Author Topic: Worst Celtics Trade - nominations  (Read 19304 times)

Worst Celtics Trade - nominations
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:33:24 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
what are some options for the worst trade in Celtics history?  possibly for a front page poll/article

thanks
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: Worst Celtics Trade - nominations
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:31:42 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
DIdn't Pittino trade like the 8th pick, which became Andre Miller for Vitaly Potapenko?

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:45:27 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Joe Johnson for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk.

While those players worked out well for us in the short term, we could have traded Kedrick Brown instead of Joe Johnson.

Just think if Pierce could have had Joe Johnson for all that time as a side kick... We might have been able to form a big three with Pierce a lot earlier.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 12:14:46 AM »

Offline stylo617617

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
the perk trade i now some may & will agree but i cant remember how 1 trade changed the whole season alone

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:22:21 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Will Solomon for a 2nd round pick.  All I gotta say is that 2014 2nd round pick from the Kings better be pretty darn good.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 12:26:37 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
the perk trade i now some may & will agree but i cant remember how 1 trade changed the whole season alone

We need to see what we do with that Clippers Pick before we say it was the worst Celtic Trade ever in my opinion.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 12:37:29 AM »

Offline wil

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 88
Joe Johnson for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk.

While those players worked out well for us in the short term, we could have traded Kedrick Brown instead of Joe Johnson.

Just think if Pierce could have had Joe Johnson for all that time as a side kick... We might have been able to form a big three with Pierce a lot earlier.

I say it has to be this one (in my lifetime, anyways).  Losing Joe Johnson for such a short term upgrade (they didn't even resign RR) hurts a lot, but the Brown thing is really the knife in the stomach.  Has that rumor ever been verified?  It's so hard to believe.  I feel like everyone knew Joe Johnson was going to be better all along. 

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 12:55:32 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
Chauncy Billups for Kenny Anderson in hindsight was not good (though it did take several more years and teams for Chauncy to really develop).  Although technically not a 3 team trade, it basically was because Portland traded Kenny Anderson to Toronto but Kenny refused to play there so he then got traded to Boston.  So essentially a 3-team, 3-point guard trade in '97 involving Kenny Anderson, Chauncy Billups, and Damon Stoudamire, and from '97 on I think Kenny easily had the worst career of the three.  Billups was a good trade chip that we should have gotten more for.

Eric Williams for two 2nd round picks after 2 really good seasons with the C's?  That one still bothers me.

Joe Johnson's worth mentioning again, like Billups gave him away way too early, and for too little (although I was a big Rodney Rogers fan when he was here).

Trading away Sherman Douglas, who was the catalyst for the '95 playoff run (granted the team only won 35 games and lost in the 1st round, but 3 of the 4 playoff games went right down to the wire) for Todd Day was a mistake.  Hey I understand the team just signed 5'11" Dana Barros and had 6'1" Dee Brown and young  6'0" David Wesley was looking promising and you don't really need four 6' guards on your team, but Sherman Douglas was the general the young Celtics needed.

Whether you love him or hate, you gotta admit Antoine for Raef (essentially) was like getting 10 cents on the dollar (although we did get a pick that ended up being Delonte so that evens it out a little).  Actually to me, most of the mid-90's to mid-00's trades seem like we were getting back pennies on the dollar.  Not a good time.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 01:09:50 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

If that's the worst trade in Celtics history i'm so happy to be a Celtic fan.

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 06:48:09 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Paul Westphal for charlie scott (if memory serves me)

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 07:21:26 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Joe Johnson for those 2 bums.
He was starting to get good.
We could have had Joe at the two and Pierce at the three spot for a looooong time as a nice tandem.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 08:53:24 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Chauncy Billups for Kenny Anderson in hindsight was not good (though it did take several more years and teams for Chauncy to really develop).  Although technically not a 3 team trade, it basically was because Portland traded Kenny Anderson to Toronto but Kenny refused to play there so he then got traded to Boston.  So essentially a 3-team, 3-point guard trade in '97 involving Kenny Anderson, Chauncy Billups, and Damon Stoudamire, and from '97 on I think Kenny easily had the worst career of the three.  Billups was a good trade chip that we should have gotten more for.

Eric Williams for two 2nd round picks after 2 really good seasons with the C's?  That one still bothers me.

Joe Johnson's worth mentioning again, like Billups gave him away way too early, and for too little (although I was a big Rodney Rogers fan when he was here).

Trading away Sherman Douglas, who was the catalyst for the '95 playoff run (granted the team only won 35 games and lost in the 1st round, but 3 of the 4 playoff games went right down to the wire) for Todd Day was a mistake.  Hey I understand the team just signed 5'11" Dana Barros and had 6'1" Dee Brown and young  6'0" David Wesley was looking promising and you don't really need four 6' guards on your team, but Sherman Douglas was the general the young Celtics needed.

