Author Topic: Bulls players debated whether to show up at practice today.  (Read 7712 times)

Bulls players debated whether to show up at practice today.
« on: December 09, 2018, 07:07:28 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Per multiple sources, players started a group text exchange debating whether to show up at practice facility today. They ultimately decided to show up and told coaching staff they wanted players only meeting, which was followed by the meeting with coaches.

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/1071895248958382085

https://twitter.com/CodyWesterlund/status/1071618934661627905

Re: Bulls players debated whether to show up at practice today.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 07:15:30 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Daniel Theis beat the bulls so bad that the bulls don’t even want to bounce a ball today. Lol

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 07:51:25 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
after reading the above, i understand the coach's thinking on not playing starters. a loss is a loss, practice serves the team better right now. fine.

but that the players did not realize that means the coach did not communicate this well to the team. that is a failure on the coaching staff. moves such as this need player buy in.

poor communication with players by coaches creates the need for player-only-meetings...which is not a good sign.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 07:59:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
and Hoiberg was the problem

Give me a break.  Front office needs to be gutted.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 08:02:45 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
after reading the above, i understand the coach's thinking on not playing starters. a loss is a loss, practice serves the team better right now. fine.

but that the players did not realize that means the coach did not communicate this well to the team. that is a failure on the coaching staff. moves such as this need player buy in.

poor communication with players by coaches creates the need for player-only-meetings...which is not a good sign.

I disagree with this.

There is always a lot of talk about tanking ruining culture on teams but it usually doesn't happen that way because tanking mostly happens higher up. Something like this though, the coach basically giving up, can breed a losing culture, I think. Can you imagine Brad Stevens just throwing a game away before it was absolutely decided?

That said, I wonder what the players were thinking about when they were thinking about not coming to practice. In Protest? They're the ones who got their butts beat.

This sounds like a bad stew brewing in Chicago.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 10:45:57 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
In one swift move, new coach lost his guys. Substituting all five of your starters in one go is unheard of and embarrassing.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 10:55:35 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Celtics players asking if they even need any more practice after destroying the Bulls.

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 11:17:57 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
SMH.. They actually discussed not going to practice?? Are they not being payed?

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 11:24:59 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I disagree with this.

There is always a lot of talk about tanking ruining culture on teams but it usually doesn't happen that way because tanking mostly happens higher up. Something like this though, the coach basically giving up, can breed a losing culture, I think. Can you imagine Brad Stevens just throwing a game away before it was absolutely decided?

That said, I wonder what the players were thinking about when they were thinking about not coming to practice. In Protest? They're the ones who got their butts beat.

This sounds like a bad stew brewing in Chicago.

When is a game “absolutely decided” though?

I mean, at what point did you think to yourself “there’s no way we lose this game?” Chances are, it was pretty early. They were absolutely pathetic on every level to start the game.

I’m ok with what he did, and I’d be ok with Stevens doing it to our guys. I guess the only difference is guys like Horford, Irving, Baynes/Morris/Smart/Hayward would understand it.

His roster is full of kids like Parker and LaVine who don’t care about winning and losing but putting up 20+.

It felt like we could have rattled off a 20-6 run or whatever against the starters any time we really wanted. Yes we are a better team, but they showed no indication they came to play.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 02:23:57 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Well if anything those players embarrassed themselves with their performance , same as the coach don't trust them because they don't earn any trust, if i'm the coach i will say go ahead, whoever don't come to practice will be in dog house , if GM disagree and fire me that's fine but as long as i'm the coach i have that right so don't give me that sxxx attitude

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 03:19:49 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I think the players are also at fault here but come coach. With the way things are, every game is every game is very difficult for your team to win. So you aren't gonna play your starters at all just so you can practice?

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 03:55:32 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
When you lose by 60 points I think that players should take it personally, and not throw the coach under the bus immediately. I don't know if Boylen is a good coach or not up to this point, but you have to look yourself in the mirror and perform better if you are a player.

If I am the Bulls I would try to ship Jabari (who I presume was in the "won't come to practice" camp). He is weak on defense, his contract ends this year and they could get a 2nd rounder for him IMO.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 05:00:13 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
When you lose by 60 points I think that players should take it personally, and not throw the coach under the bus immediately. I don't know if Boylen is a good coach or not up to this point, but you have to look yourself in the mirror and perform better if you are a player.

If I am the Bulls I would try to ship Jabari (who I presume was in the "won't come to practice" camp). He is weak on defense, his contract ends this year and they could get a 2nd rounder for him IMO.

They did play better. Their starters were +5 in the second quarter. If you're the coach of the team you do not give up on the game, which their coach did judging by his comments. The bulls fan are p---ed off at what he did, not only he gave up on the game in the 3rd, he allowed a franchise record. I would not be surprised if fans ask for their money back.

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 06:00:39 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

They did play better. Their starters were +5 in the second quarter. If you're the coach of the team you do not give up on the game, which their coach did judging by his comments. The bulls fan are p---ed off at what he did, not only he gave up on the game in the 3rd, he allowed a franchise record. I would not be surprised if fans ask for their money back.
How do you mean he allowed it and the players didn't allow it?
Do they get a free pass for this performance?
I guess we see it differently.
Seems to me like this is just another team issue that boiled the whole thing over the top.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 06:05:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

How do you mean he allowed it and the players didn't allow it?
Do they get a free pass for this performance?
I guess we see it differently.
Seems to me like this is just another team issue that boiled the whole thing over the top.
He allowed it by not playing the better players in the 2nd half because he determined a 21 point lead was insurmountable (even though Boston extended the lead by 23 in the 4th quarter).  the 2nd quarter was actually pretty close.  It is one thing to throw in the towel down 21 with 3 minutes left, entirely another with 24 minutes left in the game.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip