Author Topic: When you lose the game in the 3rd quarter, what does that tell you?  (Read 4971 times)

Re: When you lose the game in the 3rd quarter, what does that tell you?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2019, 07:21:34 AM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Someone is being out-coached

Give us some insight on being “out coached”

Give us an example and what type of adjustments should have been made vs Milwaukee and during the season?

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2019, 08:01:06 AM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
I've never bought the hype of Stevens being an excellent pro coach. His calm, unflappable demeanor fools many fans into believing he understands the game. This year's team was a huge underachievement. If Olidipo doesn't get injured, we are the fifth seed. And most of the so called experts picked the Celts to come out of the East. Many of last years pundits were comparing Stevens to Pop, which is a joke. The Celts are 29th in free throws attempted and are woeful in getting paint points. This is a primary reason opponents, all year long, have gone on long runs to either erase big deficits or blow games wide open. Stevens over-emphasizes the importance of spacing and chucking up too many 3's. The offense is stagnant way too often. Last night was a perfect example, as the Bucks shot 7% FG higher than the Celts.   

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2019, 08:11:07 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I've never bought the hype of Stevens being an excellent pro coach. His calm, unflappable demeanor fools many fans into believing he understands the game. This year's team was a huge underachievement

Then how do you explain taking a mid major to the title game in the NCAA, that ought to show he is a good coach.

Ainge likes him and he knows basketball that is enough for me.

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2019, 09:51:22 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Give us an example and what type of adjustments should have been made vs Milwaukee and during the season?

Well, leaving Jaylen Brown and Horford on the bench until 5 minutes in the 4th quarter is one example.

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2019, 09:53:05 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Well, leaving Jaylen Brown and Horford on the bench until 5 minutes in the 4th quarter is one example.

Pretty sure Jaylen being on the bench was because he got his 5th foul at the start of the 4th quarter. I did notice Al's absence though.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2019, 10:05:55 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Pretty sure Jaylen being on the bench was because he got his 5th foul at the start of the 4th quarter. I did notice Al's absence though.
Horford did play 37 minutes.

Bottom line is that Kyrie and/or Hayward has to play considerably better for us to beat this team.

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2019, 11:46:09 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
This game should show everyone that this team's defensive philosophy, scheme and execution absolutely stinks.

Everytime they're late on the switch. Every single time... but the Bucks actually see where the pass might go and get there as soon as the ball arrives.

They are playing small ball against this team, while still being continuously late on close outs. If that is not the dumbest thing i've seen on a court, I don't know what is.

Some games Kyrie plays facillitator, and some games he plays hero ball. The Bucks focused on him these last 2 games and he chose hero ball.

I really don't know what people expect from this team. They are actually better than the Bucks but can't get out their own way because of the coach, Kyrie, and low usage of Tatum.

They are not gonna win 3 outta 4...game over.

It's fitting for them to get beat by a team that actually can use a big with their shooters knowing when to get to the rim, while they have the personnel but don't.

I'm sorry but I still say let Kyrie walk and change this coach. These problems will linger and fester as long as those 2 are around.

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2019, 11:54:41 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This game should show everyone that this team's defensive philosophy, scheme and execution absolutely stinks.

Everytime they're late on the switch. Every single time... but the Bucks actually see where the pass might go and get there as soon as the ball arrives.

They are playing small ball against this team, while still being continuously late on close outs. If that is not the dumbest thing i've seen on a court, I don't know what is.

Some games Kyrie plays facillitator, and some games he plays hero ball. The Bucks focused on him these last 2 games and he chose hero ball.

I really don't know what people expect from this team. They are actually better than the Bucks but can't get out their own way because of the coach, Kyrie, and low usage of Tatum.

It's fitting for them to get beat by a team that actually can use a big with their shooters knowing when to get to the rim, while they have the personnel but don't.

