Do you Believe Stevens is the right Coach for this team

Yes
53 (74.6%)
No
11 (15.5%)
I love the guy but no
7 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Poll: Do you Believe Stevens is the right Coach for this team  (Read 7733 times)

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I'm surprised I'm turning on the guy but he's not an alpha. Players should be at least a little intimidated or even scared of their coach nobody scared of this guy.

Name me another NBA championship coach as passive as Brad. Great coach with lesser players. Avg coach with this team.

Re: Poll: Do you Believe Stevens is the right Coach for this team
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 01:11:32 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
No. He only good at coaching underachieving players and teams.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 01:12:20 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

TP. First post and agreed

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 01:13:40 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Definitely leaning in this direction.

Too bad he's under contract for several more years. Maybe he'll realize this is the wrong job for him and quit this summer.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 01:24:37 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
This is tricky for a few reasons:

1) We've never had two good big men since Stevens took over. There has been Horford for most of Stevens' tenure. But after that it's either an extremely limited center or an undersized 4 playing alongside Al. I would love to see what he can do with another good big man.

2) We all know that we want to win a title every year. But up until this season, Brad has pretty much done all that could be expected and then some. I still have hope that we can continue our playoff run, so unfortunately the jury is still out...

3) I also wonder who would be a better alternative? I am old enough to remember Doc's entire time here in Boston--there were the exact same moments where in-game you wondered what on Earth he was thinking. I unfortunately think that's going to be the case with every coach. I mean, gosh, look at San Antonio not fouling in a Game 7. I still think the world of Pop, but that's inexcusable!

For all of these reasons and more: I voted Yes. I think Brad is the man for the job.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 02:10:23 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yes. Ainge needs to build a more balanced roster.

Too many jumpshooters not enough inside.  Too many guys whose first instinct is to create their own shot.

Brad isn't perfect but he isn't the problem.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 02:55:17 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I voted no, because I just cannot vote yes.  He is really getting on my last nerves right now. He needs to get out of his comfort zone and light somebody up. Refs, players, league. LIGHT SOMEONE UP!!!  Stop punking out. Geeze.

Once he shows me some backbone I will revisit my vote.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 03:06:32 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Not his kind of team with the addition of Irving. Coaches much better in a team-oriented offense and players more willing to bust it defensively.

If we end up with Irving & Davis, we need a stronger coach. If Irving leaves and we get back to our young core sharing the ball and being more active and intense on defense, then Stevens should be fine.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 05:29:46 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Every time when a thread that criticizes CBS appears,
Unhappy fans always question his manhood.
It seems to me like they would like to see him to pull out a T2 Arnie entrance scene and see him arrive to TD on a chopper with a shotgun.
Then he would be a real man...

I think there is a big difference between bad coaching and players inability to score easy points with some regularity (29th in the NBA).
We don't get easy ones and it is hard to win consecutively without them, it is plain to see all season long.
We can only get them when we play defense, our biggest team strength, which we didn't last game.
Our game-plan around defending Bucks and particularly Giannis is fine, but he played well got some help with the officiating.

If you think that it is CBS fault that our players can't get to the line or pressure the restricted area with relentless driving or simply physically dominating inside, then I will remind, that none of our player on the roster ever did that before CBS coached them.

IMO, this is a roster construction flaw, a not a coaching job gone bad.

Once, and if, we get AD, we will resolve these main drawbacks:
- get to the line, stop the clock and set up on defense (where we are great)
- dominate physically inside, get more easy buckets (rim runs, dunks, punish favorable switches)
- don't compromise your defensive system in the process (AD wouldn't)

It is hard to win without the easy ones.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 06:28:18 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
The other day I was thinking how this Celtics team reminds me of the Lakers in the late 90s after Shaq arrived.

Their team was actually more talented in 1997-99 than in the years they won the threepeat. Eddie Jones, Nick Van Exel, Elden Campbell, young Kobe Bryant. That 1999 team swapped Eddie Jones and Campbell for Glen Rice and added Dennis Rodman as a free agent. Those teams were monsters.

They were the most talented team in the league. Clearly. In 1998. Like the Celtics are this year (Horford, Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum, Jaylen + great bench). Yet the Lakers lost.

I have been watching some old games from the 70s, 80s and now some 90s games over last few months rather than watching today's three point bonanza league ... and it is striking how much better the Lakers were under Phil Jackson than Del Harris (who was a very good coach in his own right).

There was just so much more order to the offense. The spacing was beautiful in the Triangle. The movement. Keeping everyone involved in the offense which helped them stay involved as defenders. It was night and day versus the Del Harris offense = where even though they had more talent, the offense was more prone to spits and spurts. It didn't have cohesion. It was too individual.

Anyway, it reminded me a lot of the Celtics team this year. Guys not always been involved in the offense. Wrong players taking too many shots (Rozier, Morris). Not understanding how when and why to prioritize certain shots over other shots. A lack of cohesion. Kyrie (like Shaq) having a phenomenal scoring season but the offense not really built around them and struggling to make the most of the other talent around them.

.... All of which makes me doubt if Brad Stevens is the right guy to take this team to the next level.

