Do you Believe Stevens is the right Coach for this team

Yes
53 (74.6%)
No
11 (15.5%)
I love the guy but no
7 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Poll: Do you Believe Stevens is the right Coach for this team  (Read 7764 times)

Re: Poll: Do you Believe Stevens is the right Coach for this team
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2019, 09:38:31 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Yes, I love CBS, but I can't not to ask where did we lose our ball movement, which was Brad's signature on this team. The ball-flow is just to slow and when it's slow, we can't play our best basketball.

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2019, 10:30:29 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The days of players being afraid of their coaches in the NBA are long gone. In today's NBA where stars have contracts that pay them up to 10 times more money than their coach and have guaranteed long term contracts, there is nothing the coach can do to instill fear.

Better to create respect between your players and you so they can buy into the system and manner of play that the coach wants to play.

Today's NBA is no different than any high end professional entertainment business. It's much like movie making. The players are the stars and performers but they will only be as good as their plan(script) and coach(director) will take them. For that reason best to have mutual respect and an open, honest and professional communicative style to get things done.

I just don't see today's modern NBA player responding well to the loud, emotional, screaming coach that instills fear rather than professional patience and strong calmness.

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
In some cases it works with young teams.  Chicago just extended Jim Boylan which surprised me given that when he took over they needed meetings because the players were caught off guard he his 'old school' approach, but it apparently was the right fit at this point in the team's development.

But history has also shown that this approach has a shelf life.  Bill Fitch and Rick Pitino were two examples here. Fitch had a lot more success, but by the end Shaughnessy was calling him 'Big Brother Bill' and the players were tuning him out. Pitino's approach didn't work, despite a huge contract, and he had a very young team.

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2019, 12:09:11 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
This poll tells me you are much more likely to start a thread if you're against something than for something.

Nice to see that the quiet majority are still behind the coach

« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2019, 12:14:23 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
What now seems weird is how do you get rid of Rondo to protect Brad then bring in another head case in Kyrie?

I think rondo was on his way out which is why they got smart.  Then instead of developing smart as your point guard of the future and building in areas of need, Ainge trades for another oh, drafts another pg,  gets some ham and eggers thenyrades for another pg.  all to come to the conclusion that the pg you originally drafted was probably where you shoulda started building your team.

It was clear Brad could not handle Rondo.
It was clear we needed to move away from Rondo. Often uncoachable, poor shooter who sometimes cares to play defense. Oh and he lost all his speed.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2019, 01:51:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
This poll tells me you are much more likely to start a thread if you're against something than for something.

Yeah, there are about 8-10 people who have commented in here(sometimes more than once) that are clearly in the "no" category. That sentiment has been loudly heard in the comments and yet, without that loud group, the poll overwhelming, almost completely, supports Stevens and his ability.

« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2019, 02:03:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah, there are about 8-10 people who have commented in here(sometimes more than once) that are clearly in the "no" category. That sentiment has been loudly heard in the comments and yet, without that loud group, the poll overwhelming, almost completely, supports Stevens and his ability.

Currently 26.8% of respondents say some version of "No."

I don't know if 1/4 people saying some version of "no" means that there is "overwhelming, almost complete" support for the coach.

Certainly it feels like there are more Brad doubters given how often that sentiment is expressed. 

I think most people recognize that Brad isn't perfect but the Celts could do a lot worse.

There will probably always be a contingent of people who think like my dad -- "The Celts need a disciplinarian!  They need a hard-ass to whip them into shape!"
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2019, 02:28:14 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

I don't know if 1/4 people saying some version of "no" means that there is "overwhelming, almost complete" support for the coach.

Certainly it feels like there are more Brad doubters given how often that sentiment is expressed. 

I think most people recognize that Brad isn't perfect but the Celts could do a lot worse.

There will probably always be a contingent of people who think like my dad -- "The Celts need a disciplinarian!  They need a hard-ass to whip them into shape!"
I really don't think it works that way in this day and age, to be a disciplinarian.
It's a players league, actually owners, but players tailor a lot of NBA fabric.
Coaches much, much less.

I have read critiques countless times from dozen or so of the existing Brad doubters, but I have never read once a proposed name of an existing coach (like a real human being, not an imaginative almighty God-coach) who would solve all of this teams issues that Brad hasn't been able to.

If Pop is a name here is my response to that answer.
Pop - is old. Kyrie and the rest of our young ambitious guys would retire him in 2 months, mid season Jerry Sloan style. Also, perfect Pop can't instill in his whole veteran team a light-bulb for "calling the timeout" in a season ending moment.
If he was here, I believe that these very same guys would be making jokes about his incompetence and apparent brain damage.

« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2019, 02:57:25 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
We don't need a bobby knight, but we could use something in between that and Charlie from Me, Myself and Irene.

I don't think we're asking for a screamer, but someone who can tell a player like Terry if he shoots one more freaking ill-advised 3, he's taking a seat for the remainder of the game.

Now when it comes to seeing your team get hosed by the zebras for 3 straight quarters, we need this:

And less of this:

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2019, 03:03:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

As I said take the loud minority of 10 people and the poll is 52-8. That's pretty overwhelming.

The point is you read this thread and you would think most people would want Brad gone. But remove that vocal minority and a very large majority feel otherwise.

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2019, 03:34:45 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
We don't need a bobby knight, but we could use something in between that and Charlie from Me, Myself and Irene.

I don't think we're asking for a screamer, but someone who can tell a player like Terry if he shoots one more freaking ill-advised 3, he's taking a seat for the remainder of the game.

Now when it comes to seeing your team get hosed by the zebras for 3 straight quarters, we need this:

And less of this:

Brad: "Be passive Terry, when you enter the game, don't initiate anything since you might fail and then I'll bench you."
Terry: "Thanks boss, I'll do that."

Sound like a way to go!