Author Topic: Larry Bird thread  (Read 5538 times)

Larry Bird thread
« on: November 22, 2019, 02:56:37 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'm sure there's already a thread dedicated to him, but I couldn't find it.

I just randomly came across this video and thought others here would enjoy it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BCFTmZNEPKU

Re: Larry Bird thread
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 03:14:20 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
TP just for making a Larry Bird thread.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 03:26:48 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
It was Bird's passing that amazed me the most.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=baBdnA7cui0

Who makes passes like that now?

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 03:48:21 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
i might get killed for this, and i've only seen him play the one time really but when dallas came to boston the other day - doncic reminded me of bird. 

its really the only time i can remember seeing a player and thinking that.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 04:07:08 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
i might get killed for this, and i've only seen him play the one time really but when dallas came to boston the other day - doncic reminded me of bird. 

I see why you say that and I've thought that too, but watch the second video I posted highlighting Bird's passing.  No one passes like that now.  He could see plays developing well ahead of anyone else.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 04:48:59 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I see why you say that and I've thought that too, but watch the second video I posted highlighting Bird's passing.  No one passes like that now.  He could see plays developing well ahead of anyone else.
that's what's always bothered me about people claim Jordon or Lebron, especially Lebron, were better than Bird.  neither of them were or are in his league as a passer.  let's not even get started on him being the superior shooter either.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 04:54:56 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
It was Bird's passing that amazed me the most.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=baBdnA7cui0

Who makes passes like that now?

Misread this as “Larry Bird Dead” and then I hear people talking about Larry Bird’s passing and I was so sad for a brief moment

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 07:19:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He's got to be up there for the most all-round basketball savant. Not necessarily the best player of all time (although, had he been healthy his whole career, I think he could have been), but when you look at his accolades it's hard to refute.

MVP, COTY and Executive of the Year. Didn't even coach 5 years too, and made Indiana more of a threat than they deserved to be time and again. Maybe Jerry West and Red can compete.

What a Legend
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 07:24:49 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Watching that Bird team while young was like nothing else. He was beyond amazing and that team was all for one and one for all. Best team playing I have ever seen since I began watching the game. A healthy Bird might have meant 2-3 more titles. The back issue was a huge bummer for sure.

His passes were awe inspiring and knack for hitting impossible big shots just as great. Players would rally around him as well.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 07:29:07 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I've said it before and will say it again - as an inner-city Black 12 YO young male Larry Bird was the sole reason I started loving The Boston Celtics, back in 1981.

Unashamedly White....Country.....plain jane....athletic...very good defensively...a pure Magician with the Basketball....not afraid to throw punches...choke...

Larry Bird was a BAAAAAAD Man............

He also had a Human side...the first person to call Magic when he was going through his own trials...

There will probably never be a rivalry quite like this in the NBA ever again.....my hopes are on Luka but he needs an enemy, eventually....right now he smiles a lot...I don't think Larry EVER smiled......

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 07:32:21 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

I've said it before and will say it again - as an inner-city Black 12 YO young male Larry Bird was the sole reason I started loving The Boston Celtics, back in 1981.

Unashamedly White....Country.....plain jane....athletic...very good defensively...a pure Magician with the Basketball....not afraid to throw punches...choke...

He also had a Human side...the first person to call Magic when he was going through his own trials...

There will probably never be a rivalry quite like this in the NBA ever again.....my hopes are on Luka but he needs an enemy, eventually....right now he smiles a lot...I don't think Larry EVER smiled......

Well said! That rivalry was like nothing I have ever witnessed between two players.

Maybe Tatum and Luka can form a love hate relationship? 😁 Fingers crossed Dallas becomes our Hate LA of the next decade.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 07:34:46 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Well said! That rivalry was like nothing I have ever witnessed between two players.

Maybe Tatum and Luka can form a love hate relationship? 😁 Fingers crossed Dallas becomes our Hate LA of the next decade.

DAL would need to trade Luka to either Lakers or BOS, which I'm sure isn't happening.

If DAL can't get it together maybe he'll leave in FA? That is 6 more years from now. I doubt he's leaving.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 03:18:03 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D