Author Topic: idea: Baby and 19th pick for Beasley  (Read 12827 times)

Re: idea: Baby and 19th pick for Beasley
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 09:28:43 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Right now they're about the same player, but Baby has heart. From what I've seen Beasley isn't really a competitor and I wouldn't want him on my team when the chips are down. He reminds me a lot of Carter attitude wise. If you look into his eyes he even has that same dead inside look like when VC bricked those two freethrows in the ECF. I'd rather keep Baby.

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 09:38:50 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The above post is a perfect example of an errant perception of Beasley.

Not a competitor?

Uh, no.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 10:13:38 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
A trade that works is

Boston sends Rasheed Wallace and 2011 1st round pick and 2010 2nd round pick

Miami sends Michael Beasley and Daquaen Cook and pick #18

Rasheed then retires and this opens up almost $7 million in cap space as the Heat knock Cook's and Beasley's salaries down to the $495,000 minimum roster spot hold and the #18 pick $1.29 million hold down to $495,000 minimum hold as well.

When the Heat resign Wade they would then have

Wade - $17.1 million
Chalmers - $0.9 million
And 10 minimum roster holds of $495,000 - $4.95 million

That's $23 million in salary and holds with a salary cap at say $56 million. It would allow the Heat to sign LeBron and either Bosh or Boozer or sign Amare and Boozer. Of course the team would then have to sign like 10 vet minimum players but so what, in two off seasons you have a dynasty after adding 3 first round draft picks and 2 MLE players to a core of Wade, Lebron, Chalmers and Bosh.

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 10:57:10 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
I like the retiring Rasheed for Beasley trade including some combination of draft picks if needed but I don't like Davis for Beasley.  If we did get Beasley (and I like Beasley) I think Davis would be a nice guy to have on the team to kind of run with Beasley.  The influence of KG and PP plus of course Doc is one thing but having more of a peer is what make even more difference.

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 11:13:54 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
A trade that works is

Rasheed then retires and this opens up almost $7 million in cap space as the Heat knock Cook's and Beasley's salaries down to the $495,000 minimum roster spot hold and the #18 pick $1.29 million hold down to $495,000 minimum hold as well.

Wade - $17.1 million
Chalmers - $0.9 million

That's $23 million in salary and holds with a salary cap at say $56 million. It would allow the Heat to sign LeBron and either Bosh or Boozer or sign Amare and Boozer. Of course the team would then have to sign like 10 vet minimum players but so what, in two off seasons you have a dynasty after adding 3 first round draft picks and 2 MLE players to a core of Wade, Lebron, Chalmers and Bosh.

On the Boston side of this trade the C's then can resign Ray Allen and use the #18 and #19 picks to build the future with while maintaining the ability to compete for the championship for the next couple years. Also, the trading for beasley and Cook allows the C's to concentrate the use of the MLE on a big man.

Use the MLE on Brendan Haywood, Jermaine O'Neal or Udonis Haslem.

Use pick #18 on James Anderson or Xavier Henry or Lance Stephenson or Jordan Crawford

Use pick #19 on Solomon Alabi or Daniel Orton or Hassan Whiteside or Larry Sanders

Resign Nate Robinson

Rondo/Nate
Allan/Cook/#18
Pierce/Beasley
KG/Baby
Perk/(Haywood or O'Neal)/#19

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 01:07:42 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
A trade that works is

Wade - $17.1 million
Chalmers - $0.9 million

On the Boston side of this trade the C's then can resign Ray Allen and use the #18 and #19 picks to build the future with while maintaining the ability to compete for the championship for the next couple years. Also, the trading for beasley and Cook allows the C's to concentrate the use of the MLE on a big man.

Use the MLE on Brendan Haywood, Jermaine O'Neal or Udonis Haslem.

Use pick #18 on James Anderson or Xavier Henry or Lance Stephenson or Jordan Crawford

Use pick #19 on Solomon Alabi or Daniel Orton or Hassan Whiteside or Larry Sanders

Resign Nate Robinson

Rondo/Nate
Allan/Cook/#18
Pierce/Beasley
KG/Baby
Perk/(Haywood or O'Neal)/#19

Respectfully, I wouldn't want O'Neal or Beasley anywhere near Boston unless they're in an opponent's uniform.  O'Neal is a malcontent who plays when he feels like playing and it's hard to tell when Beasley plays to his talent at all.

Haslem, Cook, absolutely.  But neither of them bring what Davis does. 

I'd be surprised if Haywood doesn't get more than the MLE.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 01:38:30 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
If the rumors are true then Miami wants nothing to due with Beasley. They allegedly tried trading Beasley to New Jersey for Keyon Dooling a couple weeks back which from a talent stand point makes absolutely no sense.

If they are in fact trying to get rid of Beasley then why couldn't we get in on that? Big Baby and a first rounder is a much better option than Keyon Dooling.

From a talent standpoint, no, the trade doesn't quite track.

The deal would have benefited Miami because of Dooling's partially-guaranteed contract. The Heat could have cut him, and opened up a bunch more cap space to land a big-name free agent. That would have been the logic behind such a deal.

Additionally, Baby's BYC status doesn't expire until July 1. A draft-night trade for Beasley would not work, per CBA guidelines.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
I wouldn't even consider trading Big Baby, but would rather him be our starting pf when KG retires. I believe he is going to become our next KG.

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
I wouldn't even consider trading Big Baby, but would rather him be our starting pf when KG retires. I believe he is going to become our next KG.

Uh.

What?

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 02:49:24 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
TP for the thread.

