Author Topic: Celtic Rookie Comparisons  (Read 4656 times)

Celtic Rookie Comparisons
« on: October 17, 2019, 09:28:17 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Fun activity. NBA fans love to compare players to other NBA players. I don't like getting crazy, but it can be helpful. These are not projections for this season, but for what I think is the likely outcome of their prime.

Carson Edwards: Patty Mills
Career with Spurs 19 mpg, 9 ppg, 2.5 apg, 2 rpg on 43/39/86 shooting splits. Can single-handedly swing a game with a hot stretch in a quarter. Not great at running an offense, but can in spurts. Decent scheme/team defender.

Grant Williams: PJ Tucker since returning from Europe 30 mpg 8ppg, 6rpg, 2 apg, 1spg on 42/36/75 shooting. Great team defender. Strong enough to play small ball big in spurts in an open offensive scheme. I actually think Grant will be a better passer than PJ Tucker ever was, but will be a minimal scorer like Tucker.

Romeo Langford: Jeremy Lamb last two seasons 27 mpg, 14ppg, 5rpg, 2apg on 45/36/87 shooting. A rotational wing that puts pressure on the defense and can score in bunches slashing to the rim.

Vincent Poirier: Alex Len last season last season 20 mpg, 11ppg, 5rpg, 1bpg on 49% shooting. I actually think Poirier has better hands and a better feel for the game offensively than Len ever will, but he hasn't done it at the NBA level yet.

Tremont Waters: Monte Morris/Yogi Ferrell. There's tons of small guards that try to carve out a role in the NBA. Many can't. If Waters can, it will be a in the 3rd-4th ball-handler role as a backup guard. I think he might have what it takes.

Tacko Fall: Alexis Ajinca. I'll get crucified for whatever I say here. I'm not sure he is an NBA player. Similarly to Ajinca, he is going to struggle to cover ground and contest shots. If a player dribbles right into a rhythm block, he will get him, but otherwise, I don't see the reaction time necessary to protect the rim or defend pick-and-rolls. Still he can be a difficult player to adjust to in his minutes on the court.

Max Strus: Joe Harris. I really think Strus has the ability to play in a rhythm spread offense and succeed. I like his shooting stroke. I like his movement. I like how quickly he makes decisions. I think he is ok on defense.

Jevonte Green: Darius Miller. He looks like a guy who could play in an NBA game without getting killed, but he just looks like a guy to me. Hopefully he gets an NBA contract from somewhere. He has energy and athleticism to bring to an NBA team on a cold January night.

Re: Celtic Rookie Comparisons
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 09:50:33 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
Fun activity. NBA fans love to compare players to other NBA players. I don't like getting crazy, but it can be helpful. These are not projections for this season, but for what I think is the likely outcome of their prime.

Carson Edwards: Patty Mills
Career with Spurs 19 mpg, 9 ppg, 2.5 apg, 2 rpg on 43/39/86 shooting splits. Can single-handedly swing a game with a hot stretch in a quarter. Not great at running an offense, but can in spurts. Decent scheme/team defender.

Grant Williams: PJ Tucker since returning from Europe 30 mpg 8ppg, 6rpg, 2 apg, 1spg on 42/36/75 shooting. Great team defender. Strong enough to play small ball big in spurts in an open offensive scheme. I actually think Grant will be a better passer than PJ Tucker ever was, but will be a minimal scorer like Tucker.

Romeo Langford: Jeremy Lamb last two seasons 27 mpg, 14ppg, 5rpg, 2apg on 45/36/87 shooting. A rotational wing that puts pressure on the defense and can score in bunches slashing to the rim.

Vincent Poirier: Alex Len last season last season 20 mpg, 11ppg, 5rpg, 1bpg on 49% shooting. I actually think Poirier has better hands and a better feel for the game offensively than Len ever will, but he hasn't done it at the NBA level yet.

Tremont Waters: Monte Morris/Yogi Ferrell. There's tons of small guards that try to carve out a role in the NBA. Many can't. If Waters can, it will be a in the 3rd-4th ball-handler role as a backup guard. I think he might have what it takes.

Tacko Fall: Alexis Ajinca. I'll get crucified for whatever I say here. I'm not sure he is an NBA player. Similarly to Ajinca, he is going to struggle to cover ground and contest shots. If a player dribbles right into a rhythm block, he will get him, but otherwise, I don't see the reaction time necessary to protect the rim or defend pick-and-rolls. Still he can be a difficult player to adjust to in his minutes on the court.

Max Strus: Joe Harris. I really think Strus has the ability to play in a rhythm spread offense and succeed. I like his shooting stroke. I like his movement. I like how quickly he makes decisions. I think he is ok on defense.

Jevonte Green: Darius Miller. He looks like a guy who could play in an NBA game without getting killed, but he just looks like a guy to me. Hopefully he gets an NBA contract from somewhere. He has energy and athleticism to bring to an NBA team on a cold January night.

Jeremy Lamb is an interesting comparison for Langford. My one hope would be that he can be a guy who gets to the free throw line more than Lamb does. That was perhaps his best skill in college. Lamb was more known for his shooting in college, although it hasn't translated that much in the NBA really.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 10:11:45 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Tremont Waters reminds me of Trae Young. Young is obviously a better 3 point shooter.  But on the flip side, Waters is a much better defender. They are of very similar height and length. They both have a good feel for the flow of the game, and court awareness.

