Author Topic: Lakers (5-5) at Celtics (9-2) Game #12 11/8/17  (Read 61787 times)

Re: Lakers (5-5) at Celtics (9-2) Game #12 11/8/17
« Reply #675 on: November 08, 2017, 10:46:35 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Clarkson is a much better player than Ball. The Lakers blew the game by taking him out down the stretch.
Supposedly he can't play defense but he had twice as many steals as Smart despite 8 less minutes.  And he had the same number of rebounds (so far) despite all of Smart's intensity

Pretty sure Kyrie leads the league in steals so far. By this logic, he's then clearly the best defender in the league.  ::)

Only a fool would make the implication that Clarkson is a better defender than Smart.
Let's say Clarkson is playing Smart one on one to 100. Clarkson shoots 51% and Smart shoots 31%. Quick. Who played better defense?

Clarkson shoots significantly better from 3 point land than Smart shoots overall. He's that much better.

One guy doesn't drag his team down. The other does.

Lol you sound senile bro.

Smart isn't letting Clarkson shoot 51% on him in one on one, and Smart is going to take him to the post and shoot 60%.

Quit hating on Smart, I mean come on.
I don't get it. I'm supposed to tune into a game, see the young pup Lakers giving us a game on our own court, see Smart is 1 for 8 (surprise surprise) and I'm supposed to be like "hey this is great! Let's give him a huge extension! Oh his intense defense! It's so apparent!"

I mean...wow

Who's telling you to praise his shooting?
We're being told to look past his shooting.  We shouldn't do that. It would be a little like ignoring that a QB throws for 44% or that a WR drops every 3rd pass.

Except for the little fact quarterbacks don't play defense, and Smart is an excellent passer, pick and roll handler, and all around creator. He even is subjectively a great shooter in the clutch.

I also apologize for the 'senile' comment. That wasn't appropriate.

Just don't get how anyone watches that game and feels Clarkson played better than Marcus.

« Reply #676 on: November 08, 2017, 10:47:35 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
well, just for fun, here are some interesting stats on smart's 3 point shooting.

if you include preseason, smart is 21/55, which is .382 from 3. he's also shooting .359 from 3 since the season opener.

super small sample size to be sure. i need to see a lot more to be convinced he can do it consistently, but, just thinking positive for now.

He looks to be shooting the 3 at an alright rate, it's his 2 point shooting that is bad.

« Reply #677 on: November 08, 2017, 10:48:29 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
well, just for fun, here are some interesting stats on smart's 3 point shooting.

if you include preseason, smart is 21/55, which is .382 from 3. he's also shooting .359 from 3 since the season opener.

super small sample size to be sure. i need to see a lot more to be convinced he can do it consistently, but, just thinking positive for now.

He looks to be shooting the 3 at an alright rate, it's his 2 point shooting that is bad.
"bad"?? ha, you are much too kind.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #678 on: November 08, 2017, 10:48:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

"bad"?? ha, you are much too kind.  ;D

Thank you...

« Reply #679 on: November 08, 2017, 10:48:57 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Clarkson is a much better player than Ball. The Lakers blew the game by taking him out down the stretch.
Supposedly he can't play defense but he had twice as many steals as Smart despite 8 less minutes.  And he had the same number of rebounds (so far) despite all of Smart's intensity

Pretty sure Kyrie leads the league in steals so far. By this logic, he's then clearly the best defender in the league.  ::)

Only a fool would make the implication that Clarkson is a better defender than Smart.
Let's say Clarkson is playing Smart one on one to 100. Clarkson shoots 51% and Smart shoots 31%. Quick. Who played better defense?

Clarkson shoots significantly better from 3 point land than Smart shoots overall. He's that much better.

Smart isn't letting Clarkson shoot 51% on him in one on one, and Smart is going to take him to the post and shoot 60%.

I don't get it. I'm supposed to tune into a game, see the young pup Lakers giving us a game on our own court, see Smart is 1 for 8 (surprise surprise) and I'm supposed to be like "hey this is great! Let's give him a huge extension! Oh his intense defense! It's so apparent!"

I mean...wow

We're being told to look past his shooting.  We shouldn't do that. It would be a little like ignoring that a QB throws for 44% or that a WR drops every 3rd pass or that a pitcher throws a wild pitch every single game.

This is a bad comparison. 

Smart can't score but is above average at every other aspect of the game.  You're conveniently leaving that part out of your analogies. 

I'm not a big Smart fan, but you do have to be honest and look at the entire picture. 

« Reply #680 on: November 08, 2017, 10:50:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Clarkson played pretty well after a rough start. Randle was the main thing that got them going though. Really pressured the C's with him at C.

« Reply #681 on: November 08, 2017, 10:50:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I mean...wow

We're being told to look past his shooting.  We shouldn't do that. It would be a little like ignoring that a QB throws for 44% or that a WR drops every 3rd pass.

Except for the little fact quarterbacks don't play defense, and Smart is an excellent passer, pick and roll handler, and all around creator. He even is subjectively a great shooter in the clutch.

I also apologize for the 'senile' comment. That wasn't appropriate.

Just don't get how anyone watches that game and feels Clarkson played better than Marcus.
There are other people that can pass well and play defense. And for less money and without shooting us almost out of a game, thereby requiring 4th quarter heroics.

He isn't Jason Kidd or something that does everything at an elite level, thereby making up for his really poor offense.

« Reply #682 on: November 08, 2017, 10:50:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Tatum reportedly is in a walking boot, and getting imaging tests tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/Marc_DAmico/status/928466336828837895

« Reply #683 on: November 08, 2017, 10:51:04 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

I mean...wow

Maybe if you watched the game you'd know what the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. you're talking about. After all, if you're tuning in that late in the contest you really don't have a clue, do you?
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #684 on: November 08, 2017, 10:51:32 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

cripes. not the news i wanted to hear, but thanks for posting it. sigh.  :-[
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #685 on: November 08, 2017, 10:52:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I mean...wow

We're being told to look past his shooting.  We shouldn't do that. It would be a little like ignoring that a QB throws for 44% or that a WR drops every 3rd pass or that a pitcher throws a wild pitch every single game.

This is a bad comparison. 

Smart can't score but is above average at every other aspect of the game.  You're conveniently leaving that part out of your analogies. 

I'm not a big Smart fan, but you do have to be honest and look at the entire picture.
He's Tony Allen if Tony were a terrible offensive player.
In my QB example, I suppose if the QB were also a good kicker and a pro bowl level LB then you'd sorta have what some people think of as Marcus Smart.

But if that were actually the case you'd just get a QB/LB that could do both. Instead of one. You wouldn't throw money this hypothetical QB that can play great defense but can't throw.

« Reply #686 on: November 08, 2017, 10:53:48 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Great win for the Celtics.  Can we say 10 wins in a row?!  ;D

Hope it's nothing serious for Tatum.

But I always enjoy beating the purple and gold!!

« Reply #687 on: November 08, 2017, 10:53:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

NO!

( falls to floor screaming!)

« Reply #688 on: November 08, 2017, 10:54:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

cripes. not the news i wanted to hear, but thanks for posting it. sigh.  :-[

Should be noted that it's considered precautionary for now. Seems like X-rays came back fine tonight, and he's scheduled for MRI tomorrow.

« Reply #689 on: November 08, 2017, 10:54:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I mean...wow

Maybe if you watched the game you'd know what the **** you're talking about. After all, if you're tuning in that late in the contest you really don't have a clue, do you?
Well yeah, but then I'd have to also forget all the many many many other games where Smart dragged down the offense. I mean he couldn't win a game of horse against Mr. Ed.

Mr Ed would be like "Wiiiilllbbuuurr. I'm playing a game of horse against Marcus Smart. And I'm winning. He's gonna owe me a pizza Willlbbuurr."