Author Topic: Smart vs. Brogdon  (Read 6596 times)

Re: Smart vs. Brogdon
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2019, 08:33:54 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I would not bring Smart back in the middle of a series if it continues to go well.

i agree, don't do anything to mess up a GROUP rhythm.   Maybe a new series.

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2019, 08:59:07 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
With Smart on the court, the Celtics do not give up 28 out of the next 30 points scored.  That defense was pathetic yesterday and the number of open 3s for Middleton was atrocious.  Smart would stick to his man and create mayhem to take Milwaukee out of their comfort zone.

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2019, 11:01:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
With Smart on the court, the Celtics do not give up 28 out of the next 30 points scored.  That defense was pathetic yesterday and the number of open 3s for Middleton was atrocious.  Smart would stick to his man and create mayhem to take Milwaukee out of their comfort zone.
The biggest reason for the Bucks scoring was the scheme. The C's used the same scheme in game 1, which was cheat off all outside guys when the ball goes to the paint and close out hard on the perimeter, hence open outside shots.

Game 1, Milwaukee missed those shots. Game 2 they made them. In game 1 Boston's close outs were faster and made a difference in harassing the shooter. Yesterday the team was slower on those closeouts for sure, or were collapsing too deep making the closeout ineffective.

I am not sure, if Smart was playing in the same scheme that he would have made much of a difference. Just my opinion.

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2019, 11:20:11 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
The biggest reason for the Bucks scoring was the scheme. The C's used the same scheme in game 1, which was cheat off all outside guys when the ball goes to the paint and close out hard on the perimeter, hence open outside shots.

Game 1, Milwaukee missed those shots. Game 2 they made them. In game 1 Boston's close outs were faster and made a difference in harassing the shooter. Yesterday the team was slower on those closeouts for sure, or were collapsing too deep making the closeout ineffective.

I am not sure, if Smart was playing in the same scheme that he would have made much of a difference. Just my opinion.

I agree that the scheme was the same and I agree with your statement in general, but my point is that no matter what scheme the team is playing, Smart adds something to it.  He tips passes, pressures the dribbler, reaches and grabs the ball from the offensive player, blocks shots, takes charges, aggressively switches, etc.  I would have to imagine that at some point in that 28-2 run that Smart would have disrupted the flow of the game.  At least one of the plays that Milwaukee broke down the defense and passed to an open Middleton would have been dissuaded either by the inability to penetrate the defense or by Smart remaining attached to Middleton.  Smart has instincts that are a different breed from the rest of the league, in which he knows what the situation is calling for and he fills that gap.

I was at a game in MSG 2 or 3 years ago in which Porzingis was torching every person that Stevens threw at him and in the second half, Stevens went to Smart on Porzingis and Smart totally shut him down despite giving up 10 inches int he matchup.  It was all about instincts and creating havoc which forces the opponent to play out of sorts.

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2019, 09:21:33 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
Any update on Smart or Brogdon going into game 3?

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2019, 10:21:03 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Any update on Smart or Brogdon going into game 3?

Just that Brogdon has looked good, but no commitment on whether he will play in next game. My thoughts are that they will hold him out and see how they play in game 3, especially since they played so well in game 2. If they lose game 3, they will make him available. 

For Smart, Stevens said a couple of days ago that he is out for another 1 to 3 weeks.  So I could see him being available for game 5 or 6, but not before then.

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2019, 01:40:28 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
the thread title may become an actual playoff situation...

Marc D'Amico

@Marc_DAmico
 Marcus Smart is playing one-on-one against Celtics assistant Alex Barlow. Smart is moving at full speed in every direction.

12:33 PM - May 2, 2019
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2019, 03:12:23 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2019, 06:39:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Brogdon listed as out for game 3.

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2019, 10:59:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Hurry back Marcus Smart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2019, 01:22:57 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
https://nesn.com/2019/05/marcus-smart-expected-to-be-full-participant-in-celtics-practice-sunday/

Marcus Smart Expected To Be Full Participant In Celtics Practice Sunday

Marcus Smart continues to take positive steps forward after suffering a partially torn oblique in April, and it seems that trend will continue Sunday.

The Celtics guard was injured in the penultimate game of Boston’s regular season and missed the entire first-round sweep of the Indiana Pacers. Smart was ruled out for Games 1, 2 and 3 against the Milwaukee Bucks in the C’s second-round series, in which they trail 2-1.

Smart’s defense certainly is missed on the court, and although the Celtics won’t put a timetable on the guard’s return, head coach Brad Stevens offered an encouraging update Saturday afternoon.

“I’m going to talk to our training staff (on Saturday), and then, (Sunday), all indication is he will go through our practice,” Stevens said, per NBC Sports Boston’s Chris Forsberg. “I’m writing up our practice plan now, and I don’t have any live drills on it, so if he does (contact work), it’ll probably be before or after practice, if that’s his next step.”

Smart clearly has been working hard to rejoin his team, as showcased in his recent workouts.

It’s unknown whether the 25-year-old will be active for Game 4 on Monday at TD Garden, but the progress he’s made and the work he’s put in certainly is a good sign.