Author Topic: Havlicek Got Frustrated With His Teammates Too, But Kept in the Locker room  (Read 614 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The below quote is from Gary Washburn in today's Boston Globe. It is Dave Cowens describing what it was like to play with John Havlicek:

“[Sometimes] he would lose his patience with us sometimes when we played without a whole lot of smarts. How he would go on a rant in the locker room and how he would try to humor us because it was so out of character. ..... That kind of stuff, just normal locker room good stuff. But I just remember how clutch he was in game situations. When you needed somebody to score, he was going to get the ball. He wanted it in his hands because he was going to make a good decision.”

Havlicek's frustration/anger with his teammates is not unlike what Kyrie has expressed. I guess the major difference is Kyrie went public with it, Hondo did not. 

Larry Bird after a Celtic loss in the NBA finals (can't remember if it was against the Rockets or the Lakers; it was a series we went on to win) said on TV right after the game, "we played like a bunch of sissies."  It is not unusual to call out your team.  Kyrie has gotten better at including himself when he criticizes his team's effort, etc. 

I feel that it is up to Kyrie to keep his teammates motivated to make the right plays.  If he continues to yell at them publicly (as was reported by Jeff Goodman from a Bucks' player during game 3), his teammates will quit on him.  How the heck else do you explain that uncontested dunk by George Hill in the 2nd half?  That was regular season Celtics play, not playoff first five games play.