Whether you love him or hate, you gotta admit Antoine for Raef (essentially) was like getting 10 cents on the dollar (although we did get a pick that ended up being Delonte so that evens it out a little).  Actually to me, most of the mid-90's to mid-00's trades seem like we were getting back pennies on the dollar.  Not a good time.
Some nice options there but have to disagree, to some extent, with the JJ trade.  I agree it was a bad deal because JJ clearly looked better than Kedrick that year (JJ just hit the rookie wall) but it really turned into a bad deal when they didn't resign Rogers to be the third scoring option with Toine and PP.  That 'forced' the trade for Vin Baker which really sucked.  To me, it wasn't that the trade itself was horrendous, just the mismanagement afterwards.  The deal was just plain bad.

I also have to disagree with the Billups/Anderson deal.  That was a good deal for the C's because Billups took way too long to develop and Anderson was able to rein in Antoine to an extent.  Provided a good veteran leader at the point.

I think I have to go with the first Antoine trade as the worst.  Got pennies on the dollar as you mentioned.

One other I noticed hadn't been mentioned was the Ainge for Joe Kleine and Ed Pinckney deal.  Those 2 added bodies to the frontcourt but they just couldn't produce.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 10:04:16 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
Chauncy Billups for Kenny Anderson in hindsight was not good (though it did take several more years and teams for Chauncy to really develop).  Although technically not a 3 team trade, it basically was because Portland traded Kenny Anderson to Toronto but Kenny refused to play there so he then got traded to Boston.  So essentially a 3-team, 3-point guard trade in '97 involving Kenny Anderson, Chauncy Billups, and Damon Stoudamire, and from '97 on I think Kenny easily had the worst career of the three.  Billups was a good trade chip that we should have gotten more for.

I also have to disagree with the Billups/Anderson deal.  That was a good deal for the C's because Billups took way too long to develop and Anderson was able to rein in Antoine to an extent.  Provided a good veteran leader at the point.

I shudder to think that was how Antoine played when he was reined in lol.

But the thing is we only got one good year out of Kenny in my opinion, and that was '99-'00.  When he was traded to the C's in '98, he played 16 of 30 possible games, in '99 he played 34 of 50 games, then his good year in 2000 when he played all 82, then he only played 33 games in '01 and after that he was done as far as being a good player in my opinion.  Converting '98 and '99 to 82 games seasons, it's like he played 44, 56, 82, and 33 games for us.  That wasn't good value for the recent #3 pick, at least they should have made Toronto throw in their recent #8 pick, a young Tracy McGrady (ok maybe this part is wishful thinking, but much worse deals regularly happen ;))   

While the trade probably wouldn't have gone down this way if Kenny didn't force the Raptors to trade him, theoretically we could have just traded Chauncey Billups for Damon Stoudamire (since that's who the Raptors ended up with in the end).  That would have been much better value in my opinion (of course Damon got a huge contract from Portland, would the Celtics give him the same deal?  That wouldn't be good for the Celtics in the long run as Damon didn't live up to the contract, but he probably would have done better in Boston than Portland being able to put up better numbers on a weaker team, Antoine, Pierce, Stoudamire (and Mercer!) would have formed a better core, fun to think about at least).

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 10:15:29 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
DIdn't Pittino trade like the 8th pick, which became Andre Miller for Vitaly Potapenko?

Not sure about the number of the pick, but yeah, this was a horrendous one.  To me, this one is the least redeemable of all of the trades over the last 15 years or so.

The Joe Johnson one is tough, but IMO, that trade had a lot to do with the C's making it to the conference finals, so it lessens the blow.

The Antoine trade also can be connected pretty directly to the C's getting KG (Lafrentz' contract ultimately became KG), Ray (West was part of that deal), and Rondo (C's traded Welsh for a first round pick, which they later traded for Rondo).  So, that redeems it at least a little bit.

But there is really nothing redeemable of trading a lottery pick for Vitaly Potapenko.

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 10:29:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Not sure about the number of the pick, but yeah, this was a horrendous one.  To me, this one is the least redeemable of all of the trades over the last 15 years or so.

The traded was Andrew DeClerq + #1 for Potapenko.  That #1 turned out to be the 8th pick in the draft.  Players available included Andre Miller, Shaun Marion, Jason Terry, Corey Maggette, Ron Artest, James Posey, Andrei Kirilenko, and, if you want to be completely unfair, Manu Ginobili.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes