Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450057 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #1020 on: October 16, 2018, 05:04:14 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
The site has to have advertising revenue. I think everyone would like an exact replica of the last site but I can understand that sacrifices will need to be made so advertising can have it's space.

For sure, I'm just suggesting cannibalizing the Community and Fantasy menus, I pretty much keep those minimized anyway. Or maybe just making Latest Discussions expandable or pageable.

We're definitely open to suggestions, and probably you will see things change periodically as we experiment. That said, it's very difficult to get ads to perform at all on a forum so while I try to keep them tasteful (e.g. NBA on a basketball forum) they probably will get prime real estate from time to time.

The community and fantasy panels, we're hoping to add more structure to those and make them more useful. More official fantasy leagues, community events, game threads always highlighted etc so that new people always see the key stuff.

That said, I could probably bump back up the number of latest posts as things develop. I appreciate the feedback.

You rock! Be careful...Soon your TPs will double your posts if you keep being so awesome

« Reply #1021 on: October 16, 2018, 06:14:36 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The site has to have advertising revenue. I think everyone would like an exact replica of the last site but I can understand that sacrifices will need to be made so advertising can have it's space.

For sure, I'm just suggesting cannibalizing the Community and Fantasy menus, I pretty much keep those minimized anyway. Or maybe just making Latest Discussions expandable or pageable.

We're definitely open to suggestions, and probably you will see things change periodically as we experiment. That said, it's very difficult to get ads to perform at all on a forum so while I try to keep them tasteful (e.g. NBA on a basketball forum) they probably will get prime real estate from time to time.

The community and fantasy panels, we're hoping to add more structure to those and make them more useful. More official fantasy leagues, community events, game threads always highlighted etc so that new people always see the key stuff.

That said, I could probably bump back up the number of latest posts as things develop. I appreciate the feedback.

Sure thing, I know we've gotta balance a lot of interests and a looming one is revenue. Just expressing my preference - some kind of way to see more of the latest topics, even if it was just a link to a bigger list or something would help me keep track of things a little better. Appreciate all the work you and other folks have done in this transition.

That said, it's very difficult to get ads to perform at all on a forum so while I try to keep them tasteful (e.g. NBA on a basketball forum) they probably will get prime real estate from time to time.

Something you've probably thought of but daily fantasy sites? Preferably of the basketball kind of course.  Or custom/niche merch sites.

« Reply #1022 on: November 05, 2018, 11:50:04 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Thanks very much for expanding the Discussion box!  Definitely did not go unnoticed or unappreciated. We have so much more room for activities!

« Reply #1023 on: November 05, 2018, 05:21:04 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Thanks guys. Definitely listening. We've got a DraftKings promo going now, unfortunately their banners are all football this time of year but I started setting up a basketball league as well for invite-only CelticsStrong-ers who are interested:

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=98038.msg2575490#new
https://www.draftkings.com/gateway?s=366088210

« Reply #1024 on: November 13, 2018, 07:54:32 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I would like to know why Roy H is allowed to label Kanye's critics "Democratic Party Shills" but I am not allowed to list clear progressive beliefs of the progressive wing of the Democratic party, and why I got a warning, but he did not.

I was publicly accused of "labeling in a broad brush" and was told if I didn't like it to privately disagree or to comply and then bring it up procedurally in an entirely different thread. And yet Roy was not labeling with a broad brush?

I consider this an obviously targeted double standard and request an explanation/clarification and an apology.

Further......before mods continue to threaten to remove people from things, many of whom donated to this page, I think it would behoove them to realize who the owner of this site is, and is not, and to realize this page now has a monetary component. I hope they have checked with byennie and his partner about his vision for a business model and whether or not it's appropriate going forward to threaten to remove eyeballs from a site that relies on them for advertising.

Perhaps it would make sense for byennie and/or his partner to review the rules and re endorse them or edit/revise them as he thinks he may need to. Perhaps that should be annual.

I think this is a very fair question.  While I disagree with 95% of Eja's statements I wholeheartedly support his right to say them.

Silencing discent regarding law is the first move of autocrats and dictators.  ESPECIALLY troubling is that when Eja questioned how his behavior was different than that of moderators he was threatened with banishment from this site.  This in my opinion was a blatant abuse of the powers of moderation and is worthy of censure. 

« Reply #1025 on: November 13, 2018, 08:00:39 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sure thing, I know we've gotta balance a lot of interests and a looming one is revenue. Just expressing my preference - some kind of way to see more of the latest topics, even if it was just a link to a bigger list or something would help me keep track of things a little better. Appreciate all the work you and other folks have done in this transition.

How about taking personal responsibility for this and google Celtics news by yourself.   It is what I do and it does not take much time without adding the responsibilities to folks that run this wonderful blog and are not paid help.

« Reply #1026 on: November 13, 2018, 09:44:27 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

How about taking personal responsibility for this and google Celtics news by yourself.   It is what I do and it does not take much time without adding the responsibilities to folks that run this wonderful blog and are not paid help.