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 08:10:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The other day I was thinking how this Celtics team reminds me of the Lakers in the late 90s after Shaq arrived.

Their team was actually more talented in 1997-99 than in the years they won the threepeat. Eddie Jones, Nick Van Exel, Elden Campbell, young Kobe Bryant. That 1999 team swapped Eddie Jones and Campbell for Glen Rice and added Dennis Rodman as a free agent. Those teams were monsters.

They were the most talented team in the league. Clearly. In 1998. Like the Celtics are this year (Horford, Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum, Jaylen + great bench). Yet the Lakers lost.

I have been watching some old games from the 70s, 80s and now some 90s games over last few months rather than watching today's three point bonanza league ... and it is striking how much better the Lakers were under Phil Jackson than Del Harris (who was a very good coach in his own right).

There was just so much more order to the offense. The spacing was beautiful in the Triangle. The movement. Keeping everyone involved in the offense which helped them stay involved as defenders. It was night and day versus the Del Harris offense = where even though they had more talent, the offense was more prone to spits and spurts. It didn't have cohesion. It was too individual.

Anyway, it reminded me a lot of the Celtics team this year. Guys not always been involved in the offense. Wrong players taking too many shots (Rozier, Morris). Not understanding how when and why to prioritize certain shots over other shots. A lack of cohesion. Kyrie (like Shaq) having a phenomenal scoring season but the offense not really built around them and struggling to make the most of the other talent around them.

.... All of which makes me doubt if Brad Stevens is the right guy to take this team to the next level.
TP for the interesting historical comparison. I had completely forgotten about Del Harris.

It sucks because I really like Brad, but his offensive schemes in the NBA have left me questioning him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 09:37:28 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
This season has been a process in waiting for Hayward and Brad was a master of patience Maybe Brad can't coach a mercurial diva like Kyrie maybe Jimmy Butler would have thrived. Kyrie is difficult and his free agency and superstar status(real unique talent) has Brad and Danny hogtied
This is the day of free agents and stars that force their way out .
I think the problem is there are some lesser players like Rozier that think they are alphas but have gaping wholes in their games.
We need Marcus back. Drafted by Celtics groomed as a defensive prodigy who is built for the playoffs and loves Boston.
Hayward and Horford does Brad have any trouble coaching them.No way!

Kyrie has more mood swings than my Gemini wife  but he can really play but he has been stumbling around with attempts to be a team leader. Brad just took it like a man, a leader and Kyrie has blossomed with his best season on the court but when its" his team" he is just a young rookie.

Kyrie you have put me off, i don't even watch the playoffs live I have to keep a distance from a guy that really can play this game .That deserves a place in the rafters and might pass it up for the bright lights of NY or  Durant
I have to keep my distance from our young guys that will go for Davis.Or have to be reprogrammed if they stay.
 Its the business side of NBA now not the era of Bill Russel Bob Cousy John Havlicek,Dave Cowens Jo Jo White or Bird,Parish,McHale,Ainge and DJ or one year of Bill Walton before his knees just gave out.

.I don't like NBA basketball at the moment and i think Kyrie stole the joy with his retracting statements and then the Davis situation  and all simmering attitudes
Jayson,Jaylen,Marcus ,Horford Hayward i think Brads style for them is perfect

Why gut the team to hold a player, that doesn't want to be here and then get a rental, that doesn't want to be here, to have Kyrie stay where he doesn't really want to be .NOW that is flat earth or heart attack territory for a GM.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 10:31:18 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 09:41:30 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I don’t understand this comparison. Brad is exhibit a for ball movement offense. He needs to do better job of having the players buy into it. He lacks Phil Jackson’s strong personality. But Jackson already won 6 rings and commanded respect from his star players especially Shaq.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 10:01:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This is a talent problem not a coaching problem.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 10:05:28 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

I don’t understand this comparison. Brad is exhibit a for ball movement offense. He needs to do better job of having the players buy into it. He lacks Phil Jackson’s strong personality. But Jackson already won 6 rings and commanded respect from his star players especially Shaq.

I can't think of the right words = it is too loosey goosey.

Loosey goosey =   imprecise, disorganized, or excessively relaxed.
    "other guys can goof around, be all loosey-goosey before a game"

Yeah, that is kinda what I am trying to say.

Stevens offense has the ball movement and spacing but lacks in the shot selection & has failed to keep everyone involved (Kyrie, Horford, Tatum, Hayward, Jaylen = those five). As you said, Stevens needs to do a better job of getting guys to buy in. He failed in that.

Del Harris did a great job in terms of ball movement as well. Remember those Lakers teams before Shaq with Nick Van Exel and Vlade Divac. They moved the ball beautifully. Even after Shaq arrived, they did a good job.

It just wasn't as precise / direction as the Triangle. There was more structure under Phil Jackson. More accountability for running the offense / breaking plays / taking good shots.

Loosey goosey = for lack of better term (morning brain failure) = is the reason why I thought George Karl's teams failed in the playoffs. Always the issue with his Sonics teams. His Bucks teams. Those Nuggets teams. Loads of talent and excitement but not enough structure / accountability.