Author Topic: How does Celticsblog benefit from being part of SB Nation?  (Read 11425 times)

How does Celticsblog benefit from being part of SB Nation?
« on: September 25, 2012, 04:15:53 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
So I know a lot of people are upset with the recent changes to the look and layout of the site, and it’s understandable if for nothing other than people don’t like change, and most probably didn’t feel anything was broke to begin with.  I understand these changes are mandated by SB Nation, so there’s really nothing Jeff can do.  That got me to thinking about Celticsblog association with SB Nation.

To me, I see the SB Nation reaching out to Jeff, inviting him to be part of a larger sports blog network with goals to rival places like ESPN, Yahoo, etc, along with promises of more unique visitors, more ad revenue, and less work for CB staff.  Maybe it didn’t happen like that, but that’s how I picture it.  At the very least there had to be some perceived benefit of joining SB Nation.

It’s been a couple of years now at least since this blog became part of SB Nation, hasn’t it?  Has Celticsblog really benefited and if so how? Has SB Nation delivered on all their promises?  Any problems arise from working with them (perhaps unpopular, forced layout changes being one of them)?

Not that I expect hard numbers to be given, but can you say things like ad revenue has improved 300% since, CB averages 50% more new registered users a month, 150% increase in page views, 2 less hours a day working on the site, 80% drop in expenses, we appear earlier in search engines, etc.?  We've had a few ticket give aways, is that due to being part of SB Nation? And any answers that are given, are we certain any increases come from SB Nation and not just the team being better as well as the cultural shift to blogging/internet?

Not a slam against CB being part of SB Nation, just curious.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: How does Celticsblog benefit from being part of SB Nation?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 04:27:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Woah woah woah. I did not realize there are politics involved here. I'm like Han Solo. I only look at princesses and money. And sometimes wookies. Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 05:24:56 PM »

Offline WaltonsIllegitimateSon

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I'm no official voice for anything, but I think the SBNation change happened on October 28, 2008, a few months after the championship.  I can't of course speak to the idea that there is or is not a huge benefit to the blog for being on SBNation, but I would wonder if Jeff et al can actually leave.  Who knows what their contract says.  Did they sell the name to SBNation as part of the deal?

And all this is assuming the moderators of this blog and forum are opposed to the changes in the first place.  And would they be able to fully voice their own disapproval if they WERE?

I personally did not like the change to SBNation (though I liked the layout changes to the blog itself) because I prefer a small town to a big city, but it's easy to imagine important benefits to the association, much like the ones you suggest.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
disappointing that no one from the staff could shed light on this.  i think bdm is making an interesting inquiring.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 04:30:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
disappointing that no one from the staff could shed light on this.  i think bdm is making an interesting inquiring.

It's a question for Jeff, as he's the only one that can fully answer it.  My guess is that he didn't see it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 04:33:17 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

It's a question for Jeff, as he's the only one that can fully answer it.  My guess is that he didn't see it.

thx for the response roy. hopefully he sees it

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 06:47:41 PM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
I rarely weigh in on forums being a mod/author - especially these kind of questions and topics because it makes me scratch my head and wonder in utter amazement how people come to find such things like these inquiries to be any of their business.

It is in fact your right to inquire I guess, but what would you do exactly with Jeff's answer - if he provides it? Will you then want to debate the decision he made as if you had any "sweat equity" in this place over the years or as if you had some other true vested interest other than you like this place?

Are you somehow  using this information to better your own life because now you know something personal about another persons business and personal decisions? Dark Lord why is it "disappointing" to you that you didn't get exactly what you want in terms of quick response? What actually does a mod or staff member (or Jeff for that matter) really owe you personally in terms of responding to every question someone like you or BMD860  might decide to pose? While this may be something you find interesting to pry into, it is in all actuality none of your business? Dark Lord how dare they mods or Jeff not immediately respond to something you and a few others want to know. 

