Author Topic: GSW will trade # 6 pick if they can get rid of Monta Ellis (Chad Ford)  (Read 14762 times)

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Monta's defense scares the heck out of me(mostly responsible for that Jennings 55 pt performance I'm pretty sure), but he's definitely someone that you wouldn't mind in a salary dump because of how elite he is offensively. Especially if you are getting a lottery pick along with him that you feel will be a star.

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Celtics don't have the assets to trade into the top 6 or 7 picks.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Monta's defense scares the heck out of me(mostly responsible for that Jennings 55 pt performance I'm pretty sure), but he's definitely someone that you wouldn't mind in a salary dump because of how elite he is offensively. Especially if you are getting a lottery pick along with him that you feel will be a star.

Gotta play devil's advocate here. There's plenty of reason to worry about Ellis' defense, but on the flip side, it takes a whole teams' [lack of] effort to give up a 55 point game. Additionally, and I don't mean this facetiously, Jennings was mostly responsible for that game. 7-8 for three, i don't care if every one of them is wide open, that's hard to do.

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Whoever is doing this deal isn't going to have to give up a ton. This is a pure salary dump on Golden State's part. Their owner is in hot water with the IRS and he has to sell the team fairly quickly or show that is is a decent size profit maker or else. So he's not going to want to pay first round picks guaranteed money and he's going to want as much payroll coming off his books as possible.

Rasheed(who then retires) and Baby for Ellis and the #6 works.

Boston is paid the #6 pick for taking Ellis' salary off the Warriors' hands and GS lowers their 2010-11 payroll by $10.5 million(paying Ellis and the #6 pick = $13.5 million, paying Baby = $3 million).

Boston then uses the 6th on a future big man, trade the 19th pick for two lower picks and get a defensive SF and a scoring SG and they could be quite a ways forward towards having a future.

Yeah, pipe dream. But I like pipes.

I like pipes too. Got 29 of them. This would be a great deal. Doubt it will happen, but between now and then, it's certainly fun to think about.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

What assets did Portland have when they traded up  to get Roy? Telfair and expirings? We could probably come close to matching that.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

What assets did Portland have when they traded up  to get Roy? Telfair and expirings? We could probably come close to matching that.

The problem is, unless they are sure Sheed is retiring, we don't have any big expiring contracts to trade.

Not to mention, the C's owners do not have as deep pockets as the Blazers do to pay dead money.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

The problem is, unless they are sure Sheed is retiring, we don't have any big expiring contracts to trade.

Not to mention, the C's owners do not have as deep pockets as the Blazers do to pay dead money.

Agree about Sheed, but Ainge said that he was telling people he was probably done before the regular season ended.  And Ellis is probably buyer's remorse, but I wouldn't call his contract dead money.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Agree about Sheed, but Ainge said that he was telling people he was probably done before the regular season ended.  And Ellis is probably buyer's remorse, but I wouldn't call his contract dead money.

Sorry, I didn't make the connection of Ellis here, I thought you were talking about the C's trading for a contract similar to Raef's, in order to get a lottery pick.

I don't think this is a similar situation, because I think Ellis has a good deal of value himself, and will not be sold off with a pick just for cap relief. 

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I really only like the Ellis deal if the C's can somehow do it without giving up Baby.  And it's not because I value Baby all that much, I don't really think he'll be a big part of the rebuilding process.  However, I'm not sure Monta Ellis will be absolutely amazing for us either in the long term. 

However, if the C's could somehow put together a package of Rasheed's expiring deal and a resigned Tony Allen and not even get the #6 pick back, it might be worth it because it'd give us a shot at #18 next year.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Sorry, I didn't make the connection of Ellis here, I thought you were talking about the C's trading for a contract similar to Raef's, in order to get a lottery pick.

I don't think this is a similar situation, because I think Ellis has a good deal of value himself, and will not be sold off with a pick just for cap relief. 

My point was it doesn't always take a lot of ammo to move up. I depends on how badly the Warriors want to get rid of Ellis.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

My point was it doesn't always take a lot of ammo to move up. I depends on how badly the Warriors want to get rid of Ellis.

Right, and I was agreeing with that point.  I just don't agree that the Warriors are that desperate to get rid of Ellis (just like I didn't think they were at the trade deadline).

I think the C's could absolutely move up by taking an actual bad contract (not just someone who is a bad fit but it productive like Ellis), if Sheed is in fact retiring. 

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
If this is possible, you need to do as Sugarhill Gang says and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWiqnPIxIdM

Seriously.  We need to start thinking of our future.  Here, there might be an opportunity to build for the future with the #6 pick, without terribly selling any assets, just taking on a contract.  We stay competitive now and have a good foundation for the future.

I'm on board for

#6 + Ellis

for any salary matching combination of:

#19 pick, Sheed, BBD, Perk, future first

If we can get Turiaf back too, great, get him.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If this is possible, you need to do as Sugarhill Gang says and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWiqnPIxIdM

Seriously.  We need to start thinking of our future.  Here, there might be an opportunity to build for the future with the #6 pick, without terribly selling any assets, just taking on a contract.  We stay competitive now and have a good foundation for the future.

I'm on board for

#6 + Ellis

for any salary matching combination of:

#19 pick, Sheed, BBD, Perk, future first

If we can get Turiaf back too, great, get him.
The rumor said that they are giving away the 6th pick so someone will take Ellis. I don't think there would be any need for us to give up a pick.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
sign me up.  i'd love to see ellis in a celtic green.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I guess my question is, what the heck is GS planning on doing next season???

They want to trade away their #6 overall pick, their 25ppg scorer for cap relief and already traded away a 20ppg scorer for 2 nobodies.

Are they really prepared to go into battle next year with Stephen Curry, Biedrins, Radmanovic, Charlie Bell, Gadzuric, Turiaf, Azubuike, Wright, Randolph, and Morrow with no first rounder?  I feel like this team could average under 80ppg and easily be worse than last year's Nets.  Shut down Curry and who scores?  Equally importantly, who buys tickets to see this bunch play?

Curry
Azubuike
Morrow
Radmanovic/Turiaf/Wright
Biedrins

That's their starting 5.  :-X  And they still won't even have much money to go after a free agent... and who's going to want to play there?  Only somebody wildly overpaid.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur