Author Topic: Celtics (8-2) at Hawks (2-8) Game #11 11/6/17  (Read 43093 times)

Re: Celtics (8-2) at Hawks (2-8) Game #11 11/6/17
« Reply #450 on: November 06, 2017, 10:11:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Good win but disappointed in lack of defensive intensity. Felt Once Briwn got 2nd early foul his defense really slipped, probably trying to avoid another early foul.

Also some of the guys refuse to swing the ball around much, and we get stuck too much in 2 man ball. Like Baynes but he is often guilty of this shortcoming.

« Reply #451 on: November 06, 2017, 10:13:35 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Where are all those loud Kyrie doubters now?

Seriously.

They're going to insist that they are right until he wins the Celtics a championship.  Stubborn.

I think they’re going to insist that Kyrie has yet to show he’s as good as IT, let alone better. Then throw in the BRK pick, Crowder, Zizic.

IT had 31 games of 30+ points last season. Kyrie has one.  He’s an exciting player, and a very good one, but that doesn’t mean we got good value.

And we all know that 30 point games are the best metric to compare players by.

Kyrie has clearly established himself as the better passer of the two, he it is already clear it is much tougher to trap Kyrie, because he can pass out instead of have to jump and get a risky pass off.

He is also a significantly better defender for us.

I absolutely love IT, but seeing Kyrie run the show makes it clear he is by far a better fit.

« Reply #452 on: November 06, 2017, 10:13:50 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Seriously.

They're going to insist that they are right until he wins the Celtics a championship.  Stubborn.

I think they’re going to insist that Kyrie has yet to show he’s as good as IT, let alone better. Then throw in the BRK pick, Crowder, Zizic.

IT had 31 games of 30+ points last season. Kyrie has one.  He’s an exciting player, and a very good one, but that doesn’t mean we got good value.

Let it go dude.

« Reply #453 on: November 06, 2017, 10:13:52 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Seriously.

Roy, you're clearly just being stubborn based on preconceived notions. Kyrie isn't being asked to score as much on this as Isaiah was last year. That said, two of the very things you questioned and harped on, defense and passing, Irving has shown to be way better than Thomas was. Agree?

« Reply #454 on: November 06, 2017, 10:15:01 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Good win but disappointed in lack of defensive intensity. Felt Once Briwn got 2nd early foul his defense really slipped, probably trying to avoid another early foul.

Also some of the guys refuse to swing the ball around much, and we get stuck too much in 2 man ball. Like Baynes but he is often guilty of this shortcoming.

Gorman said this against OKC in not so direct terms: Brown isn’t the same player on the road as he is at home. Hopefully he can grow throughout this season in that regard.

He also needs to make his layups!! He did better today in that category.

I think a lot of today’s struggle was it being the last game of a road trip coupled with ATL’s extremely hot 4th quarter shooting. If they make 2 less 3-pt shots it is a totally different game.

« Reply #455 on: November 06, 2017, 10:15:10 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Seriously.

We got a 25 year old star.  IT hasn't even played this year and may never be the same player and that was known to Ainge before the trade.  Maybe the Brooklyn pick can overall sway the trade, but we didn't lose the trade and probably won it by a lot because, again, we got a 25 year old star. 

« Reply #456 on: November 06, 2017, 10:15:49 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203

Seriously.

Lol...with all the Kyrie praise I KNEW it would just be a matter of time b4 you'd come spewing how great IT was and talking down Kyrie.  Get over it man, IT is gone! Anyone with brains would start a team with KI over IT at PG - all day, everyday!
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #457 on: November 06, 2017, 10:16:11 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

Seriously.

I do believe that Kyrie makes the players around him better - in a way that IT does not. Already we're seeing an improved Horford.  Maybe part of it is by necessity, but he and Kyrie combine like they've been playing together for multiple seasons and yet we're just 11 games in.  We've also yet to see too how the 'Brad Stevens' effect impacts both players over the long haul.

I'll be surprised if Kyrie doesn't wind up being one of the top 5 players in the league.

« Reply #458 on: November 06, 2017, 10:17:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Seriously.

Roy, you're clearly just being stubborn based on preconceived notions. Kyrie isn't being asked to score as much on this as Isaiah was last year. That said, two of the very things you questioned and harped on, defense and passing, Irving has shown to be way better than Thomas was. Agree?

Nope.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #459 on: November 06, 2017, 10:18:37 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
I can't believe Ojeleye is already this useful honestly. It seems like every three he makes is incredibly timely. Teams will have to stop leaving him open.

I don't think we are contending with GS this year, but by even next year with Brown and Tatum's development, we might and Ojeleye's development and contributions will be key as well.

« Reply #460 on: November 06, 2017, 10:19:11 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Seriously.

Nope.

Wait, you don't think Irving is a better defender and passer than Isaiah? Seriously?

« Reply #461 on: November 06, 2017, 10:19:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Seriously.

Nope.

You really don't think irvings defense this year has been better than IT's was all of last year (and the year before that)?

« Reply #462 on: November 06, 2017, 10:19:56 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
The Celtics success this year is IN SPITE of Kyrie. We are really just motivated by the memory of IT last year.

« Reply #463 on: November 06, 2017, 10:20:18 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Seriously.

Lol...with all the Kyrie praise I KNEW it would just be a matter of time b4 you'd come spewing how great IT was and talking down Kyrie.  Get over it man, IT is gone! Anyone with brains would start a team with KI over IT at PG - all day, everyday!

Yup, tp.

« Reply #464 on: November 06, 2017, 10:20:31 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

Over the course of an 82 game season you're going to get your share of clunkers.  It's impossible for any team to give max effort every night.  Just doesn't happen in any sport.  One sign of a great team is when they still win even when they don't play well.  Hawks aren't good but they're well coached, they hustled and shot the ball real well.  They'd have been a tough opponent for most NBA teams tonight on the 2nd night of a back to back on the road.