Bare with me a second here if you two can read the following and try to see another perspective:

Imagine driving down the street and seeing a small business that someone you vaguely know as the owner but are very familiar with the product he provides. You may or may not realize this owner originally built this business (that you have frequented for years) from the ground up day in and day out. Today however, you suddenly drop in and see lots of things you enjoyed about this business have changed!!!  The parking lot is now smaller or larger. The front door has been moved, and more doors had been added. The sign out front of this business has also been changed and is now fancier.The whole place outside now has a different feel to it. Now please keep in mind that this business you like to frequent was built primarily by the idea and work of one guy who poured his heart and soul into this business over the years. He spent endless hours every single day constructing the building, filling it with things you liked to read or use. He originally paid for this himself in both cash and lots and lots of sweat equity (do you know what that term means?)

Day in and day out he kept building and working on his product and built a good client base for this totally free product that  you yourself enjoyed every time you stopped by and it was always open! Never closed, always fresh, always clean, always free!

Also Imagine this product and place of business was unique in that the owner was always fair with his clients. He was always letting them have a chance to contribute to his product and he always provided a place to share their ideas not to mention he provided  rooms to go in, sit down and discuss all kinds of various subjects while keeping those subjects and topics organized. He also kept out the people who wanted to bully other people around in these rooms within his business by not letting them cuss or put down other people or cut off those who had a different opinion. In short it was a friendly free product and you enjoyed it I assume because you kept coming back.

But one day the owner wanted something more, something different, something new for the business he built. Maybe someone wanted to become a partner in his business, and perhaps they approached them, or maybe they approached him (it doesn't matter and certainly none of my business or yours).  Perhaps they bought his business outright but they wanted him to run it, or maybe some other arrangement took place that the original owner wanted to try for himself (for what ever reason he wanted to try a product with new people) . Once again this would be nobody's business to butt in and find out why this occurred, as they are just clients and/or patrons of the small business that was fun to be a client of.

Now these new people and perhaps the original owner decide in some capacity hat they wanted to change some things of this business, And so ......here comes the new parking lot you just noticed as you drove by a couple of days ago, some new signage is out front that you may find ugly, new colors, new place to sit when you drop by and maybe some new rooms and new seating arrangements.

You think this sucks as it just doesn't feel right. You hate the changes to one of your favorite places to hang out (for free) . So now something in your mind implores you to send the dedicated original owner a note that essentially says" Hey Mr Jeff how much has your new partner/owner and their ideas benefited you? Have they been good people and keep their promises? Did they force you to make these changes?  How much did revenue improve?  etc etc....

Really? Name a business owner who would allow you to come into his place of business (that you been enjoying for free) and start asking these type questions who would then be gracious enough to give you an answer? Jeff might be the one owner who would because he really is a nice guy who takes pride in what he does, what he has built and he truly seems to appreciates most, if not all, of his loyal clients. He wants them to be happy He might give you some answer.

However most small business owners that I know (and after 35 years in business I know a lot small business owners who have built their business from the ground up - including me) would take offense to your questions and insistence they be answered. They most likely would also abruptly show each of you two the new front door and tell you not to let it hit you in your arse on the way out.

In short, you should be thanking Jeff for all the enjoyment of the site he built and wish him well. If it is too much change for you, then that is your right. Go find another blog site that you like or perhaps build your own. But to ask these type of personal and inappropriate questions that in my opinion don't even deserve an answer seems rude.

Stay and adapt and hopefully enjoy.... or move your prying mind on down the road a bit further. Peace

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 07:07:55 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I rarely weigh in on forums being a mod/author - especially these kind of questions and topics because it makes me scratch my head and wonder in utter amazement how people come to find such things like these inquiries to be any of their business.

It is in fact your right to inquire I guess, but what would you do exactly with Jeff's answer - if he provides it? Will you then want to debate the decision he made as if you had any "sweat equity" in this place over the years or as if you had some other true vested interest other than you like this place?

Are you somehow  using this information to better your own life because now you know something personal about another persons business and personal decisions? Dark Lord why is it "disappointing" to you that you didn't get exactly what you want in terms of quick response? What actually does a mod or staff member (or Jeff for that matter) really owe you personally in terms of responding to every question someone like you or BMD860  might decide to pose? While this may be something you find interesting to pry into, it is in all actuality none of your business? Dark Lord how dare they mods or Jeff not immediately respond to something you and a few others want to know. 

