Author Topic: Two Competing Truths  (Read 4624 times)

Re: Two Competing Truths
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2019, 05:23:03 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
This season makes 10x more sense than last season.

Fans are never going to be able to understand that.  Last season’s playoff run was literally unprecedented.  Also, overrated if you look at it rationally.

This season, a team with a top 25 player and no other stars winning 49 games and losing in round 2 to the #1 seed is completely logical. 

On some level I’m disappointed too, but my level of disappointment is completely dwarfed by my all-out dumbfounded shock that a starless team of children were able to win a couple playoff series last year.

I honestly think this year's top 4 eastern conference team  - INCLUDING the Celtics - could have come out of last year's Eastern conference playoffs, and beaten either last year's celtics or last year's cavs.

to answer both you guys...The east got reallyyy really good..last years team is not making it out of the first round.

Re: Two Competing Truths
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2019, 06:06:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Lack of talent is a problem.  There’s maybe a handful of players at most in the entire league that you could swap kyrie with and have a chance of beating the bucks.

Key distinction with your hypothetical is are we swapping out Kyrie immediately prior to the start of this series, or are we swapping him out in August 2018 and seeing how the season plays out with Player X in place of Kyrie?

Because if it's the latter, I think there are more than a couple players who could fit the description.
I honestly don't think it matters.  Assuming Giannis is out of play, I really think the only guys you could add to this team with a shot to beat the Bucks are Durant, James, Leonard, Embiid, and possibly Curry, Harden, and George (and PG is only there because I think he could actually defend Giannis fairly well).  I really don't think you could add anyone else and make any sort of real difference against the Bucks (and let's be clear I'm not saying those new teams would beat the Bucks, only that they would have a decent opportunity to).

I think if this Celtics team had their head on straight and they were led by, say, Damian Lillard, then they could have a reasonable shot of at least winning a few games and keeping the rest close against this Bucks team.

This Bucks team looks invincible against this disjointed, undisciplined Celtics team.

They are a very good team, and Giannis is a great, great player.  I don't think they're as invulnerable as they've looked in this series.
Boston won a game though, I don't think winning an extra game matters all that much.  If you want to beat the Bucks, then you have to add a special player.  I forgot Davis, I think if this team swapped Kyrie for Davis it could give the Bucks fits as well.  Now if you add Davis and keep Irving, that is when you really have the potential for something special.

I think belaboring this point is probably silly beyond what we've already said, but personally it would make a big difference to me if they were competitive in these games and went 6 or 7 games against the Bucks, as opposed to winning the Game 1 (which was an afternoon tip on a Sunday) and then getting blown out in four straight matches.

Let’s not forget the 83 Larry Bird McHale Parish Celtics were swept in 4 straight in Eastern Conf Semi Finals by the Bucks, leading to coaching change and trade for DJ. We went on to win NBA championship 2 out of next 3 years.

Kyrie if smart will stay in Boston. Danny will then make the Davis trade happen. In fact Wyc will insist it. We will be fine.

This wasn’t our year. 1983 wasn’t either.

The sun will come out tomorrow.