Poll

What percentage of the audience will the Sports Hub take?

30%
9 (31%)
40%
2 (6.9%)
50%
8 (27.6%)
60%
3 (10.3%)
70%
7 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Sports Hub 98.5 FM VS. WEEI 850 AM  (Read 27436 times)

Re: The Sports Hub 98.5 FM VS. WEEI 850 AM
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2010, 01:35:21 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am actually starting to come around a bit on the Sports Hub's morning show.  They still annoy me a bit, but they seem to be getting better about not driving their bits into the ground, and seem to be figuring out the sports talk thing a little more.  They no longer sound as much like cheap Howard Stern ripoffs, pretending they know something about sports.  

As for Pete Sheppard, I am not sure he would really be the right pickup for them.  It might stick it to WEEI a bit, but I think it would hurt them with their listeners.  I think most people who listen to 98.5 do it because they are sick of the "yell over the callers" persona of WEEI, and Sheppard is one of the biggest offenders.  

I think they have a couple very strong shows right now with Felger and Mazz (my favorite show...they balance the over the top opinions with rational discussions better than anyone), and Zolak and Gresch (two excellent football guys...although I have no interest in hearing them talk about anything else).  And the morningshow is decent enough to get people to listen to it when they don't want to hear about those "dingbat left wingers".  No need to rock the boat by bringing in such a big personality like Sheppard, just to needle the competition.

Toucher and Rich CARRY that station Chris. Look at the ratings. Zo and Gresh do nothing with the lead in either, it's terrible. That show is obnoxious, and it stars 2 generally unlikeable guys. They will be gone soon.

They are not sports guys, but Rich is the most talented guy on that station. Great show to wake up to.

Well, I think Toucher and Rich have two things going for them.  First, they already had a non-sports-radio audience that they were able to bring along with them.  So that helped them a lot to already have a base of listeners that is in addition to the regular sports radion listeners.

Second, and more important IMO, is that they are going against the most divisive "sports" show on the radio.  I think there were a ton of people who were sick of Dennis and Callahan, but had nothing else to turn to (even when ESPN was here, they played a national syndicated show in that time, which does not work for most Boston sports fans).  So when a new sports radio station showed up, that actually talks sports rather than politics in the morning, they got the largest influx of listeners of all of the shows.

I think Dale and Holley kept most of their listeners (and rightfully so), and the Big show did as well (for some reason people love that show...and hate Felger), but the morning slot was ready to shift.

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2010, 01:50:47 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
My day as a radio listener...

7 - 10: Jim and Margery (96.9)

10 - 2: Dale and Holley

2 - 5.50: Music

5.50 - 6 or so: The Big Show Whiner Line

6 - 10: Michelle McPhee (96.9)... But not if she is talking like an idiot, her show is good 50% of the time. If it's bad then I turn the dial to a music station or throw in a CD.

I'm not a fan of anything on the Sport's Hub to be completely honest.

I have changed over time... I still listen to Jm and Margery if I'm awake.
I have started listening to Toucher and Rich and they are very entertaining.
I switch it up between those 2 shows.
Dennis and Calahan will never be on in my car again THANK GOD!

Then I'll listen to Dale and Holley... if it's one of those days that one of them isn't there (It needs to be both of them together to be a perfect show), then I'll listen to Gresch and Zo who are good just not quite as good as Dale and Holley.

Then I listen to Felger and Mazz, I absolutely love that show and I would now rank it as 1B with Dale and Holley being 1A. I have given up on The Big Show completely... even the whiner line. It was difficult to do because I've been listening to the Big Show with my dad for years, but now my I'm starting to regain my hearing (My dad switched over completely, he doesn't even listen to Dale and Holley anymore).

Then it's Michelle McPhee if she isn't talking about politics because she is a political idiot. If she is talking about politics it's music all night.

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2010, 02:02:30 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
I haven't listened to WEEI since last November and I feel better for it.

Long live the Hub, although I am not a Shep fan.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2010, 02:02:52 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I listen to T&R from 6:30-10.  I can't stand Gresch so I never listen to the 10-2 slot there.

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2010, 02:13:58 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
I never listen to WEEI anymore unless I need to listen to the Celtics in the car.

The Big Show is terrible radio, just absolutely uninteresting. At least Dennis and Callahan is interesting, but like much of talk radio they've decided that the best way to be interesting is to elicit anger from the audience.

Maybe Toucher and Rich don't know as much about sports, but at least they put me in a good mood. And if they beat their bits into the ground, I prefer that to D & C doing the same thing with their manufactured controversies. I have to say that the quality of my life has greatly improved since Dennis and Callahan are no longer in it.

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2010, 04:15:23 PM »

Offline muddy02

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8

Agreed for the most part.  I don't listen from 6-10 because I can't stand D&C and can't stand the morning show on 98.5 either.  They don't even talk sports and D&C are too political for me.  So I listen to Dale and Holley and then Felger and Mazz in the afternoon.  I love Felger and Mazz.  But as far as Peter Gammons on WEEI -- who cares?  When was the last time Gammons was right about anything?

Gammons has lost a bit off his fastball, but he is still one of the most knowledgable baseball guys out there.  He has a TON of connections, and he is just entertaining to listen to.

Peter Gammons is appointment listening.

For me, when he's talking, i'm always listening.  He's the kinda guy who can talk about anything and make it interested.  I hate when he has to read off a teleprompter.  He's like your grandfather telling you a WW2 story or something, i HAVE to listen, he's so wise.