Author Topic: Carson Edwards 3rd quarter explosion - highlights  (Read 9681 times)

Re: Carson Edwards 3rd quarter explosion - highlights
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 10:54:55 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
“Scalabrine after an unethical treatment of cattle.”

The White Mamba? Did Scalabrine torch the Bulls with 3 pointers?!?

Tp

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 11:07:55 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Tp

Cattle? Does the fact that he is the GOAT factor into this?

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2019, 05:19:40 AM »

Offline perkinsfor3

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 8

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2019, 10:15:07 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290

I'm scratching my head about that one too. I remember vaguely him being called 'Veal' for a while... is that it?

You got it. In his New Jersey days, teammates called him Veal after the dish, Veal Scallopini.

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2019, 10:19:21 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2019, 11:11:31 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I'm not fully following all of this stuff but I'm seeing stuff from Weird Celtics Twitter calling him Meat Check and Beef Bullet.

This dude is going to be fun to watch.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2019, 11:57:38 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
https://twitter.com/perkinsfor3/status/1184326658662240256

*hoot*hoot*

I like that Perk points out his short-shorts as one of his “short comings.” Short build, short dreds, short shorts.

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2019, 03:05:18 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
I like what I have seen with his hot shooting and confidence.  I am concerned he could have a little bit of Rozier in his game.  What happens when he takes these quick shots and they don't go in?  Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Walker don't get a touch. Saw a quick clip by Forsberg from the practice scrimmage today and he came down and launched a bad 30ft shot. I think he is smart enough not to go down that road and is the most likely reason why he will be a 2 coming off screens while others initiate.

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2019, 04:53:04 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I like what I have seen with his hot shooting and confidence.  I am concerned he could have a little bit of Rozier in his game.  What happens when he takes these quick shots and they don't go in?  Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Walker don't get a touch. Saw a quick clip by Forsberg from the practice scrimmage today and he came down and launched a bad 30ft shot. I think he is smart enough not to go down that road and is the most likely reason why he will be a 2 coming off screens while others initiate.

My guess is, even though he's a pg, he'll play a lot with Smart and not handle the ball as much as he is in preseason. They'll be trying to get him more stuff off the catch than off the bounce.

But, yeah, it's something worth watching for.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Do we have a special player in Edwards?

https://youtu.be/ZAB7TkNSq-Y

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27856286/carsen-edwards-drains-8-3-pointers-third-quarter-vs-cavs

Brad Stevens came away impressed after Carsen Edwards hit eight 3's in the third quarter of the Boston Celtics preseason win over the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Edwards finished 8-11 from 3 in the quarter, scoring 26 points.

"I've never seen anything like that. He was pretty special ... You look at a guy that size and you try to figure out how he does it. And he just keeps doing it," said Stevens.

Klay Thompson has the NBA record for most 3's in a quarter with nine. Three other players have hit eight 3's in a quarter in the regular season.

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2019, 04:17:25 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1351

That's always the risk you take with a gunner. They live and die by their shots going in. If they go in they're awesome, if not they suck. I think we'll get a better idea of his shot selection in the coming weeks.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2019, 12:11:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Great Boston.com in depth article on Carson Edward's development over the years. Started with a slight by the varsity coach who demoted him to JV.

Reminds me of how MJ got his edge.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2019/10/23/carsen-edwards-celtics-rookie

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2019, 12:37:39 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Great Boston.com in depth article on Carson Edward's development over the years. Started with a slight by the varsity coach who demoted him to JV.

Reminds me of how MJ got his edge.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2019/10/23/carsen-edwards-celtics-rookie

Awesome read for sure! TP.  He has a definite toughness and chip on his shoulder that most players in this day and age do not have. Love how when he is doubted, he goes silent and lets hard work and results speak for themselves.

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2019, 12:55:35 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

That's always the risk you take with a gunner. They live and die by their shots going in. If they go in they're awesome, if not they suck. I think we'll get a better idea of his shot selection in the coming weeks.

Not to mention, Edwards had a TS% of 65% in the preseason, which is elite. Rozier was at 50% last year which is terrible.

It's unlikely Edwards shoots that well this year, but he almost certainly won't be as inefficient as Rozier. Gunners who shoot efficiently are easier to deal with than gunners who shoot worse than everyone else on the floor.

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2019, 01:47:32 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I like what I have seen with his hot shooting and confidence.  I am concerned he could have a little bit of Rozier in his game. 

... he will be a 2 coming off screens while others initiate.

He’s Rozier’s replacement. Fortunately he looks ready to step into a rotation role early on.

Like Rozier, he’s high-tempo and gets shots for you off the dribble. If he can keep the turnovers down - like Terry - then he’ll really have something.

Terry’s shooting efficiency tailed off last year, but it’s never been great. Carsen looks like he could potentially give you all the great things that Terry gave you, but with better shooting efficiency.

And yes - that confidence to take the big shots. Rozier in the 2018 playoffs was clutch over and over.

Carsen looks like he’s got IT levels of confidence.

My guess is, even though he's a pg, he'll play a lot with Smart and not handle the ball as much as he is in preseason.

Definitely they will pair him with Smart. They’ll run a lot of the same sets for Smart/Walker that they run for Smart/Edwards.

They'll be trying to get him more stuff off the catch than off the bounce.

Here I have my doubts. Getting shots off the bounce is a strength for him.

He’s got big potential as a triple threat - very quick first step, can go left or right; he’s got a burst. Getting to the rim and making plays are the big growth areas. The deep threat opens up the floor for him and his teammates.

Isaiah Thomas with more size, and defense?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 01:53:40 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021