Author Topic: Kyrie Calls out the Refs...Finally!  (Read 6426 times)

Re: Kyrie Calls out the Refs...Finally!
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2019, 01:07:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/05/04/kyrie-irving-complains-foul-calls-giannis-antetokounmpo-ridiculous-slowing-the-game-down/

yes, yes I understand the refs arent the full reason the celtics lost...but Giannis got 22 free throws BY HIMSELF. more than the entire celtics team. In a game when guys on the celtics were driving to the hoop and getting hammered and the refs were swallowing their whistles. On the other end, anytime Giannis misses a shot or coach bud complains the whistles come out. Celtics were in the penalty with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd. That definitely has to effect your defense when you know you cant play physical with a guy.

This has all the makings of the League making this a seven game series. Celtics tie it up 2-2 next game.

Hopefully Kyrie calling out the refs lends them to call the game more evenly next time. I dont care if you are going to call the celtics for those touch fouls on giannis. But on the other end, give Kyrie/Horford the same benefit of the doubt...rather than swallowing the whistles while they get hammered in the paint all game.
The whiners are out in full force.  In what world, is 22 greater than 32?  We actually made 30FTs to the Bucks 24.  Irving got 12 FTAs when he only averaged 3.7 in the regular season.  The Celts are a jump shooting team who was next to last in FTAs in the regular season. 

The refs didn't allow Hill and Connaughton to score 35pts.  The refs didn't bite on a Giannis 3pt fake.  The refs didn't play Ojeleye over Baynes.

Kind of a harsh way to describe your fellow fans. The stats are pretty clear that the refs decided to change what they were calling in the 2nd half. The problem is that they did it for the Bucks first, which severely affected our defensive scheme. The ending numbers don't tell that story, which is why watching the game might have provided insight there. For reference:

- There were 12 free throws in the 1st half on 14 foul calls.
- There were 56 free throws in on 39 foul calls in the 2nd.

If you don't think that our ability to guard closely affects whether their role players get going, or if we can close out to shooters more effectively, then I don't know what to tell you. When the refs let us play a little, it's in our advantage. When they have a tighter whistle, the Bucks have an edge. I don't think asking for consistency is unreasonable.

He is just being obtuse or he did not watch the game. The vast majority of the bucks free throws were gifted during crunch time when the game was up for grabs. The Celtics free throws came way after the game had been decided. They were idiotic make-up calls to make the free throws stats look decent. I knew that trick would confuse some, but it should not confuse folks who actually watched the game.

I have always maintained that basketball of all the major sports is the most susceptible to referee influence. All they have to do is gauge the relative strengths of the teams and decide whether to call the game tight or loose OR if they want to be more sinister, just call quick fouls on the stars of one team and send them to the bench while you protect the other team's star player. And you know that GA is not fouling out anytime soon since he is the league's chosen one.

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2019, 01:15:12 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I wonder if it's that hard to officiate games and blow whistles. You have at least three pairs of eyes out there who have the power to make calls.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 01:23:07 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Giannis is a joke. He travels every time he makes a move and commits offensive fouls and complains, just like Embiid.
If philly got past the raps and bucks advanced I'd actually root for Philly. Bucks fans way too cocky.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 03:05:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
That one call on Brown haunts me. There was contact from Bledsoe trying to go through Brown, he can't, no whistle, Bud is shouting at the ref and then, eventually the ref blows his whistle and kind of lets his hands drop like, "Ok, I guess I'll call that a foul," like Bud had actually browbeat him into making a call.

It was bizarre.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 03:13:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
That one call on Brown haunts me. There was contact from Bledsoe trying to go through Brown, he can't, no whistle, Bud is shouting at the ref and then, eventually the ref blows his whistle and kind of lets his hands drop like, "Ok, I guess I'll call that a foul," like Bud had actually browbeat him into making a call.

It was bizarre.

Did Mr. Cool and Calm Stevens even flinch through this occurrence?

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2019, 05:35:16 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

It was bizarre.

Not sure if this was the occurrence but he flinched at something at least.

https://twitter.com/BrianTRobb/status/1124496155914776576

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2019, 05:57:22 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

It was bizarre.

That call was complete bs.  The two fouls on Brown that were pretty close together time wise were both a bit questionable.  Then he has 5 and has to sit, and the wheels started coming off even more.

