Do you Believe Stevens is the right Coach for this team

Yes
53 (74.6%)
No
11 (15.5%)
I love the guy but no
7 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Poll: Do you Believe Stevens is the right Coach for this team  (Read 7768 times)

Re: Poll: Do you Believe Stevens is the right Coach for this team
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 10:13:43 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This is a talent problem not a coaching problem.

I would generally agree. Just because Tatum, Brown, and Rozier looked like all-stars last post-season doesn't meant they are now. Just because Hayward and Horford were recently all-stars doesn't mean they are now. We have one all-star level talent and even he is overrated (I like Irving and really hope we re-sign him, but he is talked about in the same echelon of players like Kawhi, Giannis, and Curry and he just isn't at their level).

I am going to cheer like crazy for the Cs the rest of this post-season, but then am going to hope like crazy that we trade for AD. I understand that this season has been a disappointment - so many players didn't live up to their hype - but there is still time for them to come around.

If not, creating a better hierarchy should really help. I do not believe we should move forward with this same group - young players fighting to make a name for themselves in this league don't make the best role players. Hopefully this can be figured out in the offseason...no matter what, this is NOT on Brad.

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 10:17:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I love Ainge but I felt that he did not make moves at the trade deadline and all our rivals did.

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 10:30:27 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I love Ainge but I felt that he did not make moves at the trade deadline and all our rivals did.

It was very questionable, but I think everything that was done this year was to appease Kyrie. Not acquiring contracts that went beyond this year (to use in an AD trade) to staying just over the luxury tax threshold and starting the clock early. I think he wanted to have this team remain as consistent as possible - I really hope his plan works because it stinks to watch your competition get better.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2019, 10:42:42 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Brad Stevens is one of the very best coaches in the NBA. If this team were to remove him right now, regardless of who the Celtics were to hire, they would be taking a major step back in the quality of their head coach.

Stevens, for perhaps the first time in his coaching career, struggled to find answers to get his team to reach it's full potential. He had locker room problems he had never seen or dealt with before, and so, wasn't experienced enough as to know exactly the right way to fix it. Truth be told, there may have been no way to fix it and even Phil Jackson and Red Auerbach would have not had answers for some of the problems that occurred.

And yet, the team won 49 games, swept through the first round of the playoffs, dominated the best team in the league this year in game 1 of the ECS on the road and, if they win tomorrow, will be at 2-2.

Stevens is not perfect but then again, some of the stuff said about him here is just silly

Stevens is docile and created a docile team. Jesus, Giannis was just accusing the Celtics of playing hard to the point of pushing the edge of flagrant fouling. That's not docile. When the Celtics bring their best defensive intensity, there is no more physical a team in the league.

This team is not docile and neither is the coach. Stevens is intellectual, analytical and believes in communication in a respectful and professional manner. For those reasons, he is not your atypical screaming, hollering, ranting, belittling, angry old school coach that some here seem to want Stevens to turn into. That isn't going to happen.

But Stevens, let's it be known to the players when he is not happy. But he does it in a manner that's quiet and so doesn't show up the player publicly. He gives it to them. But so that they hear it and the whole crowd and national television audience doesn't.

And Stevens does work the refs, constantly, and yells at them a lot. But he also has a philosophy that you have to play your game and ignore the refs. Don't let the refs get you out of what you have to do to be successful. Whether as a coach or as a player.

And this idea that Stevens can only be successful with teams without superstars is utterly preposterous. He had IT who played and acted like a superstar and took that team to the ECFs. Last year he had Kyrie and the team was at 46-22 the night Kyrie went out for the season.

Lots of things went wrong this year, but they weren't because we had a superstar and some strange notion that Stevens doesn't know how to coach tremendously talented players. This team suffered from some young players not knowing how to fit into new roles, from a youngish player over trying to be a good leader and fix problems, from outside drama that wove it's way through the locker room, from bad roster balance, from it's 2nd best player struggling to get back to being himself again, from injuries and, yes, from Stevens not having all the answers and being able to fix it all and his own shortcomings in game management. Though, IMO, that doesn't amount to much since for every game you can blame on him for losing with his in game coaching, he most likely won that many games because of his in game coaching.

And that's something too many fans just can not come to grips with. Given the circumstances, there may have been little to nothing Stevens could do to fix some of these problems. There's a good chance even the best of coaches couldn't have been able to get this team to win many more games.

