Author Topic: Worst Celtics Trade - nominations  (Read 19303 times)

Re: Worst Celtics Trade - nominations
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 10:32:46 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
DIdn't Pittino trade like the 8th pick, which became Andre Miller for Vitaly Potapenko?

Not sure about the number of the pick, but yeah, this was a horrendous one.  To me, this one is the least redeemable of all of the trades over the last 15 years or so.

The traded was Andrew DeClerq + #1 for Potapenko.  That #1 turned out to be the 8th pick in the draft.  Players available included Andre Miller, Shaun Marion, Jason Terry, Corey Maggette, Ron Artest, James Posey, Andrei Kirilenko, and, if you want to be completely unfair, Manu Ginobili.

Forgot about DeClerq.  I loved that guy too.  I just remember the way they sold the trade was "we need to get stronger, and Potapenko is the strongest guy in the league".  In other words, they traded a lottery pick for a guy, based on the amount he benches.

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 11:32:54 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Chauncy Billups for Kenny Anderson in hindsight was not good (though it did take several more years and teams for Chauncy to really develop).  Although technically not a 3 team trade, it basically was because Portland traded Kenny Anderson to Toronto but Kenny refused to play there so he then got traded to Boston.  So essentially a 3-team, 3-point guard trade in '97 involving Kenny Anderson, Chauncy Billups, and Damon Stoudamire, and from '97 on I think Kenny easily had the worst career of the three.  Billups was a good trade chip that we should have gotten more for.

I also have to disagree with the Billups/Anderson deal.  That was a good deal for the C's because Billups took way too long to develop and Anderson was able to rein in Antoine to an extent.  Provided a good veteran leader at the point.

I shudder to think that was how Antoine played when he was reined in lol.

But the thing is we only got one good year out of Kenny in my opinion, and that was '99-'00.  When he was traded to the C's in '98, he played 16 of 30 possible games, in '99 he played 34 of 50 games, then his good year in 2000 when he played all 82, then he only played 33 games in '01 and after that he was done as far as being a good player in my opinion.  Converting '98 and '99 to 82 games seasons, it's like he played 44, 56, 82, and 33 games for us.  That wasn't good value for the recent #3 pick, at least they should have made Toronto throw in their recent #8 pick, a young Tracy McGrady (ok maybe this part is wishful thinking, but much worse deals regularly happen ;))   

While the trade probably wouldn't have gone down this way if Kenny didn't force the Raptors to trade him, theoretically we could have just traded Chauncey Billups for Damon Stoudamire (since that's who the Raptors ended up with in the end).  That would have been much better value in my opinion (of course Damon got a huge contract from Portland, would the Celtics give him the same deal?  That wouldn't be good for the Celtics in the long run as Damon didn't live up to the contract, but he probably would have done better in Boston than Portland being able to put up better numbers on a weaker team, Antoine, Pierce, Stoudamire (and Mercer!) would have formed a better core, fun to think about at least).
Billups for Stoudemire would have worked.  He was good early in his career and then faded as opposed to Billups who took a while to develop.

I think Kenny was valuable from a perspective that Antoine always wanted the ball but Kenny controlled that to some extent.  Kenny was the ballhandling guard that team desperately needed and he could still score decently at that time.  Without Kenny, they don't have any chance of getting into the playoffs at that time.

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 11:43:14 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
the perk trade i now some may & will agree but i cant remember how 1 trade changed the whole season alone

About half (give or take a player) of our team was injured, Perk included. In hindsight it *might* have been a bad trade but at the time it gave us some breathing room, IMO. I am still confident that Jeff Green will play a big part in another run at #18. Only time will tell.

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 03:07:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
DIdn't Pittino trade like the 8th pick, which became Andre Miller for Vitaly Potapenko?

Not sure about the number of the pick, but yeah, this was a horrendous one.  To me, this one is the least redeemable of all of the trades over the last 15 years or so.

The traded was Andrew DeClerq + #1 for Potapenko.  That #1 turned out to be the 8th pick in the draft.  Players available included Andre Miller, Shaun Marion, Jason Terry, Corey Maggette, Ron Artest, James Posey, Andrei Kirilenko, and, if you want to be completely unfair, Manu Ginobili.
I love being unfair. There's nothing fair about the draft. We coulda had MANU!

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 03:26:42 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

I love being unfair. There's nothing fair about the draft. We coulda had MANU!

Actually, we could have had anybody Roy mentioned PLUS Manu.

