Author Topic: Combo forwards / big wings  (Read 5140 times)

Re: Combo forwards / big wings
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2024, 06:33:02 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
Bey would be a great bench piece for this team. Why aren't more people excited about possibly going after him?

For me it’s his likely cost relative to his marginal value, and his potential unhappiness at getting moved to a deeper bench role from being a starter, as happens with young players seeking a new contract.

I don't think the cost to trade for him will be much considering he's a free agent this summer. If he helps win banner 18 it's worth it. Regarding his role, what better way to showcase his value than to contribute on a contender as he heads into free agency? It worked well for guys like Gabe Vincent and Max Strus.

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2024, 06:49:38 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Bey would be a great bench piece for this team. Why aren't more people excited about possibly going after him?

For me it’s his likely cost relative to his marginal value, and his potential unhappiness at getting moved to a deeper bench role from being a starter, as happens with young players seeking a new contract.

I don't think the cost to trade for him will be much considering he's a free agent this summer. If he helps win banner 18 it's worth it. Regarding his role, what better way to showcase his value than to contribute on a contender as he heads into free agency? It worked well for guys like Gabe Vincent and Max Strus.

He’s a restricted free agent, and Atlanta gave up 5-6 2nds for him last year..  Im not saying he’s going to be multiple firsts, but it would be a significant percentage of the Celtics’s draft capital for someone who might not slot into more than a 9th man role on this team.  We should be after someone for 1-2 seconds, not 4-5, unless he’d fit into a long-term role on this team, which I don’t see happening with Bey, who’s solid, but not special.

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2024, 06:58:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

He’s a restricted free agent, and Atlanta gave up 5-6 2nds for him last year..  Im not saying he’s going to be multiple firsts, but it would be a significant percentage of the Celtics’s draft capital for someone who might not slot into more than a 9th man role on this team.  We should be after someone for 1-2 seconds, not 4-5, unless he’d fit into a long-term role on this team, which I don’t see happening with Bey, who’s solid, but not special.

Is Bey an upgrade over Hauser? Not really.

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2024, 08:14:28 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Is Bey an upgrade over Hauser? Not really.

That’s why I said he’d likely slot into a 9th man role.

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2024, 08:21:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Another phantom foul!

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2024, 08:07:55 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Horford, Pritchard, Hauser, Kornet are 6 through 9.
We're talking about upgrading the 10th man position, not 8th or 9th, and the question is whether anyone out there is better than Brissett who now has a solid hold on the 10th spot.

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2024, 08:28:28 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
We're talking about upgrading the 10th man position, not 8th or 9th, and the question is whether anyone out there is better than Brissett who now has a solid hold on the 10th spot.

Kornet is only sort of 9th.  On days when Horford and Porzingis are both healthy, he’s often 10th.  When one is out, as is frequent, he’s 6th or 7th.  An upgrade to Brissett would be 9th in the rotation, as he would play more than Kornet when everyone is available, and remain 9th when KP or Al is out and Kornet leaps him in the rotation.  An upgrade to Brissett also wouldn’t have his minutes occasionally taken by Stevens, but that might be moot anyway as Brissett seems close to having finally locked down that job.

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2024, 08:40:59 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Kornet is only sort of 9th.  On days when Horford and Porzingis are both healthy, he’s often 10th.  When one is out, as is frequent, he’s 6th or 7th.  An upgrade to Brissett would be 9th in the rotation, as he would play more than Kornet when everyone is available, and remain 9th when KP or Al is out and Kornet leaps him in the rotation.  An upgrade to Brissett also wouldn’t have his minutes occasionally taken by Stevens, but that might be moot anyway as Brissett seems close to having finally locked down that job.
I actually wasn't trying to list 6 through 9 in order, just that those 4 are currently part of the rotation and now, as you stated, Brissett seems to have locked down the 10th man spot. That doesn't mean he only goes into a game after the other 4. In any case, all this means a trade/buyout/FA signing is unlikely which is exactly what Brad intimated. This is the team that goes into playoff battle.

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2024, 10:34:08 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Something tells me barring a trade that Blake griffin will be back. Could be a wink wink, nod agreement. Hey sit at home we’ll bring you back after the allstar game for the stretch run and the playoffs.