Poll

Who is the Biggest Threat to Boston in the East?

Bucks
Sixers
Heat
Cavs
Knicks
Pacers
Other East Team

Author Topic: Who is the Biggest Threat to Boston in the East? (Jan. Edition)  (Read 4351 times)

Re: Who is the Biggest Threat to Boston in the East? (Jan. Edition)
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2024, 08:46:51 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
If we’re being honest with ourselves, there’s only one correct answer - ourselves. Barring injuries, there’s just no one in the East that should theoretically beat us in a 7 game series on a talent basis. That said, our over-reliance on the three leading to huge variability, tendency to crap the bed in crunch time scenarios, questionable late-game coaching decisions, etc. all have plagued us at various points the last few years.

As for other teams, I still think it’s narrowly the Bucks, at least in terms of potential. Though it’s questionable whether they’ll ever get there, especially this year with the coaching change.

For the Sixers, I just don’t trust them in the playoffs given their history, as well as Embiid’s foul-baiting gameplan not translating to postseason play.

You can also throw the Heat in there as a consideration post-Rozier trade, but I’d have to see how they play with him first before putting them there.

What’s to consider?
We should know the heat can beat us.

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2024, 03:01:31 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I voted the Pacers. It just feels like their pace (no pun intended) makes us uncomfortable. On paper we should easily beat them in 7 games, but having to do that would make me nervous.

Not worried about the others at all, except Miami mainly because Spoel always coaches well against us with limited talent. I feel like we're built to beat Mil and Philly.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2024, 05:17:00 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
I voted the Pacers. It just feels like their pace (no pun intended) makes us uncomfortable. On paper we should easily beat them in 7 games, but having to do that would make me nervous.

Not worried about the others at all, except Miami mainly because Spoel always coaches well against us with limited talent. I feel like we're built to beat Mil and Philly.

Both Milwaukee and Philly are different this year. The Celtics will have the pressure of being the favorites for sure and rightfully so. Embiid and maxey being at another level and a significant coaching advantage. the bucks having one of the most clutch performers to go along with Giannis, to think it’s a given we easily beat either of them is wild to me. We are light years from unbeatable.

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2024, 05:39:45 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Both Milwaukee and Philly are different this year. The Celtics will have the pressure of being the favorites for sure and rightfully so. Embiid and maxey being at another level and a significant coaching advantage. the bucks having one of the most clutch performers to go along with Giannis, to think it’s a given we easily beat either of them is wild to me. We are light years from unbeatable.

I'm not sure where I said we were unbeatable...I'm not as bearish on the team as you are, I just don't think Milwaukee and Philly are the ones for us to worry about. I don't think they can beat us in a 7 game series. I think we have enough counters for them and I don't think they can defend against us. I'm a lot more worried about the Heat and the Pacers. I feel they can definitely beat us in a 7 game series. If we get one of those in a first round matchup that might be the toughest one that we would face in the East.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2024, 08:02:56 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
The thing with the Sixers is, they had a 3-2 lead and took us to 7 games last year with Doc Rivers and that loser James Harden. Now they upgraded big time at coach, dumped Harden, and have a more complete team with a deeper bench. So yeah... to me it's Philly. Then Miami. I'm not so sure Philly is "fodder" for us anymore, all the recent matchups have also been tight and well-played.

It's why I root for MIA to finish at the 6 or 7 seed. Let all of PHI/MIA/MIL cannibalize each other while the C's hopefully play a sacrificial lamb in the 1st round, then a 2nd tier team in the next.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller