Author Topic: idea: Baby and 19th pick for Beasley  (Read 12828 times)

Re: idea: Baby and 19th pick for Beasley
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2010, 05:15:17 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
TP for the thread.

As I've said on other threads, the misperception that some of you have about Beasley is humorous, albeit wildly off base. He is a good kid who loves the game, but who's immature and a little headstrong - an awful lot like the point guard in green who in a lot of your minds can do no wrong.

Acquiring Beasley would be a masterstroke by Ainge. Not sure I want to trade Davis for him, but Beasley is precisely the kind of player that - with some mentoring by KG and Pierce - could grow into the bridge star that we so desperately need to move forward.

Make the call, Danny. Right now.

Gotta call you out on this one a bit CoachBo.

You're suggesting other people's perceptions of Beasley are humorous but you're not really saying much about Beasley besides it would be a "masterstroke". Why? Them's big words.

I'm agnostic on the guy, myself. Could be a career underperforming head case, or maybe, as you suggest, we could deal for him and he could turn into a Robert Parish-like talent grab.

Can someone convince me one way or another?

Apples to orangatun comparison.  Parish was already putting up great numbers and was a solid player when we acquired him.  For where he was drafted, Beasley is a bust so far.  Nothing I've seen so far tells me he'll be much better than he already is.

Whether he has anything in common with Rondo???  Rondo may be headstrong, but he's bought into what's being run on both ends of the court.  Beasley looks completely lost on the court a lot of the time.

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2010, 05:33:29 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Parish is an excellent comparison, for those of you with an open mind.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2010, 05:56:42 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Parish is an excellent comparison, for those of you with an open mind.

Coach, I'd be excited to get a high octane young guy who's barely sniffed the league....but wonder about the possiblility of negative intangibles....so many talented players end up unwanted for non baskteball reasons.....

But I have a basketball question for you.....Should Beasley play at the 3 and 4, or should he play primarily at one or the other?

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2010, 06:00:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This is pretty simple.

I know Beasley. I know people who know Beasley more intimately than I do.

Yet I'm supposed to take some poster seriously because they've looked in his eyes? Please. That's just internet nonsense.

Those of you who've concluded he's trouble are sitting behind a computer and have never met the kid. Not once. You watch a couple of games on TV and conclude that you can see into a player's head? That's why you're not an NBA official.

Let me spell it out a little clearer: Michael Beasley and Rajon Rondo have a LOT in common. Immature. Headstrong. Etc. Enter the draft early, and sometimes you need a mentor or two to move you along the road toward growing up and becoming a pro. Maybe those of you who want to sit as judge and jury here sans any tangible information ought to consider exactly the makeup of the Miami locker room.

Those of you who have concluded that he's trouble are - in a word - wrong. And yes, Beasley in green would be an absolute masterstroke. Period.

So consider this a call-out in return of those of you who think you can watch a couple of games on television and see into a player's heart. Whether Michael lands in Boston is anyone's guess.

But you are wrong - dead wrong - about the kid and his character. Feel free to opine away. Just know that there's someone here who knows better.

Beasley will eventually be a star in this league somewhere, if he can find somewhere patient enough to wait on him - kinda like the seven years we've been waiting on Tony Allen or the four years we've been waiting on Rondo to learn how to shoot fouls. We do not have the chips to deal star-for-star and, to channel the RealGMification of this blog, no, Danny Ainge is not going to pull a Hall of Famer out of the second round.

So a move like this - if it can be made - makes perfect sense for the future of the Boston Celtics.

When you know a player or know someone that knows a player, you tend to trust your opinion or those of the people feeding you the info over the media driven information available on a player.

For instance, I am best friends with two prominent people in athletics, one in the ACC, one in the Big 12. The one in the Big 12 knew J.R. Giddens and told me that Danny Ainge made a huge mistake and told me some stories of Giddens that have never been published. I trusted my friend, never thought highly of Giddens and sure enough what he told me panned out.

My friend from the ACC has given me some inside stuff on two ACC players that might be available to the Celtics in the second round. Let me just say that I'm a much bigger fan of Jon Scheyer than I am the more highly touted Greivis Vasquez.

So if CoachBo says trust him on Beasley, I will. I think Beasley really should have stayed in college another year for pure maturation reasons. His talent is undeniable IMO, it's just a gamble on his mindset that one has to get through.

For Rasheed Wallace's retiring contract, I'd take Beasley every single day over savings of millions in Wyc's pockets. He is, afterall, only 21 years old.