We drafted Kris Clack at #55, Manu was drafted #57.  Ouch.
Just think what could have been with that #8 and #55 pick.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 03:33:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Not sure about the number of the pick, but yeah, this was a horrendous one.  To me, this one is the least redeemable of all of the trades over the last 15 years or so.

The traded was Andrew DeClerq + #1 for Potapenko.  That #1 turned out to be the 8th pick in the draft.  Players available included Andre Miller, Shaun Marion, Jason Terry, Corey Maggette, Ron Artest, James Posey, Andrei Kirilenko, and, if you want to be completely unfair, Manu Ginobili.

Forgot about DeClerq.  I loved that guy too.  I just remember the way they sold the trade was "we need to get stronger, and Potapenko is the strongest guy in the league".  In other words, they traded a lottery pick for a guy, based on the amount he benches.
Somehow every Pittino quote I ever read or hear still enrages me.

Rick Pittino, Bill Callahan, and Dave Wannstedt are my Mt. Rushmore of hated head coaches of teams that I follow and love.

I don't have a fourth just yet, but I will eventually I'm sure.

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 03:39:38 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Not sure about the number of the pick, but yeah, this was a horrendous one.  To me, this one is the least redeemable of all of the trades over the last 15 years or so.

The traded was Andrew DeClerq + #1 for Potapenko.  That #1 turned out to be the 8th pick in the draft.  Players available included Andre Miller, Shaun Marion, Jason Terry, Corey Maggette, Ron Artest, James Posey, Andrei Kirilenko, and, if you want to be completely unfair, Manu Ginobili.

Forgot about DeClerq.  I loved that guy too.  I just remember the way they sold the trade was "we need to get stronger, and Potapenko is the strongest guy in the league".  In other words, they traded a lottery pick for a guy, based on the amount he benches.

Rick Pittino, Bill Callahan, and Dave Wannstedt are my Mt. Rushmore of hated head coaches of teams that I follow and love.

Bill Callahan?

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 03:43:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Bill Callahan?

I, like Roy Hobbs, am a Nebraska College Football fan and also a Chicago Bears fan.

So yeah Bill Callahan was beyond awful in his four years at NE, complete jerk about the community, traditions, and all that. Plus the worst sin of all, he was a terrible head coach. Much the same for Wanny and his blame the punter fetish.

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Bill Callahan?

I, like Roy Hobbs, am a Nebraska College Football fan and also a Chicago Bears fan.

So yeah Bill Callahan was beyond awful in his four years at NE, complete jerk about the community, traditions, and all that. Plus the worst sin of all, he was a terrible head coach. Much the same for Wanny and his blame the punter fetish.

I used to like Nebraska when I was younger. Johnny Rodgers was there when I started watching them, he was truly amazing.

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 03:52:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I used to like Nebraska when I was younger. Johnny Rodgers was there when I started watching them, he was truly amazing.

I've lived in Omaha my entire life except for 4 years of college in Pittsburgh, so they've always been my team.

First football memories involve Tommy Fraizer, loved watching him play.

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Joe Johnson for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk.

While those players worked out well for us in the short term, we could have traded Kedrick Brown instead of Joe Johnson.

Just think if Pierce could have had Joe Johnson for all that time as a side kick... We might have been able to form a big three with Pierce a lot earlier.

I believe that trade also had us parting ways with Randy Brown, which I was NOT a fan of.

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 04:29:08 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Thinking of the dark years (pitino)...what was the best trade he had?  Not a trade that someone else ended up making into a better deal.  What was the best trade old look at me rick did?

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 04:31:03 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
It was a bad trade, but I did actually enjoy watching Kenny Anderson play. I'm nearly 28, and he was the first pure point guard I got to see play for the green. He had some terrible habits, but I'd never seen someone with that kind of handle and flash.

Another worst move: Didn't Pitino cut/waive David Wesley?

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 04:36:45 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
It was a bad trade, but I did actually enjoy watching Kenny Anderson play. I'm nearly 28, and he was the first pure point guard I got to see play for the green. He had some terrible habits, but I'd never seen someone with that kind of handle and flash.

I think it was Fox, wesley I seem to remember left for FA (too smart to hang around)

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 04:40:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I think it was Fox, wesley I seem to remember left for FA (too smart to hang around)

West walked in free agency.  Fox did as well, although his Bird Rights were first renounced, so Pitino could sign Travis Knight I believe.

As for the Anderson trade, I am semi-ok with that.  He really did give the C's some good years, and Billups did take a while to develop, even after the trade.  It wasn't a good deal, but it was semi-defensible.