team's offense is a severe lack of diversification.  no post game.  no backdoor cuts for easy baskets.  the drives to the basket are easy to defend since everyone knows the C's are going to pass it out to the 3-point line rather than take a 6-footer in the lane.  of course the missed shot or turnover in the lane almost always leads to a fastbreak and easy bucket for the other team. 

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 01:01:13 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I agree about shooting too many threes, especially when they're not going in. At some point, you need to admit you need to make a change. Shooters need to see the ball go in. I stated in another thread, that I want to see Tatum go back to his mid-range game, where he seems to be very comfortable. As Mike Felger would say, nerds don't play the game. I know the stats say to shoot the three, but it becomes a bad stat if you can't make the 3 point shot.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 01:10:50 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
I've been discussing (and having to deal with my friends who are fans of other teams) clown and say the Celtics are DONE. I get it the theme for today is that it's all Kyrie's fault and the Celtics are so much better without him blah blah, but why is everyone ignoring the elephant in the room that as a TEAM the C's went 9 -41 from 3. This reminds me SOOOO much of game 7 against the Cavs last year when they abandoned going to the hole altogether and wouldn't stop shooting 3's even though Brown and Terry were stinking up the joint from downtown.

I think a degree of fault has to go to Brad. I mean seriously at what point do you have to get to before you realize "hey we aren't the Warriors" and stop chucking up so many 3's. If they're falling .... Yes by all means keep it going but we do have guys like Brown and Tatum who can effectively drive and get to the FT line repeatedly. Just keep attacking , let the 3 ball go!!! Do you guys realize if we even went 14 - 41 we'd all be having a different conversation today?

Well I haven't lost all hope. Kyrie has been in this situation before. Down 3-1 to the "best" team in the league. They can win 3 straight, they just need to review tape and have a closed door team meeting and get all their petty grievances out and let it go. I hope it's not too late. I could be wrong but logic tells me it has to be something else. Rozier is NOT better than Kyrie. They should be able to make it work. They just need to quit being emotional and start grinding. Attack , Attack , Attack! Play Celtics basketball not Warriors or Rockets ball.

This is why I wonder if people forget that game when they say you can't move on after one bad year.
This year is not just one bad year mixed in with great years. This year ended the same as the 2 prior playoff runs. It was great they made it that far last year, but just because they made it far that doesn't mean the absolute coaching fail in game 7 should be ignored. What we've learned is Brad has not changed and after seeing this for multiple seasons, once cannot expect him to change.

They are not disciplined and he either has no control or wants them to be taking these bad shots.

When they played the pacers, they played smarter and took better shots, I had my hopes up that maybe they finally figured it out. If they played like that, they are at worst tied in this series right now.
Still don't believe in Joe.