Bare with me a second here if you two can read the following and try to see another perspective:

Imagine driving down the street and seeing a small business that someone you vaguely know as the owner but are very familiar with the product he provides. You may or may not realize this owner originally built this business (that you have frequented for years) from the ground up day in and day out. Today however, you suddenly drop in and see lots of things you enjoyed about this business have changed!!!  The parking lot is now smaller or larger. The front door has been moved, and more doors had been added. The sign out front of this business has also been changed and is now fancier.The whole place outside now has a different feel to it. Now please keep in mind that this business you like to frequent was built primarily by the idea and work of one guy who poured his heart and soul into this business over the years. He spent endless hours every single day constructing the building, filling it with things you liked to read or use. He originally paid for this himself in both cash and lots and lots of sweat equity (do you know what that term means?)

Day in and day out he kept building and working on his product and built a good client base for this totally free product that  you yourself enjoyed every time you stopped by and it was always open! Never closed, always fresh, always clean, always free!

Also Imagine this product and place of business was unique in that the owner was always fair with his clients. He was always letting them have a chance to contribute to his product and he always provided a place to share their ideas not to mention he provided  rooms to go in, sit down and discuss all kinds of various subjects while keeping those subjects and topics organized. He also kept out the people who wanted to bully other people around in these rooms within his business by not letting them cuss or put down other people or cut off those who had a different opinion. In short it was a friendly free product and you enjoyed it I assume because you kept coming back.

But one day the owner wanted something more, something different, something new for the business he built. Maybe someone wanted to become a partner in his business, and perhaps they approached them, or maybe they approached him (it doesn't matter and certainly none of my business or yours).  Perhaps they bought his business outright but they wanted him to run it, or maybe some other arrangement took place that the original owner wanted to try for himself (for what ever reason he wanted to try a product with new people) . Once again this would be nobody's business to butt in and find out why this occurred, as they are just clients and/or patrons of the small business that was fun to be a client of.

Now these new people and perhaps the original owner decide in some capacity hat they wanted to change some things of this business, And so ......here comes the new parking lot you just noticed as you drove by a couple of days ago, some new signage is out front that you may find ugly, new colors, new place to sit when you drop by and maybe some new rooms and new seating arrangements.

You think this sucks as it just doesn't feel right. You hate the changes to one of your favorite places to hang out (for free) . So now something in your mind implores you to send the dedicated original owner a note that essentially says" Hey Mr Jeff how much has your new partner/owner and their ideas benefited you? Have they been good people and keep their promises? Did they force you to make these changes?  How much did revenue improve?  etc etc....

Really? Name a business owner who would allow you to come into his place of business (that you been enjoying for free) and start asking these type questions who would then be gracious enough to give you an answer? Jeff might be the one owner who would because he really is a nice guy who takes pride in what he does, what he has built and he truly seems to appreciates most, if not all, of his loyal clients. He wants them to be happy He might give you some answer.

However most small business owners that I know (and after 35 years in business I know a lot small business owners who have built their business from the ground up - including me) would take offense to your questions and insistence they be answered. They most likely would also abruptly show each of you two the new front door and tell you not to let it hit you in your arse on the way out.

In short, you should be thanking Jeff for all the enjoyment of the site he built and wish him well. If it is too much change for you, then that is your right. Go find another blog site that you like or perhaps build your own. But to ask these type of personal and inappropriate questions that in my opinion don't even deserve an answer seems rude.

Stay and adapt and hopefully enjoy.... or move your prying mind on down the road a bit further. Peace

Wow!!  I don't get the vitriol.  Sorry, I just don't.  The question seemed innocent enough.  That's what we do around here, ask questions, debate stuff, basketball related and otherwise. 

If Jeff doesn't feel like responding, he doesn't need to.  I think most everyone has the utmost respect for him and what he's created at CelticsBlog. 

It didn't appear to me that bdm meant any disrespect.  He was just curious.  Maybe it's a question he'll never get answered and everyone will move on to more pressing topics like the role of Darko Milicic, whether or not Rondo is an MVP candidate, or if we can beat the Heat and/or Lakers. 

It was worth asking, though, in my opinion.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 07:22:22 PM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
and in my opinion it wasn't ...no meanness intended on my part. I said he the right to ask it! and he did. We have different opinion and I expressed mine... it irritated me, confused me and did my best to explain why.

