Author Topic: Celtics Back of the Jersey Messages  (Read 9349 times)

Re: Celtics Back of the Jersey Messages
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2020, 10:43:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Stupid.  I wish everybody had followed LeBron’s lead on this. Trite wording on the back of a jersey means nothing. If the players care, they should use their massive platforms and millions of dollars to affect real change.

They can do both.

Do the jersey messages really mean anything to anybody? Particularly when they are a product of peer pressure?

If they did not before, they do now. With Hayward sending a shot across the bow. We are not idiots, we know exactly what he is doing.
Absolute and utter nonsense. You’re inventing a dog whistle where there is none.

What’s Hayward doing exactly? Sorry, what are Hayward, the Morris twins, DeRozan, McCollum, Bazemore and more doing??

No, I am not. I have my opinion, you have yours. Hayward is white his minority team mates are fighting for racial justice in America. They need support and solidarity from their white teammate. His failure to express that solidarity speals volumes. And no, printing all the black players that picked education reform does not excuse Hayward's failure to step up to the real issue. Send me a link to anywhere that Hayward as said Black Lives Matter if you can. I bet all those black players you losted believe black lives matter. Do you know where Hayward stands?

Your opinion is that white + married to a Trump supporter = racist.

All of the messages were selected by the PA as being in solidarity with social justice.

NO, ..you are not racist simply because you are white and married to a Trump supporter. However when given a public platform to express solidarity with your teammates that are involved in a struggle for emancipation and you demur I am not going to act like that did not just happen. He could have done what he did for whatever reason, but it is telling to me that he had a chance to step up, but did not. Again, please link me anywhere that Gordon has expressed solidarity with those fighting for the end to  systemic racism. I am willing to be educated.

Again, you’ve spent hundreds of words previously telling us that celebrity opinions don’t matter, correct?

After George Floyd was murdered by white police officer Derek Chauvin on May 25 in Minneapolis, Hayward wrote on Twitter that "we cannot grow as a society until we eliminate all forms of racism against any race."

He also joined his Celtics teammates in posting a blackout Twitter profile photo on June 2.

Celebrities do not acquire special knowledge on all topics just because they are celebrities.

Gordon is consistent....... thanks for posting his talking about all races when the issue at hand is the subjugation and police brutality against blacks. Thanks shedding light on the issue.

Yes, because speaking out against racism is now a sign that you’re racist.

I’m just puzzled.  You defend / deflect criticism from the anti-semites, but criticize the guy calling for an end to all racism.

Here’s his full statement, which he has pinned on Twitter:

What happened to George Floyd is unacceptable and disgusting beyond words . What the officer did should be punished to the fullest extent. How in the world can someone like this be hired to serve and protect us! Praying for George Floyd's family and for all ppl impacted by

this and police brutality. We cannot grow as a society until we eliminate all forms of racism against any race. Our focus every day should be on supporting each other and showing love for each other. Destroying people's hard work and dreams by burning down their businesses

not the solution. We need to protect each other, not tear each other apart. We need change and we need to do it together!
L

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2020, 11:10:04 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Stupid.  I wish everybody had followed LeBron’s lead on this. Trite wording on the back of a jersey means nothing. If the players care, they should use their massive platforms and millions of dollars to affect real change.

They can do both.

Do the jersey messages really mean anything to anybody? Particularly when they are a product of peer pressure?

If they did not before, they do now. With Hayward sending a shot across the bow. We are not idiots, we know exactly what he is doing.
Absolute and utter nonsense. You’re inventing a dog whistle where there is none.

What’s Hayward doing exactly? Sorry, what are Hayward, the Morris twins, DeRozan, McCollum, Bazemore and more doing??

No, I am not. I have my opinion, you have yours. Hayward is white his minority team mates are fighting for racial justice in America. They need support and solidarity from their white teammate. His failure to express that solidarity speals volumes. And no, printing all the black players that picked education reform does not excuse Hayward's failure to step up to the real issue. Send me a link to anywhere that Hayward as said Black Lives Matter if you can. I bet all those black players you losted believe black lives matter. Do you know where Hayward stands?

