Author Topic: Woj: Jrue to Celtics  (Read 60628 times)

Re: Woj: Jrue to Celtics
« Reply #315 on: October 04, 2023, 10:15:58 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
I saw this last night on NBC Sports Boston where they referenced the following from Zach Lowe:

"I got texts from a couple of non-partisan front office executives ... that were in the vein of, 'This is what I worried about for the Bucks when they made the Lillard trade: that Boston would come in and get Jrue Holiday, and that the Bucks ... may have inadvertently helped their biggest rival more than they realized they did -- and maybe more than they helped themselves,'" Lowe said Monday on "The Lowe Post" podcast.

"I heard from a couple of front office executives from good Eastern Conference teams, and the texts that I received in the immediate wake of the trade were two and three words long, to the tone of, 'Well f--- us,' or 'Oof, this sucks.'"

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nba/boston-celtics/celtics-fans-will-love-nba-execs-reactions-jrue-holiday-trade/556803/

« Reply #316 on: October 05, 2023, 12:11:19 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 744
If this team stays healthy.....

If this team stays healthy ........... we still have an incompetent head coach.

Who coached his team to top 2 offensive and defensive rating. Who won more regular season games than any other Celtic coach (Doc, Brad, Ime) since 2009, who took us to one game short of reaching the NBA Finals, largely because his best player sprained his ankle and his 2nd best player had his worst game ever.  That coach???

The same coach who lost games to inferior regular season opponents due to glaring game-management mistakes ?
The coach who had a roster of championship talent that had come within two games of a title the previous season and then stubbornly decided to change the entire philosophy from a defense-first priority to an emphasis on volume 3-point shooting with little concern over the quality of shot selection. That would be the coach who went away from the lineup change to a 2-big defensive unit that turned the previous season around to a smaller offense with this bizarre belief that the most important statistic in basketball is the volume of a team's 3-point attempts ? The same guy whose incompetency and ego became a major impediment to winning in the playoffs. There is such a thing as a team with enough talent to win a lot of games that has a coach who prevents them from playing up to their highest potential. That team was the 2023 Boston Celtics and that coach was Joe Mazzulla and that GM who made the incomprehensive decision to bring him back was Brad Stevens.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #317 on: October 05, 2023, 12:15:23 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
If this team stays healthy.....

If this team stays healthy ........... we still have an incompetent head coach.

Who coached his team to top 2 offensive and defensive rating. Who won more regular season games than any other Celtic coach (Doc, Brad, Ime) since 2009, who took us to one game short of reaching the NBA Finals, largely because his best player sprained his ankle and his 2nd best player had his worst game ever.  That coach???

The same coach who lost games to inferior regular season opponents due to glaring game-management mistakes ?
The coach who had a roster of championship talent that had come within two games of a title the previous season and then stubbornly decided to change the entire philosophy from a defense-first priority to an emphasis on volume 3-point shooting with little concern over the quality of shot selection. That would be the coach who went away from the lineup change to a 2-big defensive unit that turned the previous season around to a smaller offense with this bizarre belief that the most important statistic in basketball is the volume of a team's 3-point attempts ? The same guy whose incompetency and ego became a major impediment to winning in the playoffs. There is such a thing as a team with enough talent to win a lot of games that has a coach who prevents them from playing up to their highest potential. That team was the 2023 Boston Celtics and that coach was Joe Mazzulla and that GM who made the incomprehensive decision to bring him back was Brad Stevens.

The coach who won more games than any Celtics coach in the past 15 years.
The coach who came within 5 games of a championship in his first year.
The coach whose team had the best shot quality last year (https://shotquality.com/team-standings/nba).

« Reply #318 on: October 05, 2023, 12:56:53 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1503
Having just watched the intro press conf for Jrue, I can say I am so excited about him joining the Celtics.
I hated losing Smart and Timelord, but I think Jrue has a calmness and determination that will really meld with with the J's and Al and the rest of the team. 

The front office guys were obviously over the moon after the effort and intensity of that first practice with Jrue.  I can't wait to see what this team can do.  We have the best starting 5 in the NBA, and we have a bunch of really hungry young guys at the end of the roster that are going to be fun to watch as well.

« Reply #319 on: October 05, 2023, 06:18:25 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1214
Having just watched the intro press conf for Jrue, I can say I am so excited about him joining the Celtics.
I hated losing Smart and Timelord, but I think Jrue has a calmness and determination that will really meld with with the J's and Al and the rest of the team. 

