Author Topic: Bradley Beal signs 2 year 72 million max extension  (Read 4368 times)

Re: Bradley Beal signs 2 year 72 million max extension
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2019, 10:49:30 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well, at least we won't have to see anymore Brown and parts for Beal trades for a year.
Oh ikr, what a relief.

If Brown signs an extension, we’ll see them every day.
I thought you could not trade a player for one year after they sign an extension, or is that wrong?

6 months.  If he’s traded before July 1st, then his outgoing salary is the average of this year’s salary and all his future salary.  After July 1st it becomes whatever he makes next year.
But basically, for this season, both Brown, if he gets an extension, and Beal will not be allowed to be traded until after this season ends since the 6 months comes after the trade deadline.

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2019, 10:51:31 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2019, 10:54:25 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
It's called extend and trade.

Here:
https://www.sactownroyalty.com/2018/10/12/17971806/justise-winslows-new-deal-makes-him-eligible-for-extend-and-trade-jimmy-butler-sacramento-kings

Thats limited to a 3 year deal. So far the deals that have been rumored are 4 year deals. Jaylen Brown would not be eligible for extend and trade in that case. It (the trade) has to happen right away too. If Jaylen signs an extension he's here till the summer. I'd still bet he doesn't. That article is talking about the possibility of an immediate trade of Winslow for Jimmy Butler.

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2019, 10:55:04 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Here:
https://www.sactownroyalty.com/2018/10/12/17971806/justise-winslows-new-deal-makes-him-eligible-for-extend-and-trade-jimmy-butler-sacramento-kings
Dude, Beal didn't sign an extend and trade deal. He signed a regular old extension, so he can not be traded for 6 months. If Brown signs an extension, same thing.

The only way an extend and trade happens for Brown is if Danny works out the extend and trade before October 21st and moves Brown in that time.

And that isn't happening

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2019, 11:00:07 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Here:
Dude, Beal didn't sign an extend and trade deal. He signed a regular old extension, so he can not be traded for 6 months. If Brown signs an extension, same thing.

The only way an extend and trade happens for Brown is if Danny works out the extend and trade before October 21st and moves Brown in that time.

And that isn't happening

I'm referring to Jaylen Brown, not Beal.

That isn't happening according to you!

I never said it's 100% happening.

But you can't also say that's 100% not happening because you're not Danny Ainge.

Your question was is it possible to trade Brown if he signs an extension.
The answer is "yes" because according to you, it can be done before Oct. 21.
As far as I know, it's still Oct. 17.

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2019, 11:05:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Here:

And that isn't happening

I'm referring to Jaylen Brown, not Beal.

That isn't happening according to you!

I never said it's 100% happening.

But you can't also say that's 100% not happening because you're not Danny Ainge.

Your question was is it possible to trade Brown if he signs an extension.
The answer is "yes" because according to you, it can be done before Oct. 21.
As far as I know, it's still Oct. 17.
It's not happening so don't get your hopes up.

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2019, 11:06:44 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Well, at least we won't have to see anymore Brown and parts for Beal trades for a year.
Oh ikr, what a relief.

If Brown signs an extension, we’ll see them every day.
I thought you could not trade a player for one year after they sign an extension, or is that wrong?

6 months.  If he’s traded before July 1st, then his outgoing salary is the average of this year’s salary and all his future salary.  After July 1st it becomes whatever he makes next year.

That's for free-agents.

Jaylen belongs in the rookie scale category.

No, it isn’t.

When can't a player be traded? Can players be given "no-trade" clauses in their contracts?

For six months after signing a player to an extension that is over the limit (in terms of years, salary or raises) for an extend-and-trade transaction (see question number 95).

95. Can a player be given an extension and traded at the same time?

Similar to a sign-and-trade arrangement (see question number 92), a team may sign an eligible player to an extension (see question number 58) and immediately trade him to another team. Such an "extend-and-trade" is limited to three seasons, which include any seasons remaining on the player's current contract1. The salary in the first season of the extension can have a 5% raise over the last season of the existing contract, and subsequent raises are limited to 5% of the salary in the first season of the extension. The 5% limit also applies to both likely and unlikely bonuses.

A player cannot be traded in an extend-and-trade after the season (for example, on draft day) in the last season of his contract, or in any season that might be the last season due to an option or ETO.