Give me Coach Stevens over just about any other coach in this league and I am happy. He is an outstanding coach. I am glad Danny not only hired him but has him under contract for a good long while.

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 10:52:30 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Two issues for Stevens.

This isn't "the team". I understand that it might be but, it isn't. Ainge hasn't spent the last decade building "this" lineup. I suggest the majority here agrees on this basic point. Sure, Davis would be nice, but, if he isn't coming here? The re build continues.

The rebuild is up to management.

The second issue.

This team really isn't that "good."
They are patchy. You never know what you're going to get...etc.

They don't lean enough towards defense as they are not built for it.

Horford, Morris and Tatum are your front court in the playoffs? I just don't see it. This isn't a piece de resistance for Ainge is it?

I'd prefer Garnett and Perkins with Pierce.

My point here, is that Ainge (I hope he's feeling better) isn't going for and has never intended to go for the title with this group.

Thus, expecting Stevens to be "responsible" for The Milwaukee Bucks beating us is reasonable as he is the boss, but, this team isn't good enough to beat Milwaukee, unless they play better than they have for this season.

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 10:58:53 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Problem is not coaching it's styles of players being too similar and clashing. Guys are doing the same thing so everyone becomes predictable. Need more guys making quick decisions to pass or shoot. Too many doing stutter drives getting caught up then turning it over. Too much hesitation and dancing allowing defense to set.

I'd say BS is an extremely good modern era coach. This is the AAU Players era and coaches like Pop aren't loved by the players see Green, Aldridge and Leonard. LeBron wants a friend as coach. Warriors had a strict coach and he was a scape goat for their failures. Passive aggressive is all about not trying to hurt these player's egos.

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 11:04:34 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Agreed

He could have traded a 2nd for Kanter

He would have helped with slowing down Giannis

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 11:10:17 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Agreed

Kanter in no way would have helped with Giannis.

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2019, 11:45:16 AM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
Even with the Celtics early success with Stevens, I didn't like him. Stevens over-emphasizes the importance of spacing; is fine with everyone chucking up way too many 3's; our team is 29th in FTAs; we rarely get enough points in the paint; there's too much iso ball; too many players just stand in the corners, rarely cutting for easy baskets and we often fail to block out opponents when rebounding. His calm, unflappable demeanor can be a plus. But overall, Stevens is too passive. The results are, we often go on long offensive draughts, allowing opponents to eliminate big deficits. When's the last time the Celtics held onto a big lead ? The fact that we rarely shoot foul shots or get points in the paint and over-rely on 3's will almost always produce long scoring draughts. Defensively, we are capable of being very good. Unfortunately, the defensive effort is wildly inconsistent (ie. Bucks have averaged 123 points in the last 2 games) and I blame Stevens for not holding the players accountable for this inconsistency in effort and execution.

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 11:45:26 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Two issues for Stevens.

This isn't "the team". I understand that it might be but, it isn't. Ainge hasn't spent the last decade building "this" lineup. I suggest the majority here agrees on this basic point. Sure, Davis would be nice, but, if he isn't coming here? The re build continues.

The rebuild is up to management.

The second issue.

This team really isn't that "good."
They are patchy. You never know what you're going to get...etc.

They don't lean enough towards defense as they are not built for it.

Horford, Morris and Tatum are your front court in the playoffs? I just don't see it. This isn't a piece de resistance for Ainge is it?

I'd prefer Garnett and Perkins with Pierce.

My point here, is that Ainge (I hope he's feeling better) isn't going for and has never intended to go for the title with this group.

Thus, expecting Stevens to be "responsible" for The Milwaukee Bucks beating us is reasonable as he is the boss, but, this team isn't good enough to beat Milwaukee, unless they play better than they have for this season.

In my eyes this team is better than the bucks and more versatile.

That team can only play one way, and there's no reason this team shouldn't have handled them like game 1.

They stopped being a cohesive unit switching, threw away their intensity when they had their foots on their neck, and Kyrie decides when the focus is on him with 3 people that he is gonna beat the entire team single-handedly.

That is what happened...and why they're gonna lose is because Kyrie once again threw "team ball" under a bus, and Brad's always late switching with every player he has.

I really don't understand why people blame everything in the world for this team's issues except where the problem really lies...Kyrie and Brad.