Jaylen has been doing a pretty great job in the playoffs.  His effort and intensity have been awesome.  We really notice it when he isn't on the court, especially on def.

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2019, 06:30:52 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I want to see yabusele put in the starting lineup.

First play that giannis come into the paint I want ti see a flagrant foul on him 80s pistons style. Then have someone yell at the refs that "that's a foul"

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2019, 06:31:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I want to see yabusele put in the starting lineup.

First play that giannis come into the paint I want ti see a flagrant foul on him 80s pistons style. Then have someone yell at the refs that "that's a foul"

You mean "The Dave Cowens"? Absolutely!

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2019, 06:33:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

It was bizarre.

And it was in The Garden and that and the other quick foul pretty much ended Jaylen's night!!!

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2019, 07:01:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My dad hates basketball. Knows very little about the game. But we watched the game together, and mid way through the second quarter Giannis went to the hole and my dad said: "Hey that's traveling. Why do they allow that #34 guy to travel all the time?"

My dad is 79 and never followed basketball. He can't even name a player on the Celtics. He has dementia.

But even he was able to see that #34 guy got special treatment from the refs.

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2019, 07:40:54 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Well, we all know it ain’t Brad that’s gonna say anything.

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2019, 08:17:56 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
My dad hates basketball. Knows very little about the game. But we watched the game together, and mid way through the second quarter Giannis went to the hole and my dad said: "Hey that's traveling. Why do they allow that #34 guy to travel all the time?"

My dad is 79 and never followed basketball. He can't even name a player on the Celtics. He has dementia.

But even he was able to see that #34 guy got special treatment from the refs.

We also have this known commentator who happened to be a Kobe fan. Even he noticed how blatant the officiating in favor of the Bucks.

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2019, 05:57:59 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/05/04/kyrie-irving-complains-foul-calls-giannis-antetokounmpo-ridiculous-slowing-the-game-down/

yes, yes I understand the refs arent the full reason the celtics lost...but Giannis got 22 free throws BY HIMSELF. more than the entire celtics team. In a game when guys on the celtics were driving to the hoop and getting hammered and the refs were swallowing their whistles. On the other end, anytime Giannis misses a shot or coach bud complains the whistles come out. Celtics were in the penalty with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd. That definitely has to effect your defense when you know you cant play physical with a guy.

This has all the makings of the League making this a seven game series. Celtics tie it up 2-2 next game.

Hopefully Kyrie calling out the refs lends them to call the game more evenly next time. I dont care if you are going to call the celtics for those touch fouls on giannis. But on the other end, give Kyrie/Horford the same benefit of the doubt...rather than swallowing the whistles while they get hammered in the paint all game.
The whiners are out in full force.  In what world, is 22 greater than 32?  We actually made 30FTs to the Bucks 24.  Irving got 12 FTAs when he only averaged 3.7 in the regular season.  The Celts are a jump shooting team who was next to last in FTAs in the regular season. 

The refs didn't allow Hill and Connaughton to score 35pts.  The refs didn't bite on a Giannis 3pt fake.  The refs didn't play Ojeleye over Baynes.

Kind of a harsh way to describe your fellow fans. The stats are pretty clear that the refs decided to change what they were calling in the 2nd half. The problem is that they did it for the Bucks first, which severely affected our defensive scheme. The ending numbers don't tell that story, which is why watching the game might have provided insight there. For reference:

- There were 12 free throws in the 1st half on 14 foul calls.
- There were 56 free throws in on 39 foul calls in the 2nd.

If you don't think that our ability to guard closely affects whether their role players get going, or if we can close out to shooters more effectively, then I don't know what to tell you. When the refs let us play a little, it's in our advantage. When they have a tighter whistle, the Bucks have an edge. I don't think asking for consistency is unreasonable.

Because first and foremost, he isn't a celtics fan. He is a Sixers fan.

When the game was out of hand in the fourth I saw the refs start giving foul shots to the Celtics to make it seem like it was called even. But they already altererd the game in the 3rd. This is exactly what Donaghy said refs do to influence a game.

The refs have been trying their best to take Kyrie and Brown of their game.

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2019, 08:55:22 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

It was bizarre.

https://mobile.twitter.com/briantrobb/status/1124496155914776576?s=21

Quote from: Brian Robb
Stevens and Brown really letting the officials have it after that call. That's five for Jaylen.

Just because ESPN doesn't show something happening doesn't mean it didn't happen
I'm bitter.