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 06:14:44 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
This is pretty simple.

Yet I'm supposed to take some poster seriously because they've looked in his eyes? Please. That's just internet nonsense.

Those of you who've concluded he's trouble are sitting behind a computer and have never met the kid. Not once. You watch a couple of games on TV and conclude that you can see into a player's head? That's why you're not an NBA official.

Let me spell it out a little clearer: Michael Beasley and Rajon Rondo have a LOT in common. Immature. Headstrong. Etc. Enter the draft early, and sometimes you need a mentor or two to move you along the road toward growing up and becoming a pro. Maybe those of you who want to sit as judge and jury here sans any tangible information ought to consider exactly the makeup of the Miami locker room.

Those of you who have concluded that he's trouble are - in a word - wrong. And yes, Beasley in green would be an absolute masterstroke. Period.

So consider this a call-out in return of those of you who think you can watch a couple of games on television and see into a player's heart. Whether Michael lands in Boston is anyone's guess.

But you are wrong - dead wrong - about the kid and his character. Feel free to opine away. Just know that there's someone here who knows better.

Beasley will eventually be a star in this league somewhere, if he can find somewhere patient enough to wait on him - kinda like the seven years we've been waiting on Tony Allen or the four years we've been waiting on Rondo to learn how to shoot fouls. We do not have the chips to deal star-for-star and, to channel the RealGMification of this blog, no, Danny Ainge is not going to pull a Hall of Famer out of the second round.

So a move like this - if it can be made - makes perfect sense for the future of the Boston Celtics.

When you know a player or know someone that knows a player, you tend to trust your opinion or those of the people feeding you the info over the media driven information available on a player.

For instance, I am best friends with two prominent people in athletics, one in the ACC, one in the Big 12. The one in the Big 12 knew J.R. Giddens and told me that Danny Ainge made a huge mistake and told me some stories of Giddens that have never been published. I trusted my friend, never thought highly of Giddens and sure enough what he told me panned out.

My friend from the ACC has given me some inside stuff on two ACC players that might be available to the Celtics in the second round. Let me just say that I'm a much bigger fan of Jon Scheyer than I am the more highly touted Greivis Vasquez.

So if CoachBo says trust him on Beasley, I will. I think Beasley really should have stayed in college another year for pure maturation reasons. His talent is undeniable IMO, it's just a gamble on his mindset that one has to get through.

For Rasheed Wallace's retiring contract, I'd take Beasley every single day over savings of millions in Wyc's pockets. He is, afterall, only 21 years old.

99.9% of blog statements made about a players intangibles, motor, etc...are not based on personal experience.  It's great when it's there.  Sign me up for Beasley.  But we'll have to shut down the blog if we disallow impersonal, uninformed, non-insider opinions.

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2010, 06:21:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
This is pretty simple.

99.9% of blog statements made about a players intangibles, motor, etc...are not based on personal experience.  It's great when it's there.  Sign me up for Beasley.  But we'll have to shut down the blog if we disallow impersonal, uninformed, non-insider opinions.
That's not what I am saying. All opinions are welcome and encouraged, but I am saying I will trust people who's opinion's I trust over those of the media driven variety.

Also, if someone watches the Heat a lot and has seen Beasley play more than the 9-10 times I have, I would trust their opinion, as long as I trust their basketball knowledge, as well.

That's all I am saying.

For instance, some people just read the draft sites and form definitive opinions on players based on those sites. I am a big follower of college basketball and watch a ton of it. I form most of my draft opinions based on what I have seen while supplementing it with draft site info.

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 06:27:01 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Am I allowed to say I'd rather draft Daniel Orton than trade the pick?

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2010, 06:31:19 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
This is pretty simple.

That's not what I am saying. All opinions are welcome and encouraged, but I am saying I will trust people who's opinion's I trust over those of the media driven variety.

Also, if someone watches the Heat a lot and has seen Beasley play more than the 9-10 times I have, I would trust their opinion, as long as I trust their basketball knowledge, as well.

That's all I am saying.

For instance, some people just read the draft sites and form definitive opinions on players based on those sites. I am a big follower of college basketball and watch a ton of it. I form most of my draft opinions based on what I have seen while supplementing it with draft site info.

100% agree.  You always go first with your own eyeballs and the resulting intuition.  And if you know someone with inside info that you  trust...You use it...I just thought Coach was a bit unfair in his post, possibly hypocritical.  Red flags on players is a part of the business, whether one is a clueless hack blogger or a seasoned scout.  I'm sure he's ragged on people without knowing them personally.  But fair enough....he knows the guy and is defending him.  

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2010, 06:35:27 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Beasley = Vin Baker, minus the alcohol.  Head case...lost cause.  Sorry, want nothing to do with this clown.

I'd love to hear what D. Wade has to say about this tool in private...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2010, 06:50:32 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
id rather trade Shelden and 19th for Yi from the nets

Yi is already a good shooter, has range better than sheed. Length, speed and he is also young

Yi lacks post-game and is only an average defender

under Garnett Yi can develop a post-up game. The dude works very hard like Yao. He's not a total bust for he can post up double doubles before his injury in the first half of the season.

Beasley on the other hand in my opinion just wants to show boat.

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2010, 07:02:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
id rather trade Shelden and 19th for Yi from the nets

Yi is already a good shooter, has range better than sheed. Length, speed and he is also young

Yi lacks post-game and is only an average defender

under Garnett Yi can develop a post-up game. The dude works very hard like Yao. He's not a total bust for he can post up double doubles before his injury in the first half of the season.

Beasley on the other hand in my opinion just wants to show boat.
Shelden is a free agent, you can't trade him.

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2010, 07:39:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
I think Beasley's potential is to be a 20-25ppg scorer with a solid true shooting percentage of around 54-55% + along with good defense (solid but unexceptional team defense and man-to-man defense that varies widely depending on the matchup due to his lack of size/smarts) + below average but serviceable rebounding (8-8.5 boards per 36 minutes) + low level passing ability.

Some improvement with his shot selection and a better understanding of how to draw fouls + his continued development defensively where he has made a lot of progress already. I think those are two areas where he can, and should, see a lot of improvement over the next few years.

Beasley showed great rebounding in college but I'm not convinced his understanding of the game is good enough to reproduce that in the NBA. Ditto with his passing ability (my lack of expectations for improvement there). Too focused on his own scoring. Not convinced of Beasley's commitment to be a dominant player in areas outside of scoring.

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2010, 08:22:12 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Even though I really like Big Baby, and I'm not so sure I "like" Beasley.. I think you make that trade. Beasley could be a 20 PPG guy right now with a little coaching and 35 minutes per night. If he's a good kid, get him in here while KG, Perk and Clifford Ray are all still here to mold him.

What worries me, is how does he get that opportunity on this team? If we're not blowing things up, where does he play? Kid needs minutes to work things out, not as a bench player.

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would do the Wallace trade if the Celtics could not use him in a bigger trade.

I would not trade Davis for him. 

Beasley has more gifts. 

Davis shows up more for the big game.

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2010, 06:39:53 PM »

Offline Kenhov

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 17
A trade that works is

Boston sends Rasheed Wallace and 2011 1st round pick and 2010 2nd round pick

Miami sends Michael Beasley and Daquaen Cook and pick #18

Rasheed then retires and this opens up almost $7 million in cap space as the Heat knock Cook's and Beasley's salaries down to the $495,000 minimum roster spot hold and the #18 pick $1.29 million hold down to $495,000 minimum hold as well.

When the Heat resign Wade they would then have

Wade - $17.1 million
Chalmers - $0.9 million
And 10 minimum roster holds of $495,000 - $4.95 million

That's $23 million in salary and holds with a salary cap at say $56 million. It would allow the Heat to sign LeBron and either Bosh or Boozer or sign Amare and Boozer. Of course the team would then have to sign like 10 vet minimum players but so what, in two off seasons you have a dynasty after adding 3 first round draft picks and 2 MLE players to a core of Wade, Lebron, Chalmers and Bosh.

On the Boston side of this trade the C's then can resign Ray Allen and use the #18 and #19 picks to build the future with while maintaining the ability to compete for the championship for the next couple years. Also, the trading for beasley and Cook allows the C's to concentrate the use of the MLE on a big man.

Use the MLE on Brendan Haywood, Jermaine O'Neal or Udonis Haslem.

Use pick #18 on James Anderson or Xavier Henry or Lance Stephenson or Jordan Crawford

Use pick #19 on Solomon Alabi or Daniel Orton or Hassan Whiteside or Larry Sanders

Resign Nate Robinson

Rondo/Nate
Allan/Cook/#18
Pierce/Beasley
KG/Baby
Perk/(Haywood or O'Neal)/#19

I love the odea of having Beasley plus 18 and 19.

James Anderson and Whiteside / Sanders for me.

But the player I would really like is Demarcus Cousins.