All of the messages were selected by the PA as being in solidarity with social justice.

NO, ..you are not racist simply because you are white and married to a Trump supporter. However when given a public platform to express solidarity with your teammates that are involved in a struggle for emancipation and you demur I am not going to act like that did not just happen. He could have done what he did for whatever reason, but it is telling to me that he had a chance to step up, but did not. Again, please link me anywhere that Gordon has expressed solidarity with those fighting for the end to  systemic racism. I am willing to be educated.

Again, you’ve spent hundreds of words previously telling us that celebrity opinions don’t matter, correct?

After George Floyd was murdered by white police officer Derek Chauvin on May 25 in Minneapolis, Hayward wrote on Twitter that "we cannot grow as a society until we eliminate all forms of racism against any race."

He also joined his Celtics teammates in posting a blackout Twitter profile photo on June 2.

Celebrities do not acquire special knowledge on all topics just because they are celebrities.

Gordon is consistent....... thanks for posting his talking about all races when the issue at hand is the subjugation and police brutality against blacks. Thanks shedding light on the issue.

I’m just puzzled.  You defend / deflect criticism from the anti-semites, but criticize the guy calling for an end to all racism.

What happened to George Floyd is unacceptable and disgusting beyond words . What the officer did should be punished to the fullest extent. How in the world can someone like this be hired to serve and protect us! Praying for George Floyd's family and for all ppl impacted by

this and police brutality. We cannot grow as a society until we eliminate all forms of racism against any race. Our focus every day should be on supporting each other and showing love for each other. Destroying people's hard work and dreams by burning down their businesses

not the solution. We need to protect each other, not tear each other apart. We need change and we need to do it together!
L

I did not defend DeSean Jackson I expressed my opposition to those that elevated his stature just because he is a celebrity. How is that defending him? The more you post about Gordon the more it shows that he is avoiding the hot subject of Black Lives Matter.

« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2020, 11:38:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

They can do both.

L

I did not defend DeSean Jackson I expressed my opposition to those that elevated his stature just because he is a celebrity. How is that defending him? The more you post about Gordon the more it shows that he is avoiding the hot subject of Black Lives Matter.
You might hurt yourself reaching that far
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2020, 01:28:55 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
A reminder of the list:

The list of the suggested social messages that were agreed upon by the NBPA and the NBA and then made available to players via email, per the source, are: Black Lives Matter; Say Their Names; Vote; I Can't Breathe; Justice; Peace; Equality; Freedom; Enough; Power to the People; Justice Now; Say Her Name; Sí Se Puede (Yes We Can); Liberation; See Us; Hear Us; Respect Us; Love Us; Listen; Listen to Us; Stand Up; Ally; Anti-Racist; I Am A Man; Speak Up; How Many More; Group Economics; Education Reform; and Mentor.

I think most of these would have gone over poorly had Hayward chosen them (or if he opted out of a message), definitely puts him in a tougher spot compared to most of the league:

