Author Topic: Put Tacko on Embiid Tonight!  (Read 1970 times)

Re: Put Tacko on Embiid Tonight!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 02:02:53 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Here's an idea, deny embiid the ball better. Pressure the ball handler more, make getting him the ball more difficult.
Makes a lot of sense especially since the Sixers don't really have a PG. 

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 02:10:42 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Any idea why Timelord didn't play on Weds?  I thought he was activated.

A combination of being a bad matchup with Embiid and still not fully healthy after Covid?  Healthy enough for emergencies but not enough to be fully effective?

I believe he was going to be on a minutes (10?) restriction and Theis was playing well enough that Brad decided not to insert him at all.
Thanks.  My memory fails me.  I had thought he did well vs. the Sixers in last years' playoffs, but I went back and checked.  He got DNPs in the last 2 games as well. 

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 02:18:32 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Tacko would be as ineffective as Thompson and Theis were in the last game.  Embiid wasn't going over Thompson and Theis nearly as much as he was just going through them on offense and rebounding.  He'd just go right through Tacko too. 

as someone else mentioned, we'd be better off denying him the ball as long as possible to cut his time to make a move.  other than that, we really could use a solid body at center that Embiid can't push around (Baynes, Kanter as recent examples).  Of course, Embiid is quick enough to get around those bigger players unfortunately. 

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 02:36:15 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Absolutely. I couldn't believe CBS didn't experiment with this in the last game when Embiid was dominating our small ball centers. This is exactly the time of the season when you try things like this in order to see how well they work (or not).

I agree. I want wins as badly as anyone—in fact, it bugs me when people say that losses in January don't matter; they all matter—but since the team has a bevy of personnel issues right now (Tatum out, Kemba slowly working his way back, guys popping in and out due to covid), this is the time to experiment.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2021, 03:08:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Tacko would be as ineffective as Thompson and Theis were in the last game.  Embiid wasn't going over Thompson and Theis nearly as much as he was just going through them on offense and rebounding.  He'd just go right through Tacko too. 

as someone else mentioned, we'd be better off denying him the ball as long as possible to cut his time to make a move.  other than that, we really could use a solid body at center that Embiid can't push around (Baynes, Kanter as recent examples).  Of course, Embiid is quick enough to get around those bigger players unfortunately.

So says you. 

Open your mind. Let's experiment.  Embiid owned them on Tuesday. Put Tacko on him.  He will get better faster by real game situations, rather than in garbage time. He did quite well a few games back when we were down a few guys (Wizards game). 

If it costs us the game, I could care less.  I'm thinking long term here.