The front office guys were obviously over the moon after the effort and intensity of that first practice with Jrue.  I can't wait to see what this team can do.  We have the best starting 5 in the NBA, and we have a bunch of really hungry young guys at the end of the roster that are going to be fun to watch as well.

100%. And the craziest part is that we can say that despite not really knowing who the 5th started will be. Horford and White are both insanely talented for a 5th starter/6th man
I'm bitter.

« Reply #320 on: October 05, 2023, 07:13:57 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
Just read bout holiday’s wife on saying how crush she was after learning the trade..said she city of Milwaukee & kids started school there plus they have a house there also..us fans always wants trades or want someone gone but for the families it’s very hard to uproot ur family & move & start a new life there..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #321 on: October 05, 2023, 07:35:26 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Just read bout holiday’s wife on saying how crush she was after learning the trade..said she city of Milwaukee & kids started school there plus they have a house there also..us fans always wants trades or want someone gone but for the families it’s very hard to uproot ur family & move & start a new life there..

Yes, athletes are incredibly blessed with wealth, but they're still husbands and fathers.  It's why I can't be too upset at Brogdon for being angry when he was nearly traded.  Even in a business, it's hard to be kept in the dark, or even misled, and then get sent across the country on a moment's notice.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #322 on: October 05, 2023, 08:52:33 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86

I guess it really hit me yesterday that Brad's maneuvers since the end of last season have lead to HALF of our core players being no longer with the Celtics.

Grant
Smart
Williams
Brogdon

Tatum
Brown
White
Horford

Yes, we still have Hauser, Pritchard, and Kornet. But they weren't part of our core.

So we literally only have four remaining players from that Gang of Eight. We've replaced 50% of our core with:

Porzingis
Holiday

Those two are arguably the best players in this deal (I guess getting Porzingis and two 1st rounders for Smart, maybe that makes Marcus "better" in trade value but I value Porzingis more right now).

Since these three events happened over the course of many months, they were almost like a "death by a thousand cuts" scenario as opposed to a beheading.

But we truly have half of a new team this year.  An almost complete reset. 

Wow!

« Reply #323 on: October 05, 2023, 09:22:28 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Am I crazy to think Jrue to Boston might be a little bigger than Lillard to Bucks? Lillard is the better player for sure, but Jrue in Boston feels like a much better fit, and also Jrue can at least play some defense while Lillard is a scoring PG with a high usage rate (Giannis also has a high usage rate)

We'll see.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #324 on: October 05, 2023, 09:26:13 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1214
Am I crazy to think Jrue to Boston might be a little bigger than Lillard to Bucks? Lillard is the better player for sure, but Jrue in Boston feels like a much better fit, and also Jrue can at least play some defense while Lillard is a scoring PG with a high usage rate (Giannis also has a high usage rate)

We'll see.

It looks like you aren't the only one that feels that way:

I saw this last night on NBC Sports Boston where they referenced the following from Zach Lowe:

"I got texts from a couple of non-partisan front office executives ... that were in the vein of, 'This is what I worried about for the Bucks when they made the Lillard trade: that Boston would come in and get Jrue Holiday, and that the Bucks ... may have inadvertently helped their biggest rival more than they realized they did -- and maybe more than they helped themselves,'" Lowe said Monday on "The Lowe Post" podcast.

"I heard from a couple of front office executives from good Eastern Conference teams, and the texts that I received in the immediate wake of the trade were two and three words long, to the tone of, 'Well f--- us,' or 'Oof, this sucks.'"

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nba/boston-celtics/celtics-fans-will-love-nba-execs-reactions-jrue-holiday-trade/556803/
I'm bitter.

« Reply #325 on: October 05, 2023, 09:27:23 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!

We'll see.

It looks like you aren't the only one that feels that way:

Sweet! I'll now be applying to become a national media NBA analyst  8)

« Reply #326 on: October 05, 2023, 10:00:31 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 708
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Interesting that Lowe says the Celtics love Kornet as a regular season rotation player who can spell Al when needed.

« Reply #327 on: October 05, 2023, 10:03:25 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be
In case anyone is curious, Jrue road jerseys are up on the the Celtics store now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #328 on: October 05, 2023, 10:06:42 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!
In case anyone is curious, Jrue road jerseys are up on the the Celtics store now.

I feel like it'd be an awesome shirt/jersey to wear during actual Holiday seasons (like Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.)  :laugh:

« Reply #329 on: October 05, 2023, 10:21:26 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Sweet.  I've gotten my kids jerseys lately, but this will be the first one I buy for myself in years.

I was also planning on skipping a trip to Boston this year, but I'll be getting tickets.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes