Author Topic: Hot Seat for Stevens  (Read 4633 times)

Re: Hot Seat for Stevens
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 11:41:55 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Coach Bud did something he hasn’t all year after Game 1. His team started playing tighter coverage on the perimeter and switched. He wasn’t so stubborn after all. C’s started chasing points and that lead to lazy basketball.

That Giannis guy gives the Bucks something the C’s do not have as well, balance. He’s a rather large x-factor lol

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 11:48:07 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
For me, the lack of adjustments during the game, especially Q3, are major causes for concern. This team underperformed this year

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 11:49:38 PM »

Offline exbo1993

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
I don't see Stevens lasting past next year,if there's not great improvement. Of course that means a revamped roster (Goodbye Kyrie,Hi AD) and style of play(less 3's,more 2's). But then,who would be the lead guard,and would AD NOW want to play here? Oh,I'm getting a headache. Oh,well.....GO PATS¡¡

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 12:01:40 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
CBS. ... should go back to college ball.

CBS

Could Be Sacked!

Or

Can Brad Soon

College Ball Steve

TP for Playing along!

Cannot Buy a Shot

Unless the “a” ruins it.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 12:29:10 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
CBS. ... should go back to college ball.

CBS

Could Be Sacked!

Or

Can Brad Soon

College Ball Steve

TP for Playing along!

Cannot Buy a Shot

Unless the “a” ruins it.

or you can simply go with Can't Buy Shots. That solves your 'a' problem. lol

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 09:10:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think you move on from a coach who's over performed his talent for three straight years after one bad year with the weirdness of Kyrie, a recovering Hayward, and the young guys struggling to fit to roles.

After this off season things simplify for everyone. Either Kyrie returns and we trade for Davis (in all odds) or Kyrie walks and we commit to building around Tatum/Brown.

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2019, 09:43:46 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I don't think you move on from a coach who's over performed his talent for three straight years after one bad year with the weirdness of Kyrie, a recovering Hayward, and the young guys struggling to fit to roles.

After this off season things simplify for everyone. Either Kyrie returns and we trade for Davis (in all odds) or Kyrie walks and we commit to building around Tatum/Brown.
Agree with that. I hope they find a way to adjust the roster.
AD will be perfect. we have zero inside presence. we need a big who can give us 20 a game on high percentage shots close to the rim. (for all those games where we go 20% from 3) 

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2019, 10:23:55 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
People are so quick to throw a coach under the guillotine, yet they'll give players 3 or 4 years to "develop and learn". You don't give on a player who has one disappointing season, so neither should you for a coach.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 10:25:37 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Brad is a college coach. Preaches team first. He is successful with young players and teams that do not have stars. He has had no idea how to coach or design an offense with Kyrie and Hayward being involved.

If they stay young and build that way, Stevens is a great coach to have.

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2019, 10:28:05 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

pretty much this.

Stevens did well prior to this year.  I don't think a lot of people would say he didn't have an off year this year but he's hardly on a hot seat for this one year.   I'm sure they'll be another roster shake-up this offseason whether it be the AD trade or the loss of Rozier and possibly Morris and adding drafted players.   Let's see how he does with the roster going into next season before kicking him to the curb

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2019, 10:28:27 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Brad is a college coach. Preaches team first. He is successful with young players and teams that do not have stars. He has had no idea how to coach or design an offense with Kyrie and Hayward being involved.

IMO the issue is Kyries style of play and CBS don't match. they thought CBS could adjust his system to work well with Kyrie but that didn't work well. 

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2019, 10:31:39 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC

IMO the issue is Kyries style of play and CBS don't match. they thought CBS could adjust his system to work well with Kyrie but that didn't work well.

Agree. I think this team with Stevens and Hayward would be much more successful with Hayward running the offense. I just don't think Kyrie fits the roster nor with what Stevens tries to do. If Kyrie stays they have to fix this.

Also Hayward cannot be a 30 million guy a year and come off the bench and average like 13 points a game. He has to be a 20 plus point scorer a night.

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2019, 10:34:19 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
People are so quick to throw a coach under the guillotine, yet they'll give players 3 or 4 years to "develop and learn". You don't give on a player who has one disappointing season, so neither should you for a coach.

If the Lakers had kept coach Westhead instead of promoting Riley, the 80's may have not been as great for the Lakers.

Sometimes you need a coach to get the team to the hump but then a new one to get them over it.

This team has way too much talent to have faltered like this. That's on the coach.

It's great we had a nice run last year, but we still lost a game 7 to a team they should've beat.

Brad was unable to get this team playing up to its potential the entire year. He had a whole season to figure things out and was unable to do so. What is he going to learn in 5 months that he couldn't since last Oct?

How many more frustrating games are we going to watch where they shoot themselves out of it before we all agree that Brad doesn't have control of his players?

Maybe he would do better in a new situation. I firmly believe the only way this team wins a title is to have so much talent it overcomes his deficiencies.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2019, 10:41:10 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Kyrie spent all season long acting like "I've been here and done this before, the playoffs are what matter and that's what I live for."  We were supposed to put up with all his BS this whole time and accept that it's the cost of having a superstar on your team.  It will all be worth it because he'll show up big in the big games and make the difference.

Well now it doesn't seem like any of it was worth it.  Kyrie deserves all the ridicule and criticism coming his way.  Act like a jackass all year like we should give him a pass for anything he says or does because he's the difference maker in the postseason, and then he completely lays an egg three games in a row to end the Celts' season.

Boy, bye, as they say.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2019, 10:47:00 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Next year, Stevens needs to be on the hot seat as the Celtics coach. The problem is Ainge wont' put any pressure on Brad. Great coaches are known for putting their players in the best position to be effective and win ball games. Stevens does the exact opposite, most of the time. I predicted before the Bucks/Celtics series began that the Bucks would win. The Bucks would win b/c the Celtics chuck up way too many 3's; don't get enough points in the paint; are 29th in the league in FTAs; stand in the corners, rarely cutting to the basket for easy buckets; don't post up Horford, Tatum and Morris nearly enough to be effective; Stevens fails to emphasize the importance of blocking out on rebounds. And lastly, Stevens appears to be afraid to hold his players accountable.

This is an excellent analogy of the season. Add poor timeout management to the pile. Stevens is a smart guy, has a good basketball IQ, but struggles as a problem solver at the professional level. DA has some tough decisions to make.