Author Topic: What's Brogdon's Problem  (Read 7420 times)

Re: What's Brogdon's Problem
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2024, 05:11:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I think a lot of folks have conflated Brogdon's professionalism (he always says the right thing) with a desire to win and play the right way.

The reality is, he jumped from a contender in Milwaukee to Indiana where he could take more shots. After his year in Boston he sounds just as happy, if even happier, on a loser in Portland because “I’m valued here. Valued in this leadership/lead-guard role." In other words: as a starter who can shoot whenever he wants.

Brogdon always says the right things, sure, but when you look at the decisions he's made in his career, I don't believe he's as committed to winning as he claims. I don't miss him.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2024, 05:39:14 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
I am kind of disappointed in his comments though....I mean its an odd thing to say that you are more valued/happier on a losing team because you feel you taking more shots/having a bigger role than being 6th man on a championship contender. and his stats this year are barely any better than last year. even white came off the bench last year.

Brogdon has always been that guy. That is why he went to Indiana from Milwaukee. He wanted the bigger role. He wanted the ball. He wanted the plaudits.

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2024, 05:52:16 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I am kind of disappointed in his comments though....I mean its an odd thing to say that you are more valued/happier on a losing team because you feel you taking more shots/having a bigger role than being 6th man on a championship contender. and his stats this year are barely any better than last year. even white came off the bench last year.

Brogdon has always been that guy. That is why he went to Indiana from Milwaukee. He wanted the bigger role. He wanted the ball. He wanted the plaudits.
Actually, he wants the money. He knows contracts correlate with scoring. 

I liked Brogdon when he was here, but now he seems to be looking out for himself. 

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2024, 05:52:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
  Brogdon was a better player than smart . So was White. Yet they had both playing behind him. Why? Because SMART would have made a big problem about it.
  Even in the playoffs when White was clearly a better player in both sides of the ball you’d see Smart playing 36 minutes and White riding the pine with like 23 mins. The Celtics could not risk Smart ruining the locker room. Does anybody seriously think Smart would have accepted what was best for the team? I don’t blame Brogdon . After having to bow to someone  like that and THEN be offered in trade I dint think he owes the Celtics a lie that he was thrilled with it.
   He’s human. He was a pro when he was with us until then and accepted his role. White did too. Smart would not have. Pritchard was worse expressing displeasure he wasn’t traded after the trade deadline. I wish Brogdon well.

No, Brodgon is not a better player than Smart. He's a better scorer, but his defense isn't even comparable (and that made him a liability in the playoffs, especially against Miami.

White played 29.7 MPG in the playoffs last year, while Smart played 34. Smart wasn't playing 50% more minutes like you're implying.

I get that some people didn't like Smart, but that doesn't mean you should act like he was a bad player or a locker room problem.

Smart was our best guard in the playoffs last year too.

D White was great against ATL but he went missing in action against Philly. Completel vanishing act. Disappeared. His bad play was killing us in that series. Then D White continued to lay an egg against Miami for the first few games of that series as well (where we go down 3-1) before finishing the series in excellent form. D White was up and down like a yo-yo in those playoffs. Great early and late with a complete no-show for the middle half. And he got a complete pass for it. Then and now.

Meanwhile Smart plays his best ball in the playoffs and he continues to get hammered. Just as he did in 2022. In 2021. The guy was taking of business and he is the one that gets hammered.

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2024, 05:59:05 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
  Brogdon was a better player than smart . So was White. Yet they had both playing behind him. Why? Because SMART would have made a big problem about it.
  Even in the playoffs when White was clearly a better player in both sides of the ball you’d see Smart playing 36 minutes and White riding the pine with like 23 mins. The Celtics could not risk Smart ruining the locker room. Does anybody seriously think Smart would have accepted what was best for the team? I don’t blame Brogdon . After having to bow to someone  like that and THEN be offered in trade I dint think he owes the Celtics a lie that he was thrilled with it.
   He’s human. He was a pro when he was with us until then and accepted his role. White did too. Smart would not have. Pritchard was worse expressing displeasure he wasn’t traded after the trade deadline. I wish Brogdon well.

No, Brodgon is not a better player than Smart. He's a better scorer, but his defense isn't even comparable (and that made him a liability in the playoffs, especially against Miami.

White played 29.7 MPG in the playoffs last year, while Smart played 34. Smart wasn't playing 50% more minutes like you're implying.

I get that some people didn't like Smart, but that doesn't mean you should act like he was a bad player or a locker room problem.

Smart was our best guard in the playoffs last year too.

D White was great against ATL but he went missing in action against Philly. Completel vanishing act. Disappeared. His bad play was killing us in that series. Then D White continued to lay an egg against Miami for the first few games of that series as well (where we go down 3-1) before finishing the series in excellent form. D White was up and down like a yo-yo in those playoffs. Great early and late with a complete no-show for the middle half. And he got a complete pass for it. Then and now.

Meanwhile Smart plays his best ball in the playoffs and he continues to get hammered. Just as he did in 2022. In 2021. The guy was taking of business and he is the one that gets hammered.

agreed! (slightly biased)