Not saying Waters will become as valuable as Young. But heck, their games are very similar.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 10:16:43 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Tremont Waters reminds me of Trae Young. Young is obviously a better 3 point shooter.  But on the flip side, Waters is a much better defender. They are of very similar height and length. They both have a good feel for the flow of the game, and court awareness.

Not saying Waters will become as valuable as Young. But heck, their games are very similar.
I think Young is considerably better as a passer, and has better court vision. There's a reason why the player he's being compared to is Nash rather than Curry.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 10:19:36 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Maybe raw measurables and some abilities, but Trae Young is creating a brand new archetype of player--we will see if that archetype can contribute to winning. Even though he is inefficient, his chucking from distance forces the defense to stretch out, which enables him to use his dynamic passing abilities.

There is no one else in the NBA that uses the threat quite like Trae Young does, especially because it's kind of a toothless threat. It's what makes him special and makes their offense tick.

Waters is much more traditional.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 10:23:09 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Maybe raw measurables and some abilities, but Trae Young is creating a brand new archetype of player--we will see if that archetype can contribute to winning. Even though he is inefficient, his chucking from distance forces the defense to stretch out, which enables him to use his dynamic passing abilities.

There is no one else in the NBA that uses the threat quite like Trae Young does, especially because it's kind of a toothless threat. It's what makes him special and makes their offense tick.

Trae Young bombing threes from the logo is hardly toothless lol, that's reserved for the Marcus Rashfords of the world when they're bombing down the flanks to masquerade as the second coming of CR7 when in reality they're a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty Welbeck.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 11:30:25 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
All of those comps sound right to me.  Carsen seems somehow ... more solid than Patty Mills?  Stronger?  Not sure it makes a difference in practice.  I think he'll be used in a similar fashion.  Hopefully he can play that kind of role for the Celts.  Love me some Patty Mills.

I think Grant has a bit less perimeter zig than Tucker and a more polished back to the basket game.  My feeling is Grant should be able to punish switches more effectively than Tucker, but probably won't make the same kind of impact as a perimeter defender, at least not early on.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 11:37:10 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Traditional in that he plays defense LOL.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 11:50:39 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Waters - Patty Mills is probably his ceiling

Edwards - a better three point shooting Jameer Nelson

G. Williams - Stronger Jared Dudley

Romeo - got to see more of him to come up with a comparison

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 11:56:21 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
All of those comps sound right to me.  Carsen seems somehow ... more solid than Patty Mills?  Stronger?  Not sure it makes a difference in practice.  I think he'll be used in a similar fashion.  Hopefully he can play that kind of role for the Celts.  Love me some Patty Mills.

I think Grant has a bit less perimeter zig than Tucker and a more polished back to the basket game.  My feeling is Grant should be able to punish switches more effectively than Tucker, but probably won't make the same kind of impact as a perimeter defender, at least not early on.
Grant can shoot the three too.

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 12:14:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Tacko = Boban Marjanovic

Edwards reminds me a bit of Nate Robinson. Explosive scoring and shot making capabilities. Short strong build. Good athlete.

Waters a typical 3rd string PG. Like Phil Pressey.

Need to see more of Romeo Langford. Description of him makes me think of Nick Young. Different style of SG to Nick Young (more slasher than shooter) but similar type of impact and macro strengths/weaknesses (scoring/defense).

Grant Williams is a tough one to find the right comparison. All the guys I can think of are not quite right but they are all really good players which is a good sign. Guys like Boris Diaw or Anthony Mason. Grant Williams is far too talented on the ball as a passer, shot maker and ball-handler to be compared to a limited offensive threat like PJ Tucker. Tucker is just a spot up shooter. Grant Williams has far more to his game than that.

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 12:34:37 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Tacko = Boban Marjanovic

Edwards reminds me a bit of Nate Robinson. Explosive scoring and shot making capabilities. Short strong build. Good athlete.

Waters a typical 3rd string PG. Like Phil Pressey.

Need to see more of Romeo Langford. Description of him makes me think of Nick Young. Different style of SG to Nick Young (more slasher than shooter) but similar type of impact and macro strengths/weaknesses (scoring/defense).

Grant Williams is a tough one to find the right comparison. All the guys I can think of are not quite right but they are all really good players which is a good sign. Guys like Boris Diaw or Anthony Mason. Grant Williams is far too talented on the ball as a passer, shot maker and ball-handler to be compared to a limited offensive threat like PJ Tucker. Tucker is just a spot up shooter. Grant Williams has far more to his game than that.
Good comparisons except I don't agree with the Tacko one.  I'm not sure why a guy who projects as defense only is being compared to a guy who is mainly an offensive guy.

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 03:08:16 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Romeo - got to see more of him to come up with a comparison - AGREED

But after limited action in two preseason games he is reminding me a little of Evan Turner - does a lot of stuff better than average - jack of all trades, master of none.  Questionable shooter, but with a knack for scoring (if that makes sense).  Probably needs the ball in his hands to be most effective.

I would rather see he get to play in Maine than sit the bench in street clothes with Boston.

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 03:17:04 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
Waters = Trey Burke with D
Edwards-like the Jameer Nelson comparison
Williams=Mario Ellie
Fall=Muresan
Langford-Todd Day

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 03:39:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Grant can shoot the three too.

So can Tucker.  37% on over 4 attempts per game the last two years
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain