Do you Believe Stevens is the right Coach for this team

Yes
53 (74.6%)
No
11 (15.5%)
I love the guy but no
7 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Poll: Do you Believe Stevens is the right Coach for this team  (Read 7767 times)

Re: Poll: Do you Believe Stevens is the right Coach for this team
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2019, 01:36:40 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

I'm surprised I'm turning on the guy but he's not an alpha. Players should be at least a little intimidated or even scared of their coach nobody scared of this guy.

Name me another NBA championship coach as passive as Brad. Great coach with lesser players. Avg coach with this team.

The OP has some good points, Stevens is not perfect. He has his own agenda when calling timeouts during a game. He's not a guy that rally's the troops very well either, the team certainly doesn't fear his personality. He doesn't punish lazy and poor play either.

Doc wasn't a basketball genius by any means but he was excellent at rallying a team and creating togetherness. Right now the C's could use some of that.

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2019, 01:44:32 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I love Ainge but I felt that he did not make moves at the trade deadline and all our rivals did.

Agreed

He could have traded a 2nd for Kanter

He would have helped with slowing down Giannis

Kanter in no way would have helped with Giannis.

You don't know that. I can't believe Ainge didn't go for Kanter after he was waived by the Knicks. Ainge didn't do his job this season. A million small forwards, no pure scoring guard and an injury prone Baynes at center.

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2019, 01:46:06 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Two issues for Stevens.

This isn't "the team". I understand that it might be but, it isn't. Ainge hasn't spent the last decade building "this" lineup. I suggest the majority here agrees on this basic point. Sure, Davis would be nice, but, if he isn't coming here? The re build continues.

The rebuild is up to management.

The second issue.

This team really isn't that "good."
They are patchy. You never know what you're going to get...etc.

They don't lean enough towards defense as they are not built for it.

Horford, Morris and Tatum are your front court in the playoffs? I just don't see it. This isn't a piece de resistance for Ainge is it?

I'd prefer Garnett and Perkins with Pierce.

My point here, is that Ainge (I hope he's feeling better) isn't going for and has never intended to go for the title with this group.

Thus, expecting Stevens to be "responsible" for The Milwaukee Bucks beating us is reasonable as he is the boss, but, this team isn't good enough to beat Milwaukee, unless they play better than they have for this season.

Ainge is on the half century plan.

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2019, 01:47:38 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I love Ainge but I felt that he did not make moves at the trade deadline and all our rivals did.

Agreed

You don't know that. I can't believe Ainge didn't go for Kanter after he was waived by the Knicks. Ainge didn't do his job this season. A million small forwards, no pure scoring guard and an injury prone Baynes at center.

Guys that got waived were looking to sign with teams that could promise them more playing time. The Celtics were in no position to do that.

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Agreed

Ainge didn't make moves at the deadline because he's holding on to our assets to go for AD this summer.

Sixers and Bucks made some nice additions, but none of the additions we could have made would have been worth limiting our chances to get AD.

And what if he doesn't get AD and Kyrie leaves? What's the back-up plan?

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2019, 01:52:02 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Agreed

Ainge didn't make moves at the deadline because he's holding on to our assets to go for AD this summer.

Sixers and Bucks made some nice additions, but none of the additions we could have made would have been worth limiting our chances to get AD.

At least we'd still have Tatum, Brown, Smart Horford, Hayward and a bunch of good draft picks, plus Kyrie's salary slot. We would have options.

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2019, 01:55:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Stevens isn't the worst coach, but he also far from the best.  There's plenty of coaches currently in the league I'd rather see leading the Celtics (Pop, Doc, Spo, Carlisle, Kerr, Snyder).  Unfortunately, none of those coaches are available. 

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2019, 02:21:38 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

Agreed

At least we'd still have Tatum, Brown, Smart Horford, Hayward and a bunch of good draft picks, plus Kyrie's salary slot. We would have options.

Options that'll lead us to another second-round exit  :'(

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2019, 02:39:58 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Yes.  All coaches are frustrating at times.  The pros outweigh the cons by a huge margin with Stevens.

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2019, 02:53:44 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
People are beyond delusional if they think Kanter would help us right now. He would be unplayable against this Milwaukee team.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2019, 03:00:20 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

Agreed

not likely

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2019, 03:07:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Agreed

Guys that got waived were looking to sign with teams that could promise them more playing time. The Celtics were in no position to do that.
Kanter signed to be a back-up center.  It has only been the injury to Nurkic that has given him the minutes and platform he has now (he was averaging less than 20 mpg before Nurkic went down).  He actually might have started here and certainly could have had 20 mpg available for him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2019, 03:13:29 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think Brad needs to grow a caveman beard. That might make him look more intimidating and might make some people happier.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2019, 05:13:34 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Absolutely not!

I like brad but he’s not a high talent roster coach.  They need a strong personality leader coach.  I’m not the biggest doc rivers fan but he woulda got more outta this team

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2019, 05:15:56 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
What now seems weird is how do you get rid of Rondo to protect Brad then bring in another head case in Kyrie?