I'm sorry but I still say let Kyrie walk and change this coach. These problems will linger and fester as long as those 2 are around.
Jayson Tatum's usage rate is hardly down from last playoffs though. I would much rather go for AD & keep Kyrie and Stevens than let all that go and rebuild around our youngsters, one of which has regressed in almost every aspect (besides rebounding) from his rookie year to now
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2019, 12:04:37 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I've never bought the hype of Stevens being an excellent pro coach. His calm, unflappable demeanor fools many fans into believing he understands the game. This year's team was a huge underachievement

Then how do you explain taking a mid major to the title game in the NCAA, that ought to show he is a good coach.

He literally just gave Ainge his second heart-attack...

Sometimes the ones we love the most hurt us the worst.

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2019, 12:05:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You didn't play well in the 3rd quarter?

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2019, 12:08:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

He literally just gave Ainge his second heart-attack...

Sometimes the ones we love the most hurt us the worst.
Lol. Maybe DA gives Stevens the boot to extend his life

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2019, 12:10:56 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

Jayson Tatum's usage rate is hardly down from last playoffs though. I would much rather go for AD & keep Kyrie and Stevens than let all that go and rebuild around our youngsters, one of which has regressed in almost every aspect (besides rebounding) from his rookie year to now

Deep down I really want Kyrie to work out here, because his skill is obvious, but I understand why people call him moody, and his actual game changes with his moods. That's just not something teammates can depend on, or know when the pass is coming or not.  If you notice the passes into the crowd because they expect him to go one on three.

This team changes as his mood changes...not good at all.

Brad, well...I just see him as being serviceable with a few positives, but as a coach of a talented team trying to win it all...he's not the one.

The Tatum thing is the biggest problem in my opinion. He should given the same free reign of Kyrie now, and so should Jaylen.

That's hands down a coach thing. Tatum can put the ball on the floor, score anywhere, and do anything.  The fact he's used as a role-player is just not condusive to winning.  Sorry

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2019, 12:13:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Deep down I really want Kyrie to work out here, because his skill is obvious, but I understand why people call him moody, and his actual game changes with his moods. That's just not something teammates can depend on, or know when the pass is coming or not.  If you notice the passes into the crowd because they expect him to go one on three.

Brad, well...I just see him as being serviceable with a few positives, but as a coach of a talented team trying to win it all...he's not the one.

The Tatum thing is the biggest problem in my opinion. He should given the same free reign of Kyrie now, and so should Jaylen.

That's hands down a coach thing. Tatum can put the ball on the floor, score anywhere, and do anything.  The fact he's used as a role-player is just not condusive to winning.  Sorry
I think Kyrie probably needs a stronger coach, or Stevens needs to be firmer. Not sure either of those are happening.

I would agree with your points about Tatum if he hadn't stunk for almost the entire year.

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2019, 12:40:43 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

I think Kyrie probably needs a stronger coach, or Stevens needs to be firmer. Not sure either of those are happening.

I would agree with your points about Tatum if he hadn't stunk for almost the entire year.

I believe that too, but if you noticed Cleveland was seen as problematic with flaws, with Lebron being the equalizer. That really shouldn't have been the case with Love and Tristan on the same team. That was 2 greats and 2 bigs that got the job done.  To me...Kyrie was holding them back too.

Tatum stinking this year is like my biggest argument against Brad, along with the fact he tells a young team minutes away from the finals "This is your leader now" and "Come off the bench while Gordon gets his groove back"

Brad and Kyrie constantly kill the chemistry JB, Tatum and Smart have, and I can even throw Terry in that because they didn't bleed so much on defense out on the perimeter.  It doesn't matter if Kyrie "tries" on defense...the fact is he's not any better than IT at it because he "tried" too.

Obvously you start Kyrie over Terry, but I think him being available killed us in more ways than one....AND exposed Brad's abilities at the same time.

And watch...if we get Davis we're gonna see his flaws on this team alongside Kyrie and Gordon, because the grass is always greener until they play here.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 12:48:33 PM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2019, 09:28:36 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
thoughts?