Author Topic: Hayward is Killing Us. Needs Some Time in the G League to Rebuild Himself.  (Read 7875 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I really wish the G League was utilized more often by the NBA for its main guys and didn't have the stigma attached to it. The G League would be perfect for someone like Hayward to get his rhythm and confidence back, let alone his explosiveness and conditioning, because he simply isn't ready to be a steady contributor out there on the floor right now.

Tonight we saw him look very frustrated and down on himself for missing shots that he usually makes, which worries me now, as that will just impede his growth and ultimately hurt the team when he's out there if he lacks confidence in himself.

Coming back from such a major injury, the G League is the perfect context for someone like Hayward to build himself back up. Of course, it will never happen, because there's a stigma attached to a max-level player going to the G League for some reason, but I think a month down there with him dominating the competition would be great for him.

Re: Hayward is Killing Us. Needs Some Time in the G League to Rebuild Himself.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 11:40:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I'm not a baseball guy, but don't they use the minor leagues in a similar way for guys coming back from injuries?

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:43:51 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Hayward was a +4 tonight 3-7 with 8 points and 9 rebounds and two assists, the only bench player who wasn't a negative tonight was Robert Williams and he only played 2 minutes.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 11:46:22 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
 One thing I’ve noticed is that his body language tents to get negative once he misses a few shots or turns the ball over. I imagine it must be frustrating having a horrific injury and then being a shell of your former self that a team paid 30m a year for and not knowing if you will ever get back to where you were. But he can’t think like that he has to keep thinking happy thoughts.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 12:14:49 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I honestly feel like only Celtics fans would say this about one of their stars.

It’s such a long season and everyone wants to blame him. First it was removing him from the starting lineup, now it’s removing him from the team altogether.

The difference between the minors in baseball and the G-League is that they work to get their timing down. The G-League isn’t nearly as fast as the NBA, the players aren’t nearly as skilled. Baseball players can still get their timing back on 95mph pitches at any level in the minors, and still field pretty much exactly the same. Likewise, pitchers rehab down in the minors because it doesn’t matter if they get hit or not, they are just working on mechanics, location, and arm strength.

Imagine an NBA player getting seriously injured in the G-League? Does it really matter if he’s hitting mildly contested shots that would be well-covered in the NBA? I really don’t see how the G-League offers any more benefits for a player of Hayward’s magnitude than just practicing with the team and playing through it.

Other than Kyrie of late and Morris, nobody is immune to criticism of their play at times this season. Hayward has had some good games and some bad ones, but so has Brown, Tatum, Smart, Horford, etc.

Really not that concerned about Hayward or our 6-4 start. The hot takes here have been ridiculous, and expected.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 12:52:08 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Morris returned to his old self tonight. Oh, well....

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 01:14:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Hayward was a +4 tonight 3-7 with 8 points and 9 rebounds and two assists, the only bench player who wasn't a negative tonight was Robert Williams and he only played 2 minutes.
Yeah, Hayward killing us is completely out of touch. He has been no worse than Rozier, Tatum or Brown. He’s just paid more, but he also has an excuse for his poor start.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 06:10:37 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

That was mainly due to the second quarter. When the starters got off to a great start Stevens went with a second unit Rozier/Smart/Ojeleye/Morris/Baynes which couldn't sustain the offense with Rozier playing terribly and too few scorers and shooters. I thought that was a bad rotation by Stevens. You just have to hope that Morris gets red hot, since otherwise points won't come easy.

We had a 15 point lead and gave it away. You can't allow that. I think a more balanced rotation woud be the cure.

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 06:56:40 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Yeah, Hayward killing us is completely out of touch. He has been no worse than Rozier, Tatum or Brown. He’s just paid more, but he also has an excuse for his poor start.

If we're dealing in reality and not self-delusion it was easy to see this coming.  Hayward essentially went from rehab to pre-season with no training in between to figure out his post-injury body.

Naturally, with an overabundance of wings the Celtics rushed him back onto the court and shattered his confidance and possibly that of Jaylen Brown as well.

His career arc is basically identical to that of Wally Sczerbiak now.

And the curse of Isaiah continues...

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 09:10:38 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

Maybe it's because we're comparing current Hayward to historical Hayward. Current Hayward is still contributing but he's a long way away from historical Hayward, so people are harder on him.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 09:14:51 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
He is not great right now, and i complained and will complain every game until he gets better, BUT we are doing the right thing giving him the minutes in real games. 

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 09:19:24 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
the question is. Is it a physical problem or mental? It's not like he lost his shot while he was out. And we see glimpses of the old hayward at times.

I think you need to let him work through it. because if we want to go deep in June you need Hayward performing at a top level.

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 09:23:06 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Yeah, and maybe we can give Terry Rozier G-League minutes so he cannget all that shot-jacking out of his system. On this team he’s a bench player and he needs to get used to that. He wants to be big-time, and thats understandable with a contract coming up, but his contributions have been more forced and inconsistent than Hayward’s in my view.

The team needs TIME to gel. Hayward has been playing right around 25 minutes a game. Peak Hayward will be playing well over 30, pushing 40 even depending on the game/playoffs/matchup etc. Other guys also need to get used to the change. It’s a process and I don’t want us scraping for early victories at the expense of developing long term chemistry.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 09:25:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Jamal Murray scoring 48 points killed the Celtics.  That and the C's bench getting crushed by the Nuggets bench.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 09:31:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Maybe it's because we're comparing current Hayward to historical Hayward. Current Hayward is still contributing but he's a long way away from historical Hayward, so people are harder on him.
Definitely. I think people are lacking perspective 
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)