Author Topic: idea: Baby and 19th pick for Beasley  (Read 12830 times)

Re: idea: Baby and 19th pick for Beasley
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2010, 07:05:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Beasley could be a 20 PPG guy right now with a little coaching and 35 minutes per night.
Could be, should be, would be... Enough with that!

Beasly plays no defense, refuses to show up when it matters, and will forever be stuck between position in the NBA.

Many players can be 20 ppg guys given 35 minutes a game -- and there is a very, very good reason why they actually _don't_ play 35 minutes a game.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2010, 07:20:16 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Even though I really like Big Baby, and I'm not so sure I "like" Beasley.. I think you make that trade. Beasley could be a 20 PPG guy right now with a little coaching and 35 minutes per night. If he's a good kid, get him in here while KG, Perk and Clifford Ray are all still here to mold him.

What worries me, is how does he get that opportunity on this team? If we're not blowing things up, where does he play? Kid needs minutes to work things out, not as a bench player.

However great Doc's been in his 6 years here, he's not suited to holding back on the vets for the sake of the youngsters--so McHale may actually be the better coach for next year.

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2010, 07:21:51 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Somebody mentioned Anthony Randolph.   If he is on the trading block I would much rather go after him. 

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2010, 07:38:25 PM »

Offline jasail

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 24
Here is a question, would you be willing to risk a late first round draft pick for a 21 yo player with some character issues but good upside potential? 

I imagine many posters on here would argue that being around vets like PP and KG and young no-nonsense hard workers like Rondo and Perk would be great for that player. 

If it would work for that player, why wouldn't it work for Beasley?  He has spent his early 20's in America's party capital on a team with only one vet leader. Personally, I think a change a scenery may be good for this guy.

The C's are in desperate need of a guy to build around with Rondo.  As much as I like Rondo, he alone is not going to bring a team to a championship, he needs players around him. I don't Boston getting those caliber players through a late teens early 20's draft pick, nor will they be able to get that player in FA while KG and PP are still in town. 

To that last point I worry about Boston being a landing spot in 2012; a cold weather city, high state taxes, little nightlife only able to offer Rondo and spare pieces. A guy like Beasley or Randolph could put the C's in a better position to land a max contract player come 2012.

So if Beasley is available I think you explore it.  IMO the real question is what is the right price...   

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2010, 08:43:21 PM »

Offline nora gretz

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
if all they want are expirings to get rid of beasley

trade marquis daniels &
shelden (he's done nothing but hurt us) williams to miami for beasley

and trade finley + cash & future pick (not this years) for Tyrus Thomas since Jordan doesn't want to go over the cap in signing Chandler or Tyrus

our 2nd unit would be young, athletic, long & energetic, resembling a young phoenix team that can run with rondo on the break and catch alley-oops and still make it back to play defense (Tyrus is a top shot blocker) (Beasley is a upgrade over shelden, so why not do it, theres only upside)

nate - Donkey/stretches the floor with 3pt shot/good for 10ppg
tony - great defender
beasley -stretches the floor with 3pt shot/ good for 15 ppg
tyrus - stretches the floor with 18 ft. shot/ good for 15 ppg
baby - Shrek/ good for 15 ppg

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2010, 08:54:47 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
The above post is a perfect example of an errant perception of Beasley.

Not a competitor?

Uh, no.

Nothing I've seen yet has convinced me he is.

My impression is that he's been coasting on talent ala VC.

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2010, 09:28:55 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Plus, I'm not a fan of guys with "mental issues."  Beasley stats can be measured, but his heart cannot.  I don't want players who come with more question marks than exclamation points.  I'll pass...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2010, 09:59:02 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
"He said to think about it and not just worry about the money," added Pullen, who spent a day last week in Lee Arena helping at the Bob Chipman Basketball Camp. "Think about the experiences you want to be part of, because once you make that decision it's your life. It's a job. It's not fun anymore."

per Topeka Capital-Journal,

I think this says it all.  I don't think talent or even desire is the problem with Beasley.  He was just not ready to be a pro.  Who is at age 19?  He will turn the corner I believe.  Probably a change of scenery will be part of the equation.  I really like the Sheed for Beasley idea.

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
I doubt Miami's that interested in our castoffs, or even Baby.

The guy they want is Ray Allen.

Would you rather have him or Beasley?