• Black Lives Matter - okay
  • Say Their Names - okay
  • Vote - vote for Trump, like your wife did?  Racist.
  • I Can't Breathe - okay
  • Justice - okay
  • Peace - typical privileged white person.  "Why all the protests?  Can't everyone just calm down and we all just have peace again?"
  • Equality - okay
  • Freedom - okay
  • Enough - enough of what? Enough protests? Enough outrage? Enough asking you to defend BLM and denounce Trump?
  • Power to the People - power to what people? Whites?  Why not just wave a Nazi flag while wearing a hood while you're at it.
  • Justice Now - okay
  • Say Her Name - probably okay but people would probably still twist it.  He put say her name cuz he's whipped by Robyn.  She voted for Trump!
  • Sí Se Puede (Yes We Can) - way to culturally appropriate Gordon.
  • Liberation - okay
  • See Us - "us"? Anything with "us" would not go well.  Who's "us" white boy?
  • Hear Us - can't touch it
  • Respect Us - can't touch it
  • Love Us - can't touch it
  • Listen - listen to you?  Listen to Trump?  Will privileged white people ever stop telling other people to listen to them so they can solve all our problems?
  • Listen to Us - can't touch it
  • Stand Up - well we know he won't be kneeling for the anthem.
  • Ally - how are you an ally?  That's what a racist would say.  Without showing us it means nothing!  "When you riot, please don't burn down my house, I'm an ally!"
  • Anti-Racist - this sounds exactly like something a racist would say.  Might as well have put "I'm not racist, I have black friends" on there.
  • I Am A Man - a white man.  No one has ever questioned a white man's place.  How tone deaf.
  • Speak Up - okay
  • How Many More - okay
  • Group Economics - this is one of the most whitest, most Republican answers you can give.  He's probably one of those guys pushing to open the economy and schools and expose everybody to coronavirus while his daughters go to virtual private school.  "And make sure you support white business ya'll, and follow me on Twitch."
  • Education Reform - well we already see how well this went over.
  • Mentor - who are you mentoring?  Other whites or blacks?  Do blacks need a mentor like you?  Oh thank you white savior.  This is like the people whose church groups raise money so they can fly to Africa for a week to take pictures with locals and act like they're doing all this good when that money could have been much better spent elsewhere.

While I like the ideas of messages on jerseys, I could see the PR nightmare for this coming a mile away for guys like Gordon if they chose anything other than a very pro-BLM type message.  Heck even when they announced this, people on Reddit and Twitter were joking saying Gordon would choose All Lives Matter (example)

Nothing wrong with his message (especially if he follows up with an elegant blog post about why he chose it, which knowing Hayward, we might see in the near future), but definitely not surprised by a loud contingent thinking it was a poor choice.  If I was advising Gordon, I would have definitely strongly advised against picking that for the reasons we're seeing now (and I would also tell him not to announce 2 months ahead of time he's leaving the bubble as he may have just opened an unnecessary can of worms, like if he gets injured, the C's get knocked out early, the C's have a long break due to a sweep, the bubble gets shut down or paused due to an outbreak, etc., well now you just made a lot of people question your commitment for no reason). It could have definitely been even worse though if he chose another message or opted out of a message altogether.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 01:34:56 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2020, 08:41:35 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
It's odd to me that Hayward's skin color is the impetus for all this discussion, though. He's literally being judged differently based on the color of his skin. And if you want to say "you can't be racist against a white man because of power structure", ask yourself if Hayward is really in a position of power here or in a delicate position relative to the majority of his peers.

I also object to people saying that his message is ok as long as he explains that it means what they want it to mean. There's an assumed moral superiority to certain political statements over others, which is an attitude that may belong in religion, but not in mainstream politics.

« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2020, 09:29:56 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
It's odd to me that Hayward's skin color is the impetus for all this discussion, though. He's literally being judged differently based on the color of his skin. And if you want to say "you can't be racist against a white man because of power structure", ask yourself if Hayward is really in a position of power here or in a delicate position relative to the majority of his peers.

I also object to people saying that his message is ok as long as he explains that it means what they want it to mean. There's an assumed moral superiority to certain political statements over others, which is an attitude that may belong in religion, but not in mainstream politics.

Agreed.  I think it ironic that its ok to be critical of all-things Hayward because he's White.  Racism is racism.  All colors can be racist and most are. 

« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2020, 10:52:55 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Holy s#it!! You're right - because Gordon is outnumbered by black people in the league and having his decisions monitored by bored forum-nerds he MUST be the VICTIM of racism.

Got it.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2020, 11:01:23 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Holy s#it!! You're right - because Gordon is outnumbered by black people in the league and having his decisions monitored by bored forum-nerds he MUST be the VICTIM of racism.

Got it.

Is that what I said?

Seems like you've mistakenly used empty sarcasm in place of any salient point. Didn't even dispute my statement or critique my path to conclusion. Just exaggerated what you assume is my larger intention to make it seem unreasonable. That won't work with me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 11:07:00 AM by gift »

« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2020, 12:43:42 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
So many viewpoints since I last posted on page 1 or so...I've read just about every post since then.

From my "initial" post early I can say that Gordon Hayward's label IS NEEDED....whether or not we need to go as far as the vaunted (and controversial) 1619 Project can be discussed ad infinitum but there DOES NEED to be reform in Education....needs to be balanced.

Needs to be MORE ACCESSIBLE to EVERYONE....not just the folks in the suburbs....

I've stated before on here - I learned more about my history as it pertains to being Black or African American in this country from my SHIPMATES in the Navy AND my Church....

Is this a good thing? Probably not....my education in the Public School System SHOULD HAVE been a SPRINGBOARD to deeper understanding....but it wasn't. I left high school feeling ready for the world....but in retrospect it could have...should have? been better.....

As for the Hayward's choice of Presidential Candidates? In 2016? I fault neither he nor his wife for their choice. We don't even know "IF" he STILL supports Trump....whether or not this IS his right....

Gordon Hayward's chops have been EARNED in the NBA...with the mostly Black teammates he's had in Utah AND in BOS....NO record of dissent or bad words about him.

GH was reportedly on Kyrie Irving's shortlist to play with....was on Paul George's as well. I bet it STILL is.....

Dude suffered a GRUESOME injury...before it was a bonafide All-Star. He is AGAIN approaching that level, thankfully.

I've met a FEW Trump supporters...one old White man near 80 would come up in my place of work and talk to me so respectfully...kind of reminded me of an Uncle.....but he had an unwavering support of Trump. He knew I supported Obama as well....knew I voted for Hillary.

Dude ALWAYS was respectful to me even though we disagreed. Loved that dude. Mr. Frank.

I don't fault GH and his wife for their political choice. Every Trump supporter is NOT racist.

I fully support GH's jersey choice of Education Reform. It is needed. They deserve their privacy of political choice.

I sincerely hope Gordon Hayward is in Boston a LONG time. The team is simply better with him.

« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2020, 01:04:24 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Reading through this thread is proof to me that this country and society in general today is just broken beyond repair

Let’s scream about how racism needs to end while we micro analyze why the white player may have made his choice from a preapproved list of slogans and how that may or may not make him racist.....and ohh and there’s not a problem reacting this way because Twitter said it was ok

Sheesh
Greg

« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2020, 01:46:13 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I was wondering something, are they even locked into to sticking to one message? Like they have a bunch of jerseys can't a guy have a different message every quarter if he wanted?

« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2020, 01:56:39 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I was wondering something, are they even locked into to sticking to one message? Like they have a bunch of jerseys can't a guy have a different message every quarter if he wanted?

They have these hi-tech LED hats now, maybe they can work these into the shirts?

Yup

« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2020, 02:10:43 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This is such a great thread.

Hayward, a white man, picks a Message to wear on his jersey, and people give their opinions on his choice. The OUTRAGE!!

I hope the irony is not missed that this is all in the context of a social justice movement with a 'are you with us or not' implication.

The social justice fight by a people who are judged everyday negatively NOT because of choices they have made but because of the COLOR they were born with.

Pretty interesting..... learning moment.  Hayward is 'experiencing' based on a choice he made, a miniscule of what black people experience based on the color of their skin. He is getting some scrutiny on social media (he probably does not even know about it) black people get denied housing, loans, get pulled over, get beat up, not because of their choices, but the color of their skin. Spare the outrage, please.

« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2020, 02:13:31 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
This whole affair was one big, unforced error by Adam Silver and the NBAPA.

The optics of guys on the same team having different messages is odd at best. And as we can see in this thread, it hasn't exactly created a feeling of unity.

The league already has "BLM" on the court and should have left it at that.

« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2020, 02:14:43 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This thread is just too funny.  Like, I want to add some serious commentary, but the whole premise being debated here is just so farcical I can't stop laughing long enough to summon a serious reply.

I feel like I'm watching a daytime soap opera.  Let's call it, "As the World Burns".  At this point, I'm rooting for the fire to win.