Author Topic: Doncic matches a Bird/Jordan/Abdul-Jabbar record. ROY?  (Read 3437 times)

Re: Doncic matches a Bird/Jordan/Abdul-Jabbar record. ROY?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 06:26:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If you watch highlights of bird you can see how he used ball fakes perhaps better than any other player in history and could see plays developing 2-3 steps in advance. Doncic clearly excels in those same skills. He also has some of that same moxy and flair for the game that bird possessed. While he doesnt quite have the physical profile of bird and plays a different style of game, they definitely share more than a few common characteristics

He is not half the player Larry Bird was, get real

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 07:20:05 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
If you watch highlights of bird you can see how he used ball fakes perhaps better than any other player in history and could see plays developing 2-3 steps in advance. Doncic clearly excels in those same skills. He also has some of that same moxy and flair for the game that bird possessed. While he doesnt quite have the physical profile of bird and plays a different style of game, they definitely share more than a few common characteristics

No one is saying he's as good as Bird or ever will be, but how he plays the game is a little reminiscent of him.  It's very impressive especially considering he's only 19.

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 07:35:05 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

I'd put my hand in the fire that Dončić is a superior player then Larry was at 19 yrs.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 07:50:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'd put my hand in the fire that Dončić is a superior player then Larry was at 19 yrs.

Well, Larry might have been hauling trash at that period of his life and not even playing basketball.  You may be right because of that.

Bird really turned his team around his rookie year, Doncic has been great but it he has not turned the franchise around like Larry did the Celtics.

Almost single-handedly, he had reversed the fortunes of the fabled franchise, restoring Celtic pride and tradition. A team that returned four of five starters from an underwhelming 1978-79 Celtic squad that won just 29 games added Bird in 1979-80 - and voila, they won a league-best 61 games.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2015/1/7/7507079/the-story-of-how-rookie-phenom-larry-bird-led-the-nbas-greatest

Right now the mavs are a 9-9 team.   Doncic is very impressive but Larry Bird made every one of his team mates better.   Luka has some of that, but not as much as Larry.

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 08:33:50 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Well, Larry might have been hauling trash at that period of his life and not even playing basketball.  You may be right because of that.

Bird really turned his team around his rookie year, Doncic has been great but it he has not turned the franchise around like Larry did the Celtics.

Almost single-handedly, he had reversed the fortunes of the fabled franchise, restoring Celtic pride and tradition. A team that returned four of five starters from an underwhelming 1978-79 Celtic squad that won just 29 games added Bird in 1979-80 - and voila, they won a league-best 61 games.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2015/1/7/7507079/the-story-of-how-rookie-phenom-larry-bird-led-the-nbas-greatest

Right now the mavs are a 9-9 team.   Doncic is very impressive but Larry Bird made every one of his team mates better.   Luka has some of that, but not as much as Larry.
9-9 is impressive for this squad IMO.

We will how Luka does after 4 more years of further development, right now he is the best rook since...(2 mins)...
I have a tough time remembering which player was as polished while contributing to winning basketball as Luka is at 19.

And "Don" Luka also hauled Eurobasket trophy at age of 18, while Larry might have been hauling trash at his age, as you said.

It would be too bold to say he is "the new Larry Bird", but his brains, determination and all-round play are easily comparable to Larry.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 08:35:54 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Watching highlights of Bird's passing is a good reminder of just how special he was.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EhnRtgBGMl4#

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 08:36:29 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Only question I have regarding Doncic is whether he's reached his peak too soon. I mean, the kid has been playing like a grown man since he was 16 years old. Does he have much room for improvement?

Having said that, I'd trade anyone in our roster for Doncic.

Kyrie for Doncic + fillers? I'd do it. (the Mavs wouldn't)
Tatum for Doncic straight up? Yep.

That's how special I believe this kid is.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 08:42:51 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 10:35:31 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Watching highlights of Bird's passing is a good reminder of just how special he was.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EhnRtgBGMl4#
thanks for the reminder on bird. his passing was amazing. doncic is good, but right now not THAT good.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 10:41:04 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Unless injuries shut down his season prematurely,  I don't see anyone beating him out for ROY. 

This kid is a stud and he's just getting started.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 11:05:12 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
So far I'd say he's the runaway ROY, he plays well beyond his years. He's lived up to the hype which is amazing because there was a lot of hype.

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 12:05:02 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Bird entered the league at the age of 22 (two months short of 23). He had a bigger impact than Doncic, but at the same time he was 3+ years older.

thanks for the reminder on bird. his passing was amazing. doncic is good, but right now not THAT good.
Bird is a GOAT candidate. Nobody could have possibly been that good at the age of 19.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he 'll end up being better than Larry. In fact, I'm almost certain that he won't, simply because Larry is 2 inches taller. All I'm saying is, I really like Doncic.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:22:40 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 12:09:46 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Bird entered the league at the age of 22 (two months short of 23). He had a bigger impact than Doncic, but at the same time he was 3+ years younger.

Bird is a GOAT candidate. Nobody could have possibly been that good at the age of 19.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he 'll end up being better than Larry. All I'm saying is, I really like Doncic.
yes, which is why i wrote "right now."  ;D

i have been on the doncic bandwagon for years now. he is very good and will be, i think, a great nba player.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 08:42:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Doncic is a very special player and he does remind me very much of Larry Legend. If he works as hard as Larry is going to be a great player, no doubt. That said, there will never be another Larry Bird, just an amazing player.

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 08:50:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Luka Doncic will be the new Luka Doncic, not the new Larry Bird. Larry was special in so many ways. Doncic is also special, in some ways like Larry, in some not like Larry. It might be a good idea for Luka to watch a ton of Larry of vid and mimic him in some ways because, he, more than anyone since Bird, has the ability to do those Bird things.

Bird started in the NBA at 23. Doncic at 19. It should be fun how much better Doncic gets in the next 4 years to see if he is truly much like Bird.