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2010, 11:43:29 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Beasley could be a 20 PPG guy right now with a little coaching and 35 minutes per night.
Could be, should be, would be... Enough with that!

Beasly plays no defense, refuses to show up when it matters, and will forever be stuck between position in the NBA.

Many players can be 20 ppg guys given 35 minutes a game -- and there is a very, very good reason why they actually _don't_ play 35 minutes a game.

I don't love him either. But no, there aren't many players who are 6'10", young, and capable of scoring 20 PPG.

I wouldn't sell the farm for him, but a late 1st + role player is a pretty [dang] good deal in my opinion if he has even a 50% chance of putting it all together. I think you gotta take your chances for star players, and neither BBD nor the 19th pick have much of a shot of being one.

Someone needs to carry the flame when the Big 3 are gone, and Beasley + Rondo could be a start...

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2010, 09:02:49 AM »

Offline JoeRowe23

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Yeah, I really think that Beasly will be great. Normal I wouldn't say this but we have one thing most other teams don't. A veteran core. They can mold and shape players like Rondo, Nate and BBD. this team has worked wonders. To be honest I don't blame Beasly. You come in under huge amounts of pressure to preform next to one of the leagues best scores. Your coach was techiaclly Pat Rileys flunky and everyone other then you and D-wade have role player talent. I can understand why he is where he is. some players need a different core then others. Beasly could call ours home.

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2010, 09:47:04 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
if all they want are expirings to get rid of beasley

trade marquis daniels &
shelden (he's done nothing but hurt us) williams to miami for beasley

and trade finley + cash & future pick (not this years) for Tyrus Thomas since Jordan doesn't want to go over the cap in signing Chandler or Tyrus

By my understanding of the trade rules (http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q87), teams cannot trade players with expiring contracts after the trade deadline.  In other words, players like Daniels, Shelden, Finley cannot be traded.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I can get behind a Wallace for Beasley trade.

I would also like a bigger sign and trade if Ray is looking for more then the Celtics will offer. 

A three way with Chicago.

Boston trades Ray to Miami and Wallace to Chicago

Miami trades Beasley to Boston and Jones (team options) to Chicago

Chicago trades Deng to Boston.

Miami gets Ray and drops Beasley

Chicago opens up another large cap space.

Boston get younger talent that keeps the window open next season.  Still have the player picked at 19 and the MLE to fill out the rest of the bench.  (along with resigning chances)

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2010, 10:48:05 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I wouldn't even consider trading Big Baby, but would rather him be our starting pf when KG retires. I believe he is going to become our next KG.

I like your thinking, and wish every other GM felt that way... because then I'd trade Glen Davis instead for Beasely AND Dwayne Wade!  Who wouldn't want the next KG locked up?

I think the #19 and Davis is a pretty good deal for Beasely.  While CoachBo may know him more personally than those here, there is still no way of knowing how he'd perform on this Celtics team.  The only real information we have to go off of is how he has performed in the NBA thus far, and it has been below expectation.  Could he do well in Boston?  Perhaps.  But I think to dismiss all other information out there and call it a "masterstroke" is a little too much of a superlative for me.

Still, I'd probably do the deal.  It's time to start upgrading some of our bench players to starters.  This is how teams get better.. by consolidating, not by watering down.

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2010, 10:59:25 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
I wouldn't even consider trading Big Baby, but would rather him be our starting pf when KG retires. I believe he is going to become our next KG.

I like your thinking, and wish every other GM felt that way... because then I'd trade Glen Davis instead for Beasely AND Dwayne Wade!  Who wouldn't want the next KG locked up?

I think the #19 and Davis is a pretty good deal for Beasely.  While CoachBo may know him more personally than those here, there is still no way of knowing how he'd perform on this Celtics team.  The only real information we have to go off of is how he has performed in the NBA thus far, and it has been below expectation.  Could he do well in Boston?  Perhaps.  But I think to dismiss all other information out there and call it a "masterstroke" is a little too much of a superlative for me.

Still, I'd probably do the deal.  It's time to start upgrading some of our bench players to starters.  This is how teams get better.. by consolidating, not by watering down.

Like your read on almost all of this. Baby is a nice piece but I wonder if he's even starting quality given his height and issues finishing at the rim. Obviously, he's no all-star.

Agree also on Beasley. I'd make the deal too. But there are legitimate red flags on this kid. There's no guarantee he's gonna get it together in the future.