Author Topic: Tacko Fall(merged threads)  (Read 42644 times)

Re: Tacko Fall
« Reply #210 on: July 09, 2019, 07:28:51 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't know all the details, but it is my understanding that the contract is a one year, non-guaranteed, minimum deal that can be converted to a two way contract. I'm not sure if he can opt out on his own.
It’s guaranteed for 10 games, I think (including SL). He also has a 50K kicker coming IF he gets cut and signs up with the Red Claws. This way they can keep an eye on him, but do not actually control him.

This is largely incorrect.

1) It is not guaranteed at all.
2) He is under contract with the C’s for the season.  They can cut him at any time, but if they wish to keep him this season on the 15-man roster all they need to do is cut someone else instead.
3) As an alternative to keeping him on the 15-man roster, they can convert his contract to a two-way contract at any time before the season begins.  Two-way contracts can be converted to minimum salary NBA deals, so could convert him to a 2-way after training camp and then convert him back to an NBA deal later (for example, if they have open roster spots after a trade).
4) If he’s released after training camp he has a $50k incentive to go to Maine as opposed to overseas.  He would be free to sign with any other team at any time, however.
I appreciate points 1, 2 and 3, I wasn't aware.  However, point 4 is NOT largely incorrect; it is exactly what I was saying and is the most important point of all. Expect him to take the 50K and "stay in the neighborhood" even if another team snatches him.

I said largely incorrect because you had most of point 4 correct, but were missing 1-3, which describe both his guarantee (which is non-existent and summer league never counts towards any guarantee ever, by rule) and the ways in which the Celtics can keep him, which the OP had a correct idea about and you contradicted, or at least seemed to. I didn’t say wholly incorrect, because you weren’t, but even your last point just now “expect him to stay in the neighborhood even if another team snatches him” is also somewhat incorrect.  If he is claimed by/signs with another team, as can happen per my point 4, he would not get a $50k bonus from the C’s if that happens before he spends 60 days in Maine.

Re: Tacko Fall(merged threads)
« Reply #211 on: July 09, 2019, 09:06:53 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I rewatched the highlights from the past 2 games. I found another amazing statline: opponents only scored 3 times in the paint against him in 2 games.

There some possessions where opponents score on him. But those were either free throws, weakside help or killing him from outside the paint.

« Reply #212 on: July 09, 2019, 01:59:51 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
May have been mentioned already, but one thing I like about him on offense is that he usually keeps the ball high on the catch.  He doesn't bring the ball down, which would be a terrible mistake for him.

The rebounding isn't great.  When people talk about his mobility, I think this is the biggest area where it shows up.  He is not terrible, but he was not elite in college and I believe it's due to his reaction speed.  That said, he is a really really intriguing prospect.

« Reply #213 on: July 09, 2019, 02:16:23 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Fall and Roby were my draft binkies this year. We got one. I think Tacko is already a situational NBA player, meaning he can play in certain situations. He can play in end of quarter out of bounds plays. End of games when you really need a rebound. Jump ball at the beginning of a game. Set defensive situations that happen all the time in the playoffs. His size just changes the game when is on the floor.

« Reply #214 on: July 09, 2019, 03:23:37 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I walked up to Austin Ainge yesterday and said "I think the fans want you to keep Tacko"...he said "Absolutely".
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #215 on: July 09, 2019, 03:51:22 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I said this in the SL game thread, but he belongs on the roster.

The reality is that human beings like him are super rare.  Add to that the fact that Tacko is clearly impacting the game when he is on the court.  The whole dynamic changes.

Maybe that is not the case with the elite talents in the NBA, but the average ones?  I gotta believe he will scare them a bit.

I can see so many more uses for Tacko than Yabusele or Wannamaker.  Put Tacko on the team.

« Reply #216 on: July 12, 2019, 01:51:44 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

« Reply #217 on: July 12, 2019, 02:11:33 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I walked up to Austin Ainge yesterday and said "I think the fans want you to keep Tacko"...he said "Absolutely".

TP.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #218 on: July 12, 2019, 03:45:27 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

TP.

As the 15th guy or even as a 2 way, there's no way heisn't beneficial to the team. He will at least help with a couple of merchandise sales and promotions.

« Reply #219 on: July 12, 2019, 04:07:16 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo

TP.

As the 15th guy or even as a 2 way, there's no way heisn't beneficial to the team. He will at least help with a couple of merchandise sales and promotions.

I think there a little argument about that base position. I would think the issue now, is really whether to go for a 2-way, or an active roster spot. By my count there are 13 guys on the active roster. I think Edwards has probably played himself into a spot. Maybe Tacko gets the last one or a vet (Faried is still available), and the other two-way will go to Green or Strus, or Tacko if we do go down the vet road for the last active spot.

« Reply #220 on: July 12, 2019, 04:11:42 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

TP.

I think there a little argument about that base position. I would think the issue now, is really whether to go for a 2-way, or an active roster spot. By my count there are 13 guys on the active roster. I think Edwards has probably played himself into a spot. Maybe Tacko gets the last one or a vet (Faried is still available), and the other two-way will go to Green or Strus, or Tacko if we do go down the vet road for the last active spot.
Strus and Waters have already signed two way contracts. If Tacko or Green outplays one of them it would be easy enough to cut one of Strus or Waters to add another player instead. But, as of now, the 2 spots for two way contracts are filled.

« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2019, 11:54:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Danny Ainge on with
@NBCSBoston
 on Tacko Fall: "I think Tacko's gonna have a chance to make the roster. We'll see." #Celtics

https://mobile.twitter.com/adammkaufman/status/1151545005380636672?s=21

« Reply #222 on: July 18, 2019, 12:09:48 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
Danny Ainge on with
@NBCSBoston
 on Tacko Fall: "I think Tacko's gonna have a chance to make the roster. We'll see." #Celtics

https://mobile.twitter.com/adammkaufman/status/1151545005380636672?s=21

Ugh, "make the roster"? Just pay him all our money now. Sheesh.

« Reply #223 on: October 10, 2019, 11:14:21 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Is it absolutely crazy of me to think that Tacko Fall is a player?

Generally, I'm not a hype man. I wasn't a believer in Fall in college or the draft process.

Summer league made me pay attention to him, but I still knew that he was playing against scrubs, not NBA talent.

Seeing him play against the Hornets, I came away impressed. Not HOF impressed, but legit NBA player impressed. I never really felt that way about Yabu, even though I wanted to.

He can move and he has good hands. He is active. He makes plays. He's not passive. Stuff happens when he plays.

« Reply #224 on: October 10, 2019, 11:26:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is it absolutely crazy of me to think that Tacko Fall is a player?

Generally, I'm not a hype man. I wasn't a believer in Fall in college or the draft process.

Summer league made me pay attention to him, but I still knew that he was playing against scrubs, not NBA talent.

Seeing him play against the Hornets, I came away impressed. Not HOF impressed, but legit NBA player impressed. I never really felt that way about Yabu, even though I wanted to.

He can move and he has good hands. He is active. He makes plays. He's not passive. Stuff happens when he plays.
He was still playing against scrubs. He played most of his minutes against one of the worst teams in the leagues scrubs. Here is who Tacko was playing against:

P. J. Washington
Kobe Simmons
Ahmed Hill
Caleb Martin
Robert Franks.

None of these guys have played in an NBA game and some of them never will.