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2019, 11:51:06 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Agreed

Kanter is considered the worst defending big in the NBA, so that makes no sense to me.

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2019, 12:09:59 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Even with the Celtics early success with Stevens, I didn't like him. Stevens over-emphasizes the importance of spacing; is fine with everyone chucking up way too many 3's; our team is 29th in FTAs; we rarely get enough points in the paint; there's too much iso ball; too many players just stand in the corners, rarely cutting for easy baskets and we often fail to block out opponents when rebounding. His calm, unflappable demeanor can be a plus. But overall, Stevens is too passive. The results are, we often go on long offensive draughts, allowing opponents to eliminate big deficits. When's the last time the Celtics held onto a big lead ? The fact that we rarely shoot foul shots or get points in the paint and over-rely on 3's will almost always produce long scoring draughts. Defensively, we are capable of being very good. Unfortunately, the defensive effort is wildly inconsistent (ie. Bucks have averaged 123 points in the last 2 games) and I blame Stevens for not holding the players accountable for this inconsistency in effort and execution.

I agree with this post except this team doesn't iso-ball...they just take the wrong shots with defenders close while not passing or having rebounders underneath..that's very different.

Iso is getting the space you need to have a player get in his best spot to score, wherever that spot is. This team NEVER does that except 2 or 3 times a game down low with Al.  ISO basically means isolating a favorable mismatch...at this rate it would take Brad years to implement that one important concept.

If they just posted Tatum atleast 8 times a game 16 feet and in...this offense would be devastating, and the rest of the players would get only token resistance because most of the defense's time would be spent stopping Kyrie, Tatum and Al.

The fact Brad doesn't even think along those lines is what dooms him.

And Kyrie apparently feels everything should go through him first which makes them pretty easy to guard.

Brad just doesn't have the nuances of the pro game to be a great coach.

Also think of the freedom JB would have to create havoc in that environment.

Brad and Kyrie suffocate this team.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:22:46 PM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2019, 12:16:29 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 593
Every time when a thread that criticizes CBS appears,
Unhappy fans always question his manhood.
It seems to me like they would like to see him to pull out a T2 Arnie entrance scene and see him arrive to TD on a chopper with a shotgun.
Then he would be a real man...

I think there is a big difference between bad coaching and players inability to score easy points with some regularity (29th in the NBA).
We don't get easy ones and it is hard to win consecutively without them, it is plain to see all season long.
We can only get them when we play defense, our biggest team strength, which we didn't last game.
Our game-plan around defending Bucks and particularly Giannis is fine, but he played well got some help with the officiating.

If you think that it is CBS fault that our players can't get to the line or pressure the restricted area with relentless driving or simply physically dominating inside, then I will remind, that none of our player on the roster ever did that before CBS coached them.

IMO, this is a roster construction flaw, a not a coaching job gone bad.

Once, and if, we get AD, we will resolve these main drawbacks:
- get to the line, stop the clock and set up on defense (where we are great)
- dominate physically inside, get more easy buckets (rim runs, dunks, punish favorable switches)
- don't compromise your defensive system in the process (AD wouldn't)

It is hard to win without the easy ones.

When your guys are getting screwed along with your title hopes all because you're playing the new holden child, you need to go scorched earth. You'll get a reaction at least. You know what won't do you any good? Saying "refs have a tough job and I undetstand."

I saw a lot of people criticize the Rockets for calling out the league, which I couldn't understand. We should be encouraging more teams to do this because nothing will change if the owners and fans don't speak up.

I'm not even bothering watching the next game because I'm tired of being more concerned about how the game will be called than who it is we're playing.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2019, 01:14:43 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I think there’s a difference between “are we good enough?” and “will we play well enough?” to win the East.

As currently constructed, we are absolutely good enough to beat every team. But it’s a matter of finding the consistent play from everyone to actually do it. There wasn’t a real difference maker out there that would make the rest of our short rotation more consistent.

It’s the lack of energy and desire that goes missing too often, not the skill. Maybe when Smart returns (like last year), he will give us the spark we need to bring that energy for all 48 minutes, like we did in Game 1.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2019, 01:36:25 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Agreed

Ainge didn't make moves at the deadline because he's holding on to our assets to go for AD this summer.

Sixers and Bucks made some nice additions, but none of the additions we could have made would have been worth limiting our chances to get AD.