Author Topic: This team proves that talent alone don't win you a series  (Read 4100 times)

Re: This team proves that talent alone don't win you a series
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 02:23:15 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think what this team proves is that many overestimated their talent.  One top 20ish player, another top 30ish, and some youngsters that are not ready does not a championship team make.

Yup. Our (and the media’s) high expectations are part of the cause for the disappointment this season. But really those were unrealistic expectations when you factor in what we now know:

- Tatum had his rookie season this season, not last season
- Irving is a weird dude and can be a distraction, and needs to work on his off-court game
- Hayward needed a fulll year of in-game recovery to get to where he is now - and has a ways to go still. THIS point is huge. This team was supposed be Kyrie’s AND Hayward’s. The latter half is missing. That’s enormous.

With the benefit of hindsight we all thought it would be easy to slot Kyrie and Hayward back into the lineup but it's disrupted the team's chemistry for the entire season.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 02:52:01 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Most of my playoff-hopes were based on Stevens, especialy after game 1. After all what happened, it seems that was only a false hope. It wasn't the Celtics or Stevens that were so good in game 1. It was the Bucks who were just got warm. This is the reality. With all these players on our roster, you can't blame Kyrie. It's on Brad to fit the players in and make a team of them. I don't mean he's bad coach by this. I just see the things are not developing as expected and it's on coach to be responsible for this. All of us I believe want some answers once the season ends. A lots of answers.

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2019, 04:08:02 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
We have talent that rivals GSW but the team chemistry has been a mess all season long. It’s been hot and cold instead of one long, steady burn. The C’s are a mess and the Bucks are playing like a cohesive unit. That’s been the difference.

Giannis is playing well (and has been playing well all season) in large part because he’s surrounded by cohesive talent around him (plus of course, his natural talent).

Celtics management needs to reevaluate how they want to build a contender.
- LilRip

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 04:48:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
We have talent that rivals GSW but the team chemistry has been a mess all season long. It’s been hot and cold instead of one long, steady burn. The C’s are a mess and the Bucks are playing like a cohesive unit. That’s been the difference.

Giannis is playing well (and has been playing well all season) in large part because he’s surrounded by cohesive talent around him (plus of course, his natural talent).

Boston has no where near the talent of Golden State.  It isn't even close.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 04:50:59 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Outside KD, we stack up well individually.

Kyrie vs Steph
Horford vs Draymond
Tatum vs Klay

Again, I’m talking about talent in a vacuum

And then we have Brown, Hayward, Rozier, and Smart. All terrific individual talent.
- LilRip

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 04:59:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Kyrie vs Steph
Horford vs Draymond
Tatum vs Klay

And then we have Brown, Hayward, Rozier, and Smart. All terrific individual talent.
You can't just go outside of Durant, but even if you could you are just wrong.  Curry is significantly better than Irving.  It isn't close.  Thompson is the 4th best player on either team.  And right now with the way Hayward looks, Green might very well be the 6th best player.  The talent discrepancy between Golden State and Boston is massive. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2019, 05:20:24 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
This team proves that they don’t have nearly as much talent as some fans believe. 

1-star team.  49 wins and a first round exit makes sense.

Do you really believe Mirotic, Lopez, George Hill and Pat Connaugton are better than our players like Hayward, Tatum and Brown?

Bucks play better than its sum of all parts.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:27:12 AM by mr. dee »

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2019, 05:22:41 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Kyrie vs Steph
Horford vs Draymond
Tatum vs Klay

You can't just go outside of Durant, but even if you could you are just wrong.  Curry is significantly better than Irving.  It isn't close.  Thompson is the 4th best player on either team.  And right now with the way Hayward looks, Green might very well be the 6th best player.  The talent discrepancy between Golden State and Boston is massive.

Idk about the Curry and Durant thing, I can’t say curry is soooo much better than Kyrie, but the rest I agree with. GSW is clear and far away better than anything we have. Durant alone is in a tier of his own compared to who is in the playoffs right now, but Tatum?

You are mentally insane if you think Tatum is anywhere comparable to Thompson. At this rate I’d be surprised to see Tatum ever making an All-star team. I’ve been holding my tongue on him for a long time because I wanted him to keep sneaking these 20ppg showings so he would be easier to trade for AD. I agreed when he was saying “they are having me in the same convos with AD so I must be doing something right.” I was just as stunned as him because he doesn’t deserve that.

Will he get better? Sure I don’t see why not. Will he be a franchise player? I don’t see it. He makes way too many bad decisions and has fell in love with taking contested shots.  When the ball is in his hands he looks to score, he hardly ever sees anyone open. He has a cross over that doesn’t create much space either. Off ball he’s often standing on the wrong spots and he has an ugly juke move that creates next to no space. I hardy see him cut off ball for whatever reason. He finishes terribly in transition idk why no one ever has mentioned this. His defense is hardly “ok”. He just started catching and shooting this year. Last year he would be WIDE OPEN, catch the ball and do this stupid little pump fake move and drive into a contested lane. Oh he also doesn’t finish at the rim well and complains about calls.

This is all observations I’ve always had on him. His game is mid range and that’s outrageously inconsistent.

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 06:26:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

We lack consistent offense and live and die by our jumpshot, as of late it has not been good save game one of the MIL series.

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2019, 06:51:41 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
This has been an overrated roster from the start. No chemistry, no legit shooting from outside. Stevens has struggled mightily. They are pretty much the same as they were day one. Never turned the corner.

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2019, 07:16:00 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Bad rotations really hurt them all year last night was a mess. BS needs to commit to some size. And he needs to bench Hayward for Semi.

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2019, 07:35:07 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I think what this team proves is that many overestimated their talent.  One top 20ish player, another top 30ish, and some youngsters that are not ready does not a championship team make.

Dingdingdingding, we have a winner.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2019, 07:53:47 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
This team has alot of talent.

The biggest issues are fit and bad coaching choices, and a MAJOR fumble from Danny at the deadline.

I will explain.

Kyrie need a couple of things around him, good consistant shooting, and bigmen who can rebound and get the ball out.

Kyrie has not had that all year, with Tatum taking long 2s, the big men being old and hurt, and hayward sucking.

This is terrible fit.

The next is on brad for jerking lineups about, not sticking with hot hands, and basically not creating a true pecking order.

LAst is on Danny for not addressing the shooting and bigman issues, and at the same time moving one of the biggest momentum killers of the season at the same time by trading Rozier and Morris at the deadline.

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2019, 08:00:06 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

This team has alot of talent.

The biggest issues are fit and bad coaching choices, and a MAJOR fumble from Danny at the deadline.

Talent that can't generate steady offense and inconsistent shooting.

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2019, 09:14:21 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The team does have a lot of talent.  problem is, that talent was not meshed together to form a team that was at least the sum  of its parts instead of looking like a bunch of guys in a pickup game at the Y. 

some of that's on the coach.  some of that's on the players.