Peace 

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Wow!!  I don't get the vitriol.  Sorry, I just don't.  The question seemed innocent enough.  That's what we do around here, ask questions, debate stuff, basketball related and otherwise.

As many have observed, it's hard to tell tone on the internet.

I read Po's response not to be vitriolic, but more like a town elder trying to pass on a different perspective.  I see how it can be read the other way, but I don't think Po was trying to bite anybody's head off.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
So I know a lot of people are upset with the recent changes to the look and layout of the site, and it’s understandable if for nothing other than people don’t like change, and most probably didn’t feel anything was broke to begin with.  I understand these changes are mandated by SB Nation, so there’s really nothing Jeff can do.  That got me to thinking about Celticsblog association with SB Nation.

To me, I see the SB Nation reaching out to Jeff, inviting him to be part of a larger sports blog network with goals to rival places like ESPN, Yahoo, etc, along with promises of more unique visitors, more ad revenue, and less work for CB staff.  Maybe it didn’t happen like that, but that’s how I picture it.  At the very least there had to be some perceived benefit of joining SB Nation.

It’s been a couple of years now at least since this blog became part of SB Nation, hasn’t it?  Has Celticsblog really benefited and if so how? Has SB Nation delivered on all their promises?  Any problems arise from working with them (perhaps unpopular, forced layout changes being one of them)?

Not that I expect hard numbers to be given, but can you say things like ad revenue has improved 300% since, CB averages 50% more new registered users a month, 150% increase in page views, 2 less hours a day working on the site, 80% drop in expenses, we appear earlier in search engines, etc.?  We've had a few ticket give aways, is that due to being part of SB Nation? And any answers that are given, are we certain any increases come from SB Nation and not just the team being better as well as the cultural shift to blogging/internet?

Not a slam against CB being part of SB Nation, just curious.

Money brother, money. They pay him to run it. Let's say you're running a burger stand making 50 grand per year. Wendys comes up to you and says hey, let us open up shop here - you abide by our rules, run our store (with your own style), and we'll pay you triple what you were making before.

Who would you be to say no? Unfortunately that's why as users, we're screwed. Haven't read a single article since the changes. Front page is too confusing.

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 07:56:50 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Wow!!  I don't get the vitriol.  [...] It was worth asking, though, in my opinion.
This was also basically my reaction, I was floored by how out of left field that it seemed to be. That was a pretty specific analogy.

Fact of the matter is, even though I personally think the OP is prying, there are some interwebs entrepreneurs  who are frank and upfront about things like this (moot comes to mind as an example), and some who are not. There's really no way to know unless you ask. So I wouldn't disparage anyone for it, unless it was made clear that such questions were not welcome.

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 07:57:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

As many have observed, it's hard to tell tone on the internet.

I read Po's response not to be vitriolic, but more like a town elder trying to pass on a different perspective.  I see how it can be read the other way, but I don't think Po was trying to bite anybody's head off.
Yeah, I don't see the vitriol either and having been a small business owner that just sold his business I would probably be a bit annoyed or just ignore someone if they started asking me the details of the deal, how much I sold it for, if it was enough for me, if my customers were angry about it, etc, etc.

I think Master Po was just trying to explain the way someone like Jeff, or really any business owner, would respond or the feelings they might have if asked the questions asked in this thread. Simply put, a man or woman's business is just that, their business and no one else's. And [dang] sure the last thing any owner wants to do publicly is start detailing things like ad revenue, number of customers, profits, or anything related to the accounts of the business. My accountant would have shot me if I had ever done anything like that.

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 08:04:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I actually think the SBNation affiliation must have, at the very least, helped in the exposure of Celticsblog to a wider audience and also helped with the mechanics of the software that runs the blog.

I remember poor Bob Day at times appeared swamped with stuff to do because he was cleaning up bugs and problems with the technical end of the site. Now a whole team of people are there and CB has all the upgrades that come along with being part of a larger technical entity.

Maybe Jeff and the mods can expand on that but being here for 4-5 years, I seem to remember having seen this discussed some by Jeff elsewhere.

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 08:27:34 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
lemme think about how to best answer this question but I think it is safe to say that there's a subtle difference between what I get out of the relationship and what CelticsBlog gets out of it (both are good, I assure you)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)