Author Topic: Jayden Springers Scouting Report  (Read 2335 times)

Jayden Springers Scouting Report
« on: February 09, 2024, 05:40:07 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I'm gonna give you Jayden Springers scouting report.

Philly fans say on offense he can't Pass, Shoot or Dribble. 

However everyone agrees he's already one hell of a defender.  Held steph Curry to 2 points recently in a half.

Strong upper body and lower body. 42" vertical 6'8" wingspan 6'3" no shoes.

Slides his feet well, he's unreal against people setting screens.  Strong hands, gets a lot of steals.

Can also rotate and block shots at the rim. Super strong kid. Can guard 1 through 4 because of his strength,  length, hops.

Struggles a little against super quick guards that stop on a dime.  He has a hard time stopping fast, prob because he's 200 pounds and beefy.

That said he's so athletic that he almost blocked steph Currys shot after getting roasted a little.

I'm thinking We might have a 21 year old Marcus Smart. Without the offensive abilities,  and the kid doesn't even want the ball much so less infuriating. 

If he can just learn to knock down the three at a respectable clip  Brad might have found a diamond in the rough.

Also Brad is the nicest guy ever.  The fact he swung this trade with Philly is crazy. 76ers fans couldn't believe he got traded to the Celtics for a lousy 2nd.

Re: Jayden Springers Scouting Report
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 06:00:48 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Perfect guy you can plug in from the deep bench to hold up the defensive end. Points aren’t going to be needed from him in the No10-11 spot, but defense will be.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 08:00:59 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I like our pipeline of good young defenders: Springer, Tillman and Walsh...and Queta is no slouch on defense.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 08:08:12 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
From reading through Sixers boards, it seems like the question is whether Springer is "defense first", or "defense only".  Defense first can be a valuable piece; defense only is unplayable in the rotation.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 08:12:14 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Going to have to pair him with some scoring (JT, JB)

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 08:16:57 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I get the inclination to compare him to Marcus Smart, but I see Marcus as a very unique player.  I don't think there is going to be another Marcus Smart.  I don't have a whole lot to go on with Springer, I admit, but I am thinking more Avery Bradley.  Maybe some don't remember him as well as they remember Smart.  His first couple of seasons, Bradley could barely dribble but be could bring smothering defense against anyone.

With Avery, it was nerves and mental maturity (neither of which were ever a problem for Marcus Smart) those first couple of seasons.  Once he matured, he developed a more than serviceable offensive game.  I reserve the right to change my opinion as I see more of Springer, but if he can develop somewhat along the lines of the way that Avery Bradley did, it will be great. 

Seems like a really nice piece to add.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 09:59:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So a "dunker spot" offensive player.   

I think this is more of a developmental player who may get spot minutes for specific role, but do the Celtics really need him for that role if everyone is healthy in a close game?  The four start perimeter players all play good to great defense when their heads are in it.   

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 10:25:21 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
We’re all assuming he’s going to get minutes this season. It’s always the assu,prion when new players come into the team, they become the new toy. He probably won’t, given we have Horford, PP, Hauser, Kornet and now Tillman to supplement the the Jays, KP, Jrue and Derrick. We’re not going to all of a sudden have hockey subs. Our team is a win now team not a developmental team. If anything he will get a few minutes here and there.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 10:35:13 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
From reading through Sixers boards, it seems like the question is whether Springer is "defense first", or "defense only".  Defense first can be a valuable piece; defense only is unplayable in the rotation.

I think the Sixers fans largely felt he was developing from defense only to defense first, as you categorize them, and finally had a chance to work on that progress with his recent playing time. Nurse didn’t like that he wouldn’t take 3s — there’s a post-game interview after the Golden State Wednesday where Nurse was asked about Springer’s play, and rather than complimenting his defense went straight to saying that he needs to take more 3s.  He sounded so much like Joe, I thought your head would explode, Roy, if you heard it.

As for improvement, he went from shooting 26% from 3 in the G league as a 19 year-old to 34% as a 20 year old, so he’s shown some development in his career.  This year he only had one game, and not enough time playing in the NBA, to make a fair comparison to see if the growth has continued.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 10:40:50 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
We’re all assuming he’s going to get minutes this season. It’s always the assu,prion when new players come into the team, they become the new toy. He probably won’t, given we have Horford, PP, Hauser, Kornet and now Tillman to supplement the the Jays, KP, Jrue and Derrick. We’re not going to all of a sudden have hockey subs. Our team is a win now team not a developmental team. If anything he will get a few minutes here and there.

Oh, he’s the 12th man.  He’s not getting minutes unless there are multiple injuries ahead of him.  Still, it’s nice to have someone who has an elite NBA ability should he be called upon, and he’s an elite man defender.  But I look forward to seeing him get some run in the fourth quarter vs. the Wizards tonight.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 11:08:14 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Oh, he’s the 12th man.  He’s not getting minutes unless there are multiple injuries ahead of him.  Still, it’s nice to have someone who has an elite NBA ability should he be called upon, and he’s an elite man defender.  But I look forward to seeing him get some run in the fourth quarter vs. the Wizards tonight.
Me too, as it should not be a close game.
He is replacing Banton on the roster and may well get similar minutes in close games.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 11:14:25 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2024, 12:20:23 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I’m keeping my expectations low.

He was shipped out for a Romeo Langford return. He’s about Romeo’s size, and while his defense looks better, his offensive ability sounds like it’s worse?

Langford was solid on defense and got minutes here, so I am sure Jayden will get his chance too, but Romeo’s out of the league. He might get another chance someday because his shooting percentage is up quite a bit this year for both 3s and overall. That’s G-League though and he’s not lighting up or going to MVP like this guy.

Avery Bradley might end up being a good comp, but Marcus did a lot of good to elite level things even though shooting wasn’t one of them.

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2024, 12:39:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

He was shipped out for a Romeo Langford return. He’s about Romeo’s size, and while his defense looks better, his offensive ability sounds like it’s worse?

Langford was solid on defense and got minutes here, so I am sure Jayden will get his chance too, but Romeo’s out of the league. He might get another chance someday because his shooting percentage is up quite a bit this year for both 3s and overall. That’s G-League though and he’s not lighting up or going to MVP like this guy.

Avery Bradley might end up being a good comp, but Marcus did a lot of good to elite level things even though shooting wasn’t one of them.

We'll never know, but if Langford had stayed healthy, I think he'd still be in the league.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2024, 12:17:32 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I'm excited about this kid. He looks to have drive. That's something you can't teach.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sixers-talk-making-sense-jaden-030239750.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpuMJj6vX3U
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 12:28:03 PM by liam »

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2024, 01:09:45 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

We'll never know, but if Langford had stayed healthy, I think he'd still be in the league.

I agree. Looks like Langford is playing for Utah’s G league team currently. I thought Romeo did pretty well in limited minutes his last year in Boston. Defense was solid and he  shot 35% from deep. Played in control unlike Nesmith. Decent size for a 2/3 at 6’5”/216lbs. I wouldn’t be surprised if he made it back to the NBA.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.