As I've said on other threads, the misperception that some of you have about Beasley is humorous, albeit wildly off base. He is a good kid who loves the game, but who's immature and a little headstrong - an awful lot like the point guard in green who in a lot of your minds can do no wrong.

Acquiring Beasley would be a masterstroke by Ainge. Not sure I want to trade Davis for him, but Beasley is precisely the kind of player that - with some mentoring by KG and Pierce - could grow into the bridge star that we so desperately need to move forward.

Make the call, Danny. Right now.

Gotta call you out on this one a bit CoachBo.

You're suggesting other people's perceptions of Beasley are humorous but you're not really saying much about Beasley besides it would be a "masterstroke". Why? Them's big words.

I'm agnostic on the guy, myself. Could be a career underperforming head case, or maybe, as you suggest, we could deal for him and he could turn into a Robert Parish-like talent grab.

Can someone convince me one way or another?

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 04:42:34 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
To add to the doubters side on Beasely, the phrase "desperate to get rid of him" never sounds too good.....I get that that could be partly perception and not reflect entirely on the player (cap space equation etc...), but it would seem D. Wade ain't enamored....

I agree that sometimes when a guy is uber rejected by his team it's a good time to pounce, but the idea (unworkable as shown) of giving up Baby and the 19th pick?  We can't be giving up two youngs for 1 unless it's for something more solid.....or a star even.

Nick's idea sounds wonderful except I don't know he squeezed the 18th pick out of Miami as well......

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 04:47:47 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

I wouldn't trade Baby either, considering how you can't measure heart and he comes up big when it matters.  But to say he's the next KG?  Um, no.  He's a super valuable sub though.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 04:57:19 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I would really like Beasley on this team. I think he is playing out of position at the 4, move him to the back up 3 and we're in business.

It seems like Miami is really not asking for much for Beasley. Ryan Russilo on the NBA today podcast a little while ago said that Miami offered Jersey Beasley for the expiring contract of Keyon Dooling and the nets said no.

I'm not sure what we could give Miami for him but if they are almost giving him away we should try to take him.

If Sheed in fact retires, I think we should use that chip to acquire Beasley.  It seems Miami is looking for cap relief in return.

Then see if we can use the MLE to pry away a guy like Anthony Morrow from GSW or Travis Outlaw. Ad use the #19 pick to get the best available player, regardless of position.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2010, 05:05:24 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
TP for the thread.

As I've said on other threads, the misperception that some of you have about Beasley is humorous, albeit wildly off base. He is a good kid who loves the game, but who's immature and a little headstrong - an awful lot like the point guard in green who in a lot of your minds can do no wrong.

Acquiring Beasley would be a masterstroke by Ainge. Not sure I want to trade Davis for him, but Beasley is precisely the kind of player that - with some mentoring by KG and Pierce - could grow into the bridge star that we so desperately need to move forward.

Make the call, Danny. Right now.

Gotta call you out on this one a bit CoachBo.

You're suggesting other people's perceptions of Beasley are humorous but you're not really saying much about Beasley besides it would be a "masterstroke". Why? Them's big words.

I'm agnostic on the guy, myself. Could be a career underperforming head case, or maybe, as you suggest, we could deal for him and he could turn into a Robert Parish-like talent grab.

Can someone convince me one way or another?

I think people's perception of Beasley is a bit off. Yes, the kid has off the court issues, but look at his situation. He was what? 19 when he came into the league? There were rumors about his immaturity and focus in college, so he ends up in the party city that is South Beach Miami, on a team that really didn't have a tremendous amount of players to mentor him and guide him through his rookie season (yes, Dwade is the guy in the locker room but there's not really "council of vets" like other teams have).

IMO, you put Beas in Boston on a team with mentors/vets such KG and Pierce (maybe Ray and Doc?). Show him a good environment where winning is the ONLY focus. Couple him on the court with an explosive guy like Rondo and a defensive stalwart like Perk - I like that combination A LOT.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2010, 05:12:38 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
This is pretty simple.

I know Beasley. I know people who know Beasley more intimately than I do.

Yet I'm supposed to take some poster seriously because they've looked in his eyes? Please. That's just internet nonsense.

Those of you who've concluded he's trouble are sitting behind a computer and have never met the kid. Not once. You watch a couple of games on TV and conclude that you can see into a player's head? That's why you're not an NBA official.

Let me spell it out a little clearer: Michael Beasley and Rajon Rondo have a LOT in common. Immature. Headstrong. Etc. Enter the draft early, and sometimes you need a mentor or two to move you along the road toward growing up and becoming a pro. Maybe those of you who want to sit as judge and jury here sans any tangible information ought to consider exactly the makeup of the Miami locker room.

Those of you who have concluded that he's trouble are - in a word - wrong. And yes, Beasley in green would be an absolute masterstroke. Period.

So consider this a call-out in return of those of you who think you can watch a couple of games on television and see into a player's heart. Whether Michael lands in Boston is anyone's guess.

But you are wrong - dead wrong - about the kid and his character. Feel free to opine away. Just know that there's someone here who knows better.

Beasley will eventually be a star in this league somewhere, if he can find somewhere patient enough to wait on him - kinda like the seven years we've been waiting on Tony Allen or the four years we've been waiting on Rondo to learn how to shoot fouls. We do not have the chips to deal star-for-star and, to channel the RealGMification of this blog, no, Danny Ainge is not going to pull a Hall of Famer out of the second round.

So a move like this - if it can be made - makes perfect sense for the future of the Boston Celtics.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 05:31:27 PM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."