Since an extend-and-trade has greater limits than a regular extension (three seasons and 5% raises vs. four seasons and 8% raises), the rules prevent teams from circumventing these limits by extending and trading the player in separate transactions. If a team extends a player beyond the limits of an extend-and-trade (for example, if they sign a player to a four-year extension), they can't trade the player for six months. Conversely, a team cannot extend a player it receives in trade for six months, if the extension exceeds the limits of an extend-and-trade2.

Extend-and-trade transactions are rare. To date they have only been used for Kevin Garnett (traded from Minnesota to Boston in 2007) and Carmelo Anthony (traded from Denver to New York in 2011).

A rookie scale contract (see question number 47) can be extended and traded in an extend-and-trade transaction, although there is no benefit to doing so. A rookie scale extension can be signed immediately after the player is traded (such as with James Harden's trade to the Rockets in 2012), and a rookie scale extension (see question number 58) can be much larger than the extension allowed through an extend-and-trade.

To be eligible for an extend-and-trade, which requires him to be traded immediately upon signing the contract, Jaylen could receive only a 5% raise between this year and next, which I think even you would say is far less than he’s worth.

Finally:

91. What is the Poison Pill Provision?

"Poison Pill" isn't a defined term in the CBA, but there are a couple situations that are commonly referred to as a poison pill -- meaning a contract clause that creates a potential difficulty because the cap accounting can vary from the norm.

The first is when a team extends a first round draft pick's rookie scale contract (see question number 58) and then trades the player between the date the extension is signed and the date it takes effect. When this happens, the player's trade value for the receiving team is the average of the salaries in the last year of the rookie scale contract and each year of the extension. The sending team uses the player's actual salary when calculating their total outgoing salary, and uses the current-year maximum salary in place of the (unknown) maximum salary for a future season, if necessary.

For example, if a player on the last year of his rookie scale contract earns $5 million in 2018-19, and his contract is extended for four seasons starting at $10 million, with 5% raises, then his salary in each season will be:

Season   Salary
2018-19   $5,000,000
2019-20   $10,000,000
2020-21   $10,500,000
2021-22   $11,000,000
2022-23   $11,500,000

If this player is traded during the 2018-19 season, then his outgoing salary from the sending team's perspective is his actual salary -- $5 million. But the player's incoming salary from the receiving team's perspective is $9.6 million -- the average of all five seasons. Such a player would be very difficult to trade -- a legal trade can only be accomplished if both teams add additional salary to the transaction, or if they include a third team that is able to absorb excess salary.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

I did mistype in my earlier post — I meant to say incoming is the average of his salaries, not outgoing.

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2019, 11:10:19 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Like I said, it's possible to trade Brown in an extend and trade scenario.

I'm not saying it will happen, I'm only answering the question is it possible.

The answer here is it's possible but unlikely.

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2019, 11:12:22 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Dude, we’re not talking about extending-and-trading.  We’re talking about when Brown would be eligible to be traded if he signs an extension.  That’s 6 months (which, as it’s after the deadline, means not until after both teams involved in the trade have been eliminated from the playoffs).

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2019, 11:14:05 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

No it's impossible. Brown already turned down 4 years at $80 million. He isn't going to agree to an extend and trade where he can only make much less money.

If a player won't agree to an extend and trade or sign and trade then those trades are impossible to pull off.

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2019, 11:16:36 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

No it's impossible. Brown already turned down 4 years at $80 million. He isn't going to agree to an extend and trade where he can only make much less money.

If a player won't agree to an extend and trade or sign and trade then those trades are impossible to pull off.

Again, I'm not saying it will happen.

Like what you said, if a player won't agree it won't happen, right?

But if the player agrees, for whatever reason, it can happen.

That's why I said it's possible but unlikely.

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2019, 11:17:42 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Dude, we’re not talking about extending-and-trading.  We’re talking about when Brown would be eligible to be traded if he signs an extension.  That’s 6 months (which, as it’s after the deadline, means not until after both teams involved in the trade have been eliminated from the playoffs).

If that's the case then read my post where I said if Jaylen signs an extension then he's going nowhere.

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2019, 11:23:45 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

If that's the case then read my post where I said if Jaylen signs an extension then he's going nowhere.

You can just admit you’re wrong, you know.  It’s not that hard.

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2019, 11:27:39 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Increases his trade value while giving some long term security to a guy with some significant injuries in the past.  Good move for both sides.

I don't buy that he has any future in Washington.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain