Author Topic: Morris Is Winning Me Over  (Read 2137 times)

Morris Is Winning Me Over
« on: May 07, 2019, 12:01:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Going into the playoffs, my biggest fear was Rozier and Morris both playing selfishly and pretty much killing us in the process. Rozier has pretty much confirmed that for me and I'll be glad when he's another team's problem after this season.

But I got to admit, Morris has been fantastic for us in these playoffs. Only had 1 bad game in the Pacers series but other than that, he's been very efficient, made smart plays and is also making hustle plays for us along the way. Playing very solid defense as well. Jaylen and Morris are probably the only two guys who have consistently shown up this entire Bucks series.

And honestly, I think what Morris brings to the table is physicality and toughness, something I feel in general our team lacks. Outside of Morris, I'd say only a healthy Smart, a healthy Baynes and Jaylen Brown fit that category, while the rest of our guys play fairly soft and try to play with finesse.

Perfect example was Morris yesterday playing tough and physical and drawing THREE fouls on the Greek Freak which put him in foul trouble. He was driving inside but also making life a bit tougher for Giannis inside (and drew a charge once in the process). Also single-handedly brought the C's back right before halftime when it looked like MIL would really pull away.

I don't know how much Morris will command this FA, but if we're going past the luxury tax anyways I'd love to bring him back, maybe around 10M AAV (or in the general 8-12M AAV range).

Talent wins in the NBA, but you also need "instigators" and tough guys on the team willing to play physical and counter the other team's toughness.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Morris Is Winning Me Over
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 12:04:29 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Completely agree, he has won me over during this playoff series. He looked like a chucker who was inconsistent during the RS for some stretches, but he has shown in the playoffs that he can score on all three levels and make the right call on when to pull the trigger, a trait that guys like Kyrie and Tatum are just lacking atm. Also love his aggresiveness in driving inside and putting pressure on the defense, as well as his grit defensively.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 12:07:02 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I somewhat agree.

Yesterday, Morris showed more life than anybody on the court. My issue with Morris is he has a bad tendency to clog up the offense. He should use his size more often and attack the basket. Play more inside the perimeter rather than outside.

He did inject some life into the Celts and love that charge he took from Giannis. In game 1, both him and Horford (sometimes both guys at the same time) defended Giannis really well. I think both guys double teaming Giannis should've been the defensive plan yesterday just like the entire Bucks defense swarms Kyrie. But for whatever reason, that hasn't happened in games 2-4.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 12:11:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Completely agree, he has won me over during this playoff series. He looked like a chucker who was inconsistent during the RS for some stretches, but he has shown in the playoffs that he can score on all three levels and make the right call on when to pull the trigger, a trait that guys like Kyrie and Tatum are just lacking atm. Also love his aggresiveness in driving inside and putting pressure on the defense, as well as his grit defensively.

Yep. Morris is one of those guys who can create his own shot and score from anywhere, which can prove vital in the playoffs. But he's also taking smarter shots and like you said, he recognizes the situations and makes wise decisions often.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 12:13:36 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Except Morris can't keep anyone in front of him. That alone should have kept him on the bench.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Except Morris can't keep anyone in front of him. That alone should have kept him on the bench.
I mean he's not great on defense, but he's a saavy and gritty defender who at least tries and actually is able to put a body on players.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 12:23:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Lol by that logic we should have put everyone on the bench last night and forfeited by halftime  :P

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 12:28:24 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Morris is bad on D, but overall he's been better than I expected this year and tried to play team ball.

Can't really as more from someone who was supposed to be your 7th best player and 4th wing.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 12:40:25 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Welcome to the Morris fan club!  It's been a lonely place...glad to have some company... ;D

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 12:44:22 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
Morris is bad on D, but overall he's been better than I expected this year and tried to play team ball.

Can't really as more from someone who was supposed to be your 7th best player and 4th wing.

Yeah offensively he's better than expected, but him, Kyrie, Hayward and Tatum to a lesser extent really kill us on defense.

So Brad relies on the worse defensive players, but is supposed to be a defensive-minded coach.

Overall Brad is just loopy and wishy-washy...yall know that right?

Also he's the one with a chip on his shoulder, and very hard-headed...not any of the players. They still play hard for him, but he's just too wishy-washy and confusing.

I'm not a gambler, but I would bet money that even Jason Kidd would be a better fit as coach because he atleast understands the pro game.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:51:43 PM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 12:51:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yeah offensively he's better than expected, but him, Kyrie, Hayward and Tatum to a lesser extent really kill us on defense.

So Brad relies on the worse defensive players, but is supposed to be a defensive-minded coach.

Also he's the one with a chip on his shoulder, and very hard-headed...not any of the players. They still play hard for him, but he's just too wishy-washy and confusing.
C's defense overall has been good this year, most of it with Morris as a starter.

Players, especially bench players, have weaknesses! That's why they are bench players. Besides its not like Hayward has been good on D either and Tatum/Jaylen can't play the whole game.

I think Brad is pretty straightforward. I think this roster just doesn't have many good answers, they expected to be elite and when they fell short they lost the edge less talented teams need.

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 01:02:50 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

C's defense overall has been good this year, most of it with Morris as a starter.

Players, especially bench players, have weaknesses! That's why they are bench players. Besides its not like Hayward has been good on D either and Tatum/Jaylen can't play the whole game.

I think Brad is pretty straightforward. I think this roster just doesn't have many good answers, they expected to be elite and when they fell short they lost the edge less talented teams need.

They are elite actually, but Brad can't get it out of them consistently because of nearly all his decisions.

To me their defense has stunk all year. They can't stop ball, get blocks, steals, always late on switching, no bigs underneath, can't stop the 3 or penetration, and can't get physical or even hold their ground, and all their lateral movement stinks.

That's pretty dismal for a defensive-minded coach.

I could write a book about what's wrong with Brad but would rather see the front office make the correct decision.  After all they're sitting front row at every game and see it first-hand.

Every bone-headed decision.

And it's no coincidence that Kyrie is the first line of defense and sets the defensive tone.

It is really silly to have Kyrie be the back-bone of a defense oriented team.

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 01:31:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Horford is the backbone of the defense, its just that Kyrie's energy/effort level spills over to the rest of the team. Especially with Marcus not around for those "winning plays"

I'm not sure how the coach is supposed to fix the team's best player and nominal leader dictating the team's energy.

Anyways I'm glad that you acknowledge that the C's are in fact a good defensive team on the whole. I really don't disagree with you that there are still a lot of mistakes being made by the C's. Funny thing, Brad even talks about them when asked, so I don't think he's missing what you see.

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 02:22:37 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Going into the playoffs, my biggest fear was Rozier and Morris both playing selfishly and pretty much killing us in the process. Rozier has pretty much confirmed that for me and I'll be glad when he's another team's problem after this season.

But I got to admit, Morris has been fantastic for us in these playoffs. Only had 1 bad game in the Pacers series but other than that, he's been very efficient, made smart plays and is also making hustle plays for us along the way. Playing very solid defense as well. Jaylen and Morris are probably the only two guys who have consistently shown up this entire Bucks series.

And honestly, I think what Morris brings to the table is physicality and toughness, something I feel in general our team lacks. Outside of Morris, I'd say only a healthy Smart, a healthy Baynes and Jaylen Brown fit that category, while the rest of our guys play fairly soft and try to play with finesse.

Perfect example was Morris yesterday playing tough and physical and drawing THREE fouls on the Greek Freak which put him in foul trouble. He was driving inside but also making life a bit tougher for Giannis inside (and drew a charge once in the process). Also single-handedly brought the C's back right before halftime when it looked like MIL would really pull away.

I don't know how much Morris will command this FA, but if we're going past the luxury tax anyways I'd love to bring him back, maybe around 10M AAV (or in the general 8-12M AAV range).

Talent wins in the NBA, but you also need "instigators" and tough guys on the team willing to play physical and counter the other team's toughness.

The problem with all your thought process is you tough guys should not think they are NBA scoring champs.

Morris kills momentum with his ever reliable my time to shoot mentality.

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 02:28:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He'll be fun on the Rockets next year.  Or maybe he'll join the Sixers and we'll have fun hating him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain