Author Topic: Would you take Romeo Langford if he fell to us?  (Read 2440 times)

Would you take Romeo Langford if he fell to us?
« on: May 22, 2019, 04:17:31 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Langford was considered a lock as a top 5 pick before the season began, but struggled mightily shooting the ball. Would you take a chance on him given his big upside?

I think I would. Despite his flaws, I think he’s still a top 3-5 scorer in this years class, and will probably be the best player available if he falls to the Celtics at 14. Keep in mind that guys like Khris Middleton and Buddy Hield struggled to shoot the ball early on in their collegian careers, a good indicator that Langford’s jumper is far from a finished product.

Right now he’s drawing comparisons to Evan Turner, who happened to flourish in Brad Stevens system. Personally, I see his speed and natural scoring ability as far superior to Turners. I’d say he reminds me more of Tyreke Evans with a higher ceiling.

Re: Would you take Romeo Langford if he fell to us?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 04:18:35 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
He appears to be in the general vicinity of our first pick so sure, why not?

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 04:31:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Certainly sounds like an Ainge pick.  Physical tools and confidence are there, jumpshot isn't, highly regarded talent that didn't quite live up to the hype in one year of college.

Yep, that's a good guess for an Ainge pick.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 04:36:57 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I wouldn't take him at 14. No. He struggled too much this season, especially down the stretch. Very inconsistent. I was following him a bit but his team kind of sucked so it was hard to watch them play. I didn't see any Evan Turner in his game tho. He showed well in some games so he could turn out to be a player. He doesn't have obvious weaknesses or limitations. He can even play some D.
I think there will be a better option at 14. Later on (ahem, 22), sure, why not. But I think he's another player that should've stayed in school and improve his stock.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 04:50:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If the Celtics keep the pick, he may be the BPA at 14. But, if the C's keep the pick, that most likely means no AD trade. And if there is no AD trade that means the Celtics still have Tatum, Brown, Hayward and Smart who all play minutes at the 2 and 3, where Langford would need to play. He would be tremendously redundant.

Given that the difference in talent and quality of prospect at 14 won't be a whole bunch between the BPA and Best Big Available(BPA might equal BBA), I might go with the BBA.

For that reason, I would put Hayes, Hachimura, Fernando, Bol or Doumbouya in front of Langford and pick from one of them, if available at 14.

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 05:28:50 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

For that reason, I would put Hayes, Hachimura, Fernando, Bol or Doumbouya in front of Langford and pick from one of them, if available at 14.
Even if they believe Langford was a definitively better prospect than any of those guys? I don't agree with that at all.

One or more of those guys might get traded or hurt. Unless you're trying to win a title this year, you have to take who you think is the best long term player, IMO.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 05:36:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Even if they believe Langford was a definitively better prospect than any of those guys? I don't agree with that at all.

One or more of those guys might get traded or hurt. Unless you're trying to win a title this year, you have to take who you think is the best long term player, IMO.
You are ignoring and conveniently erased what I wrote above. My assumption and feeling is there may not be that big a difference between Langford, as a possible BPA and the Best Big Available, so choose the big.

Now if Danny feels Langford is way more talented and a much better prospect than the available bigs, then yeah, take Langford. You figure stuff out later. But if he clearly isn't head and shoulders above the BBA, then take the big.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 05:56:41 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
If available there's another projected top 5 guy who fell that I'd take at 14... Nassir Little. However, if Langford is there at 20 or 22 I like the risk.

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 06:01:45 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Yes. I believe the hand injury is the root of his shooting troubles.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 07:24:58 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
14 isn't bad but I want a PF or C. Maybe a PG for insurance of Irving leaving.

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 07:27:01 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Langford was considered a lock as a top 5 pick before the season began, but struggled mightily shooting the ball. Would you take a chance on him given his big upside?

I think I would. Despite his flaws, I think he’s still a top 3-5 scorer in this years class, and will probably be the best player available if he falls to the Celtics at 14. Keep in mind that guys like Khris Middleton and Buddy Hield struggled to shoot the ball early on in their collegian careers, a good indicator that Langford’s jumper is far from a finished product.

Right now he’s drawing comparisons to Evan Turner, who happened to flourish in Brad Stevens system. Personally, I see his speed and natural scoring ability as far superior to Turners. I’d say he reminds me more of Tyreke Evans with a higher ceiling.

I’d hope someone else was extremely high on him so we could trade it

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 07:27:40 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Plus it’s really hard to answer these questions because I have 0 idea what our roster is going to look like.

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 07:32:04 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
If the Celtics keep the pick, he may be the BPA at 14. But, if the C's keep the pick, that most likely means no AD trade. And if there is no AD trade that means the Celtics still have Tatum, Brown, Hayward and Smart who all play minutes at the 2 and 3, where Langford would need to play. He would be tremendously redundant.

Given that the difference in talent and quality of prospect at 14 won't be a whole bunch between the BPA and Best Big Available(BPA might equal BBA), I might go with the BBA.

i see your point on minutes for langford. however, ainge drafts for bpa and not roster need. even if you have a glut at one position, always pick the best player. trades can happen.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 08:12:47 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

i see your point on minutes for langford. however, ainge drafts for bpa and not roster need. even if you have a glut at one position, always pick the best player. trades can happen.

100%. It wasn't too long ago that people were saying Danny shouldn't take a PF because we had Sully and KO, and look how that worked out
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 08:25:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I agree if the difference between BPA and someone selected for position is significant. But let's say the Celtics use a 1 to 10 rating on prospects and when #14 comes they have Langford at a 6.1 but Fernando is available and they have him at 5.9 or 6.0. In that case, I see no reason to bring in the redundant BPA, as the big, which is needed, would be expected by the team to only be the very slightest bit lesser of a prospect.