Author Topic: Poker questions?  (Read 8395 times)

Re: Poker questions?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 08:23:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Anyone watch the Final table of the Main Event the other night?  The final table is usually a big let down, but that was actually pretty excellent.
Yup

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 08:27:45 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Anyone watch the Final table of the Main Event the other night?  The final table is usually a big let down, but that was actually pretty excellent.

i read about it
hope my last table (starting in 20 minutes) be as exiting I am bored and tired
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 08:34:42 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
well poker time...nighty nighty

Nice to be back!

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 11:04:11 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Yeah, the winner got extremely lucky there.  Among the final three, I'd say he was the worst player, but he's the one who won.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 12:19:36 AM »

Offline green tea

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8

Yeah, the winner got extremely lucky there.  Among the final three, I'd say he was the worst player, but he's the one who won.

Joe Cada got lucky before he got into the final 2.  But once they were heads up, he was clearly the better player.

Both Cada and Moon got extremely lucky.  But to make it that deep in a field of over 6000, you have to have more than a few lucky breaks.

I was actually pretty impressed with Cada's play.  Moon, on the other hand, was pretty readable.  He was overly aggressive almost every time.  Then he tried to get cute and pretend to slow play a hand, only to overbet on the turn.  Cada DID make a very good read; he sensed that Moon was overplaying his hand.

Moon also made a lot of Donk bets. 

Cada is definitely the superior heads up player.  But give Moon credit.  Most of the time, his expressions are pretty tough to read.  And he's so unorthodox, that he's probably very tough to play against.

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 12:18:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So anyone know if Edgar won enough money to send us all some good, freshly grown El Salvadorian coffee for all that great free advice he got?

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 12:30:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Joe Cada got lucky before he got into the final 2.  But once they were heads up, he was clearly the better player.

Both Cada and Moon got extremely lucky.  But to make it that deep in a field of over 6000, you have to have more than a few lucky breaks.

I was actually pretty impressed with Cada's play.  Moon, on the other hand, was pretty readable.  He was overly aggressive almost every time.  Then he tried to get cute and pretend to slow play a hand, only to overbet on the turn.  Cada DID make a very good read; he sensed that Moon was overplaying his hand.

Moon also made a lot of Donk bets. 

Cada is definitely the superior heads up player.  But give Moon credit.  Most of the time, his expressions are pretty tough to read.  And he's so unorthodox, that he's probably very tough to play against.

That was my take - Cada sucked out repeatedly to make the final 2, but was the superior player headsup.  That all-in call against Moon's straight draw was a very tough play in that situation.

It seemed like Moon had a clear strategy at the FT to frequently push players all-in, which actually makes some sense - if you don't think you're good enough to outplay guys, make them make a decision for all their chips, and even if they call, luck will still play a big role in who wins.  It's actually tougher to play against a bad or mediocre poker player than a decent one, because better players are often more predictable and readable. That was Moon's big advantage headsup - he played very erratically and was hard to read. 

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
So anyone know if Edgar won enough money to send us all some good, freshly grown El Salvadorian coffee for all that great free advice he got?

10 dollars  :P ahh and a bottle of rum

half of the night straight poker
next half a Salvadorean black Jack.

Not a bad night only a slow one

I score the only two pokers of the night 4s and 6s
and AA in 21 twice. ( that pays triple here)

Nice to be back!

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 07:22:41 PM »

Offline green tea

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8

10 dollars  :P ahh and a bottle of rum

half of the night straight poker
next half a Salvadorean black Jack.

Not a bad night only a slow one

I score the only two pokers of the night 4s and 6s
and AA in 21 twice. ( that pays triple here)

Cool! 

I'm not familiar with Salvadorean BJ, but it sounds like fun. 

Now go read those books, start playing holdem, and then let us know how things go!