That's not what he's asking for. He's saying he wants to see more of which topics are most recently active. Not the most recent celtics news (although that would be a big part of any celtics fan site).

And, if you read further on, they did it. So thanks again to Byennie and like..whoever else is doing that stuff.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1027 on: November 13, 2018, 11:13:10 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I would like to know why Roy H is allowed to label Kanye's critics "Democratic Party Shills" but I am not allowed to list clear progressive beliefs of the progressive wing of the Democratic party, and why I got a warning, but he did not.

I was publicly accused of "labeling in a broad brush" and was told if I didn't like it to privately disagree or to comply and then bring it up procedurally in an entirely different thread. And yet Roy was not labeling with a broad brush?

I consider this an obviously targeted double standard and request an explanation/clarification and an apology.

Further......before mods continue to threaten to remove people from things, many of whom donated to this page, I think it would behoove them to realize who the owner of this site is, and is not, and to realize this page now has a monetary component. I hope they have checked with byennie and his partner about his vision for a business model and whether or not it's appropriate going forward to threaten to remove eyeballs from a site that relies on them for advertising.

Perhaps it would make sense for byennie and/or his partner to review the rules and re endorse them or edit/revise them as he thinks he may need to. Perhaps that should be annual.

I think this is a very fair question.  While I disagree with 95% of Eja's statements I wholeheartedly support his right to say them.

Silencing discent regarding law is the first move of autocrats and dictators.  ESPECIALLY troubling is that when Eja questioned how his behavior was different than that of moderators he was threatened with banishment from this site.  This in my opinion was a blatant abuse of the powers of moderation and is worthy of censure. 

With all due respect, I can assure you that there was way more to that situation & poster than what posters saw in this thread.

We've lived with a set of posting guidelines for over a decade now.  When posters decide to join & post on, first CB, & now CS, they are expected abide by them.   If people don't like the guidelines, they are free to post elsewhere. 

If they violate those guidelines, there are going to be ramifications.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1028 on: November 13, 2018, 11:44:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

To be clear, the “abuse of power” was:

1. nick enforcing our written rules;
2. citing those rules;
3. reminding a poster that he’s allowed to publicly disagree with the rules, but must do it in this thread

Also, Eja was given multiple explanations. He just felt like blowing a gasket.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1029 on: November 13, 2018, 01:15:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
And to be completely clear here, this is obviously against the rules of the CE Forum:

To be a woke leftist you have to be anti capitalist, anti family, anti unborn baby, anti traditional marriage, anti Christian, anti white cis gender male, and you definitely have to be anti-non violent. And you have to believe only certain authorities on the left should have guns. They're a step away from Mao's cultural revolution.

From the rules:

Do not label or challenge fellow posters -- either individually or collectively -- in a way that is likely to provoke a negative response.

Do not engage in partisan attacks, unsupported generalizations, or mockery of opposing viewpoints.

Also, Roy's use of the term Democratic shills was aimed at CNN and their commentators that made the despicable comments towards Kanye. I am liberal and can see that CNN, MSNBC and many radio and you tube channel hosts are Democratic shills. I also believe that Fox and a bunch of radio and you tube hosts are Republican shills.   

Given that this is a definition of a shill there is nothing wrong with what Roy said:

A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization.
If you had read farther you would have seen this explanation

Locked out again....
« Reply #1030 on: May 07, 2019, 06:02:36 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
Well the Admin strikes again.  Gosh, it is okay for some fans to make literally THOUSANDS of posts but when I make a topic about Stevens I guess it HAS to be made under another topic that is already started about him....wouldn't want to clutter up the forum now would we?

MikeB

Re: Locked out again....
« Reply #1031 on: May 07, 2019, 06:04:03 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Well the Admin strikes again.  Gosh, it is okay for some fans to make literally THOUSANDS of posts but when I make a topic about Stevens I guess it HAS to be made under another topic that is already started about him....wouldn't want to clutter up the forum now would we?

MikeB

This thread will end well lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #1032 on: May 07, 2019, 06:06:50 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
Didn't think my Topic was disrespectful - wonder how many disrespectful posts have been made on this forum...must be at least 2 others???    :-\

MikeB

« Reply #1033 on: May 07, 2019, 06:08:59 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Didn't think my Topic was disrespectful - wonder how many disrespectful posts have been made on this forum...must be at least 2 others???    :-\

MikeB

There has been a lot of disrespectful posts, and I'm not going to lie I have made a few without reserving judgment. But starting the thread with saying people who think otherwise is foolish isn't going to earn or gain you any favors from people here.

It's why I travel between here and reddit.

When I want to vent without the risk of being too obtuse, I go to reddit.

That being said, there has been an influx of posters who are very rude or unable to logically see other people's arguments without feeling personally attacked. But complaining about being locked from a thread isn't going to appease the moderators either.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #1034 on: May 07, 2019, 06:14:12 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
Monkhouse - I never said anyone was FOOLISH...  I merely was stating my opinion that Stevens will still be the coach no matter how many Celtics fans think he should go.  Wow, that really is a terrible hurtful thing to say right?

MikeB